What type of tax ID?

If someone like me needs a tax ID which type should I be filing for? Sole proprietor? LLC? Corporation?

The business is owned by me but I also have my daughter listed as owner as well on our business cards. She helps me when she isnt in college and during the summers. But for all legal purposes I am sole owner of the business.

Thoughts?

That is up to you. You need to choose how your business will be structured.

My first was a sole prop. My latest is an S-Corp. My state (Illinois) is uber expensive for both LLC and S-Corp, with a slight advantage to S-corp, so that it what I chose. S-corps are easier to package for sale should the time come.

Given the nature of my business, a sole prop was a dumb move on my part so many years ago. It was cheap and easy, and i needed something official quickly for a business bank account. An LLC and S-Corp will help protect your assets in the event of a law suit, since the entities are not linked directly to your personal assets.

• Like 1

I guess I was asking because I do not know the difference between the options. I was thinking of going LLC, because of the reasons you state, but am wondering what the process is to get that. Is there a website I need to apply to or a local agency that I need to visit?

Visit LegalZoom. you can walk through the application process for each type and learn the steps, costs, responsibilities, limitations, etc. It is a little overwhelming at first, but it gets easier as your brain processes it all.

Then google S-corp ad LLC for your state and figure out which fits you better at this point in time =)

If you have a small business association in your area, it's worth a visit. Ditto on community colleges. BOth can help answer state and local specific questions.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2018 at 5:31 PM, Paintguru said:

Depends on the state.  In Michigan, it literally takes 5 minutes to apply for an LLC and is pretty cheap ($25-50).  

Ya you definetly are lucky. I tried looking over Legal Zoom like TT suggested, and for an LLC in Maine its looking like $350 just for starters. Then to file more stuff with the state itself

2 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Ya you definetly are lucky. I tried looking over Legal Zoom like TT suggested, and for an LLC in Maine its looking like $350 just for starters. Then to file more stuff with the state itself

I live in IL where it starts at $650. That was a big reason I went with sole prop first and prayed nobody challenged my business insurance or personal assets.  It is just a cost of doing business.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

I live in IL where it starts at $650. That was a big reason I went with sole prop first and prayed nobody challenged my business insurance or personal assets.  It is just a cost of doing business.

650!!!???  Daaaaang. Ok, I will take my 350 and swallow that and say no more :D 

On 3/8/2018 at 6:28 PM, kandlekrazy said:

Def depends on the state, in AZ I had an LLC, in Calif I can't afford to do that so I'm back to sole prop but have been looking into costs for SCorp as my son has one and it does have some tax advantages.

3 hours ago, Clear Black said:

650!!!???  Daaaaang. Ok, I will take my 350 and swallow that and say no more :D 

16 hours ago, franu61 said:

I think  it's about $800 per year here in CAL for an LLC.  Needless to say I don't have one.

Yes it starts there, then depending on volume of sales (which we exceed at our malls) it goes up!  Can't make enough to justify it.

• 4 weeks later...