Wax tarts

wcgxxx

Yes, most  container waxes on their own will be too soft. Flaming and RE have their own tart wax which is a mixture of paraffin and soy. It comes in granulated form. The Candle Source has a good tart wax. You can also use 4625, 4794 or even 4786 on their own for shaped tarts. Or you can blend these waxes with a container wax. If you're using clams then a pillar or votive wax won't work unless it's blended with a softer wax. These are from my experiences though. I'm sure others have had different experiences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kandlekrazy said:

I use same as containers, c3 with a bit of usa added.

Is soy container firmer than paraffin? I've never used any so I'm not familiar with how it would do in shapes or clams. I have poured straight 6006 in clams before but I think it needed just a little bit of pillar wax to firm it up a little but I'm sure there are some that use it straight. I used it straight for shapes when I first started but it was too soft even though it held the shape. They just melted too easy when I had them in bags at a craft show. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Belinda said:

Is soy container firmer than paraffin? I've never used any so I'm not familiar with how it would do in shapes or clams. I have poured straight 6006 in clams before but I think it needed just a little bit of pillar wax to firm it up a little but I'm sure there are some that use it straight. I used it straight for shapes when I first started but it was too soft even though it held the shape. They just melted too easy when I had them in bags at a craft show. 

No it's softer.  The C3 with USA pops right out of clamshells and I've also made individual melts with no problems as long as I use silicone molds, with metal molds I have to pop them in the freezer for 5 mins before unmolding.  I don't do shows nor do I ship in hot months anymore, basically sell out of my store only.

• Like 1

I think I’ll use C3 with the USA . C3 is the current wax I use . As far as everything else goes , I just melt the wax and add in my dyes and fragrances as usual correct ? I saw somewhere to pour around 150-155 for tarts 

1 hour ago, wcgxxx said:

I think I’ll use C3 with the USA . C3 is the current wax I use . As far as everything else goes , I just melt the wax and add in my dyes and fragrances as usual correct ? I saw somewhere to pour around 150-155 for tarts 

I pour everything when it gets cloudy, melts, candles & clamshells.  It's about 115 if I remember right from when I used to use a thermometer :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

No it's softer.  The C3 with USA pops right out of clamshells and I've also made individual melts with no problems as long as I use silicone molds, with metal molds I have to pop them in the freezer for 5 mins before unmolding.  I don't do shows nor do I ship in hot months anymore, basically sell out of my store only.

What is USA? Is that the same as stearic acid?

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

What is USA? Is that the same as stearic acid?

Belinda I'm not sure what is in it but it's Universal Soy Additive and it hardens the wax a bit.  With these new lots of soy I'm down to 1 Tablespoon per 5# of wax.

• Like 2