Biggest candle you make or know of being made

Do any of you folks make a "jumbo" special edition or holiday only candle? I went to a fair last year during winter holiday season and a candle maker there had a series of 64 oz mason jar type candles only offered in 4 scents. All 4 were of course Christmas themed scents. The thing is he sold everyone of them, I think around 20,  his first day.  So its got me thinking rainy day thoughts here and wondering if anyone here does anything similar?

Thoughts?

I have a 6" x 6" round 3 wick pillar mold that I make upon special requests. That thing is HUGE. It's been a long time since I've made one so I can't remember how many oz/lbs it will hold, but I know it will burn in excess of up to 400+ hours. 

They were very popular with people when partylite carried a beautiful candle holder specifically for the 6x6 candles. 

Do you recall what the price was those candles sold for? Just curious.

Years ago I used to buy these huge triple-wick candles at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  I absolutely loved burning them during the holidays! But the biggest I ever made in a container is 26 oz apothecary. The largest in pillar would be the tallest 3" x 12" round.

The biggest container at this time is 2# six wicker. This is my favorite to burn at home. 

The biggest pillars are 3” wide by 9” tall - 45 oz of beeswax.

have made triple wicked “logs” 3” wide x 9” long, but didn’t love them. They sold, but took too long in my tiny shop. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

The biggest container at this time is 2# six wicker. This is my favorite to burn at home. 

The biggest pillars are 3” wide by 9” tall - 45 oz of beeswax.

have made triple wicked “logs” 3” wide x 9” long, but didn’t love them. They sold, but took too long in my tiny shop. 

Is the 2# six wick candle something you make TT? Or is it sold by somebody else

50 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Is the 2# six wick candle something you make TT? Or is it sold by somebody else

My own.

The craziness started with a gift candle in a ceramic bowl. Loved it so much I now make my own crockery for candles.

here’s a medium sized one still wet on the wheel that I just threw from stoneware. It will be about 7- 8” wide when done. 

16233C14-DCDC-4870-919F-B8C09A6227D8.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

My own.

The craziness started with a gift candle in a ceramic bowl. Loved it so much I now make my own crockery for candles.

here’s a medium sized one still wet on the wheel that I just threw from stoneware. It will be about 7- 8” wide when done. 

16233C14-DCDC-4870-919F-B8C09A6227D8.jpeg

Ya ok. I took pottery class in high school and only then realized the skill level it takes do this sorta thing. That turned out beautiful and I’m sure the others have as well!

Clear Black I do quite a bit of big jar candles all the time which require 3 wicks...mostly, 5", 6" and 7" diameters.  Actually I'm working on one now that is a 9" diameter. 

Here are a few pictures of the styles, well lots of pictures...lol.....I got on one of my picture rolls....

Trappeur

CIMG9537.JPG

CIMG9551.JPG

CIMG2286 (1).jpg

CIMG9436.JPG

CIMG2345 (1).jpg

CIMG1160.JPG

CIMG1614.JPG

CIMG1940.JPG

CIMG3183.JPG

CIMG3717 (1).jpg

CIMG7421.JPG

CIMG8200.JPG

CIMG7865.JPG

CIMG3572.JPG

• Like 3

Oh thankyou Sarah....

I know...isn't that "Baggie" one so different?  A girlfriend was throwing out a bunch of stuff and when I saw that going in the garbage I snatched it up.  I have no idea where she got it or what it was used for or what was even in it.  Oh my gosh, is it paper thin!

And that soap next to that baggie JCandle made it...I hung on to that soap for a couple of years displayed in a shelf unit in my dining room till it turned yellow and I finally used it.

It was just so awesome and elegant.

Trappeur

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Clear Black I do quite a bit of big jar candles all the time which require 3 wicks...mostly, 5", 6" and 7" diameters.  Actually I'm working on one now that is a 9" diameter. 

Here are a few pictures of the styles, well lots of pictures...lol.....I got on one of my picture rolls....

Trappeur, Those candles are gorgeous, but how on earth do you wick so many unique containers? 

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Oh thankyou Sarah....

I know...isn't that "Baggie" one so different?  A girlfriend was throwing out a bunch of stuff and when I saw that going in the garbage I snatched it up.  I have no idea where she got it or what it was used for or what was even in it.  Oh my gosh, is it paper thin!

And that soap next to that baggie JCandle made it...I hung on to that soap for a couple of years displayed in a shelf unit in my dining room till it turned yellow and I finally used it.

It was just so awesome and elegant.

Trappeur

Ya Trap, I think you over wicked that "baggie" container. It looks like the glass got so hot it melted!! lol, :) 

• Haha 1

Gorgeous candles as usual Trappeur! What I love about the crystal is how the light refracts off the glass and makes a nice warm glow! But I love the crockery for that rustic primitive look.

I think I remember that soap of JC's. Didn't she make that for a Christmas or a winter themed soap or something like that?

42 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Ya Trap, I think you over wicked that "baggie" container. It looks like the glass got so hot it melted!! lol, :) 

lol, lol....Now that was a real clever thought if I ever heard one Clear Black!

Trappeur

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Gorgeous candles as usual Trappeur! What I love about the crystal is how the light refracts off the glass and makes a nice warm glow! But I love the crockery for that rustic primitive look.

I think I remember that soap of JC's. Didn't she make that for a Christmas or a winter themed soap or something like that?

Yep, I think your right Candybee!  I'm thinking it was winter....can't remember.  But I do remember the name was just "gorgeous" of what she called that soap.  Geesh so gorgeous I can't even remember it....that's horrible....Oh, I hope she sees this and posts the name.  Yea, I bought 3  bars from her for gifts and wound up keeping 2 for myself...It killed me when I had to use it...she should do some more of them.  I just can't believe how you Candybee and so many make up these gorgeous to die for soaps....what a talent!

Trappeur

Thankyou Forrest.   How do I wick so many?   Geesh...I don't know.  Guess I just have a fetish for biguns...lol

Actually 1 day a girlfriend was telling me how with so many candles she has bought, she has never been happy with them as far as being not strong, poorly made with wicks, etc and she always loved mine.    Now she has a huge log cabin and she really needed some stronger strength candles that would burn throughout who whole house.  She asked me if I ever did any candles but in a larger size....(which I didn't).  So I  don't know, but I think I remember going on ebay looking at pottery for containers as I love pottery and wound up with my very first one in pottery and I think it was like 7" diameter.  So through trial and error I figured out my wicking and voila!!  Then one day looking at my collection of Czec crystal that I have, I thought to myself, why not make a candle out of a huge piece of crystal...When my mother died she had a huge collection of beautiful crystal so my 2 sisters and I figured out what pieces each of us wanted and I went with the big ones.  And you know how people save their special china for the holidays and nice pieces of whatever always goes in a cabinet somewhere behind closed doors?   Well for all these years I have displayed such a gorgeous collection behind glass doors that no one really cares about when they come to visit (that's if I ever get company! , lol)   Well, my way of thinking is like this......You got something you like, love or are saving for sentimental reason like I have with this crystal????So I figured when I kick the bucket, there is no one who is going to inherit anything I have as I never had any kids, just my menagerie of animals.....I have 2 sisters but we are all so close in age so why do they need something more of dust collectors that I know is going to most likely stuffed away in some closet, so I decided to take out all my crystal behind closed doors that no one appreciates and create something that I would personally love and pour wax into all this expensive crystal.  And I have....and you know if any pieces crack or even get chipped or whatever, it is what it is...I'm enjoying something that I created and the memory of my mothers so lingers each time I'm looking through the candle lit glow of a burning candle in this piece of crystal and it's so beautiful. So I did and from there it took off and now I sell to a shop these crystal pieces which are not cheap to the public, but very different and elegant and then things took off from there.  Now I make for me personally large containers because of the huge expanse of throw and continue for my friend.  So that's how I got going on these big containers.  Right now I am doing an antique crock that is huge.  You know the brown bottom crock with the tan top and has numbers on it?  It's taking 4 wicks because 3 just didn't cut it.  I might have to even go to 5 wicks...

Trappeur

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Thankyou Forrest.   How do I wick so many?   Geesh...I don't know.  Guess I just have a fetish for biguns...lol

Trappeur

I'm scared to show my wife your pictures because I know what's going to happen, and it is going to take a lot of wax.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

From what I can find the biggest wax candle ever made was in Stockholm, Sweden 1897.

It was 127-foot and was featured at General Art and Industrial Exhibition of Stockholm.

They have a huge candle inside the 'General Wax' store here in Los Angeles. They poured that in 2014.. Here's a few photos of it

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 07.25.25.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-31 at 07.25.38.png

• Like 1

I wonder how many pounds it took to conduct burn tests.

About two years ago I wandered into a YC store around Christmas and saw a massive candle. Had to have been 12lbs or more. That was one large apothecary jar.