Do you just sell just Etsy, or just website, or both?

Paintguru

3 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Nothing is ridiculous if you believe in it!! 

Oh I believe in it! The problem is I BELIEVE it will take a very long time to get there but I am ok with that. Thats the part that seems rediculous lol. Thats k though as I am not in this to get rich quick, I actually have a passion for making candles thats goes back 25 years now. I am amazed I am even at the stage I am at now. Amazed, and slightly proud but I am a humble person generally so I try not to get too proud :D 

• Like 1

I thought it was ridiculous through my second or third year. I was about to close up shop and move on, but my path crossed with someone who showed me a new door. I almost didn't walk through because I thought that it too was ridiculous.

People tried to talk me out of it as being too expensive, too time consuming, and an all around bad business decision. During year 1 for the first half of the summer I would have agreed, but deep down inside i just KNEW the event was for me. We reinvent ourselves every day and THAT has made all the difference. You learn, adapt and keep moving forward. I would not change one thing about my life now.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

I am a humble person generally so I try not to get too proud :D 

Get proud. Get proud and loud!!

Nothing wrong with being proud of yourself no matter how humble you are. Being proud of yourself does not mean you think you are better than others, it just means that you believe in yourself! 

11 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

We reinvent ourselves every day

!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I thought it was ridiculous through my second or third year. I was about to close up shop and move on, but my path crossed with someone who showed me a new door. I almost didn't walk through because I thought that it too was ridiculous.

People tried to talk me out of it as being too expensive, too time consuming, and an all around bad business decision. During year 1 for the first half of the summer I would have agreed, but deep down inside i just KNEW the event was for me. We reinvent ourselves every day and THAT has made all the difference. You learn, adapt and keep moving forward. I would not change one thing about my life now.

Dam, I envy you to the moon and back for being able to do that and be successful and most importantly HAPPY.

My biggest issue at the moment is support. People around me seem to think this is just a silly way to waste my time. I am a guy, a guy who drives a GIANT semi truck too. I work with 30 other guys who do the same thing.  I made a huge mistake by opening up to a few of these co-workers and explaining what I do with my free time. HUGE MISTAKE. At 42 yrs old, I get teased daily because I make candles. They have all sorts of choice descriptions on the idea, I will spare you the details. I am a guy who like to make candles. And to them and other family members it seems a bit feminine to them. (Please dont shoot the messenger, I dont pigeon hole genders into workforce roles, EVER)

There are two people who have stood by me and given me the fuel to continue. My daughter and my dad. Both of whom are my best friends.  Its just been my daughter and I since her birth and we have grown to literally be best friends. The father/daughter dynamic is non-existent, same for the dynamic between my dad and I. Dam, starting to tear up a bit :( 

• Like 2

Who cares what others think? If you listen closely, they are super envious of you.

I won't go into detail about what my former co-workers said about me... I left a corporate executive position. I just could not stand it any more...  My own team ridiculed me. But then I look at their photos on facebook and it is so clear how miserable they are.

Focus on the people who lift you up and you will reach the stars. we only get so many trips around the sun, why waste them trying to please people who have absolutely no bearing on your happiness?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I don't agree with this. We have a member of this forum, that does VERY well off of etsy, and she is not extremely cheap, nor is she factory made, it's all handmade by her, in her home with her daughter. I also believe she makes a living off of her handmade items.  

is she the other?

"extremely branded. 

extreme niche or occasion. Stores based 100% on confetti, party favor bath bombs"

she has to be of the best (which is an extreme) at something

4 minutes ago, bathaway said:

is she the other?

"extremely branded. 

extreme niche or occasion. Stores based 100% on confetti, party favor bath bombs"

she has to be of the best (which is an extreme) at something

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about and tbh I have no inclination to try and figure it out because I really don't care. 

Just because *you* don't think you are coming across as a certain way, doesn't mean you are not. 

I am out and will not be revisiting this thread. 

As others have said, good luck to you, I wish you the best, but I won't indulge in your baiting anymore. 

• Like 1

Clear Black...I think Amazon Handmade is just trying to compete with Etsy and get their share of the pie.  LOL  I have my issues with Amazon, but am still choosing at this time to sell there because the more places you turn up when someone enters a relevant Google search string, the more likely you are to make a sale.  I just googled "soy candle that smells like bread baking" and I turned up on the first page of hits twice, once for my Etsy shop listing and once for my Amazon listing.  So I'm doubling my chances at a sale.  My website listing also popped up in the first 3-4 pages of returns.  I know from personal experience that I usually find what I want in the first few pages of a search and seldom have to check past page 4 or 5. 

To answer your question, handmade and commercially produced are two separate markets.  I appreciate the workmanship and care that goes into (most!) handmade items and like to support people who are working hard with their hands and their creative bents to make an honest dollar, as I am trying to do.  There will always be consumers who are bottom-liners -- those whose main concern is the lowest price.  These people are not our target market.  But there will also always be consumers who look more at quality and craftsmanship, and have a genuine appreciation for handmade.  In this day and age of mass production and impersonal customer service, lots of people are liking the handmade difference.

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
typo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Dam, I envy you to the moon and back for being able to do that and be successful and most importantly HAPPY.

My biggest issue at the moment is support. People around me seem to think this is just a silly way to waste my time. I am a guy, a guy who drives a GIANT semi truck too. I work with 30 other guys who do the same thing.  I made a huge mistake by opening up to a few of these co-workers and explaining what I do with my free time. HUGE MISTAKE. At 42 yrs old, I get teased daily because I make candles. They have all sorts of choice descriptions on the idea, I will spare you the details. I am a guy who like to make candles. And to them and other family members it seems a bit feminine to them. (Please dont shoot the messenger, I dont pigeon hole genders into workforce roles, EVER)

There are two people who have stood by me and given me the fuel to continue. My daughter and my dad. Both of whom are my best friends.  Its just been my daughter and I since her birth and we have grown to literally be best friends. The father/daughter dynamic is non-existent, same for the dynamic between my dad and I. Dam, starting to tear up a bit :( 

Screw what your co-workers think.  Good for you to pursue your dream anyway.  And I'm so glad your family supports you.  That means the world.  

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Clear Black said:

You do what makes YOU happy! I bet if the other guys opened up about some of their skills outside of work and their hobbies/interest too you’d not be so much the outsider. There are lots of guys that enjoy using candles and there might just be a market for you to sell to them just the same. Find more “manly” events to attend to set up products for purchase at. I know some guys who would for sure buy candles at bike shows, outdoor events and the like. Just because these guys don’t attend craft shows so don’t know always where or who to buy them from. Just a thought. 

Edited by Barefootgirl
Autocorrect got the best of me
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 1:25 PM, TallTayl said:

I do both.

etsy is like marketing to new customers. I would not normally be able to reach those buyers otherwise.

my site is for customers already cultivated at in-person venues.

This is a great point. It’s very hard to drive customers to a website when your small. They just don’t know you exist pretty much...so they don’t know your website does either. It’s great though once you’re r established since it can cut down on fees. You really need to focus on marketing if you want to do your own website. Family and friends support but they aren’t your target market generally - so think of how you will tell the world “hey here I am” and who and where your audience will see this and act on it to head on over to your website to purchase items. 

Edited by Barefootgirl

On 3/7/2018 at 5:35 PM, bathaway said:

Look at craftcount.com. Even the "successful" top 1% can't make a living 100% off etsy. It's a sales channel while they have a main website.

Calculate their revenue with Number of sales x average item price. minus transaction fees,  listing fees. cost of goods. Divided by number of years open.

The top 3 stores in bath and body make $100k per year. Top 20 stores make 40k per year.

Given the level of competition, and time to be literally at the top on etsy. These numbers aren't good

I know the locality makes a big difference in cost of living- but I think it really depends on the means one lives within too. People can live secure on less than $40k and even with that being a family household income.  A big factor depends on your expected way of life too. Some people try to keep up with the Jones and then some live a simplier life. To each their own though. Please don’t take any offense in anyway with me adding this. I’m not targeting your reply but I just think “success” is an opinionated view is all. 

Several of my best candle customers are men.  One guy in MN buys a 9 pack every few months and sends them also to his daughter.  Another in CA gets big boxes full for himself AND his mom.  And one of my best local female customers buys candles by the case.  Who gets up and lights one every morning?  Her husband.  My own husband is not afraid to show his love for my candles and melts.  LOL  Candles are not feminine...they are neutral.  Genderless.  ( I think I just invented a word. )    :D

• Like 2

On 3/8/2018 at 7:14 PM, TallTayl said:

What do you think happened to those biker dudes when the first toys for tots went down? Burly dudes on motorcycles with teddy bears. I bet they took someribbing before the practice became popular. 

Very true indeed. Good point

23 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@Clear Black Maybe these truckers would start buying from you.  Beer, gasoline, beef jerky fragrances might get them interested. :)  Here is a post about some "different" scents:  

GoldieMN

Goldie, those fragrances look fun to make a limited run with and maybe once I could get past SoS's rather high fo prices I may give a few a shot. 

10 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Several of my best candle customers are men.  One guy in MN buys a 9 pack every few months and sends them also to his daughter.  Another in CA gets big boxes full for himself AND his mom.  And one of my best local female customers buys candles by the case.  Who gets up and lights one every morning?  Her husband.  My own husband is not afraid to show his love for my candles and melts.  LOL  Candles are not feminine...they are neutral.  Genderless.  ( I think I just invented a word. )    :D

100% correct, I also think candles are gender neutral, but my co-workers sadly do not.  Im not all that worried what they think tbh, once I leave that place and come home that place or those people never enter my thoughts. Its just a good paycheck and thats all.

On 3/8/2018 at 5:46 PM, Crafty1_AJ said:

Clear Black...I think Amazon Handmade is just trying to compete with Etsy and get their share of the pie.  LOL  I have my issues with Amazon, but am still choosing at this time to sell there because the more places you turn up when someone enters a relevant Google search string, the more likely you are to make a sale.  I just googled "soy candle that smells like bread baking" and I turned up on the first page of hits twice, once for my Etsy shop listing and once for my Amazon listing.  So I'm doubling my chances at a sale.  My website listing also popped up in the first 3-4 pages of returns.  I know from personal experience that I usually find what I want in the first few pages of a search and seldom have to check past page 4 or 5. 

To answer your question, handmade and commercially produced are two separate markets.  I appreciate the workmanship and care that goes into (most!) handmade items and like to support people who are working hard with their hands and their creative bents to make an honest dollar, as I am trying to do.  There will always be consumers who are bottom-liners -- those whose main concern is the lowest price.  These people are not our target market.  But there will also always be consumers who look more at quality and craftsmanship, and have a genuine appreciation for handmade.  In this day and age of mass production and impersonal customer service, lots of people are liking the handmade difference.

Ya, Ive been looking through this Amazon Handmade and not exactly what to make of it yet. I guess its another avenue to sell at for sure, but you cannot possibly tell me that Yankee Candle belongs in the "handmade" section https://www.amazon.com/Yankee-Candle-Large-Strawberry-Lemon/dp/B019PN2DX4/ref=sr_1_66_sspa?s=handmade&ie=UTF8&qid=1520641685&sr=1-66-spons&keywords=Candles&psc=1

Stumped on that one ya

1 hour ago, Clear Black said:

Goldie, those fragrances look fun to make a limited run with and maybe once I could get past SoS's rather high fo prices I may give a few a shot. 

I know what you mean.  I love the smell of gasoline or a garage after the car's been parked in it for awhile.  Would love to get one ounce bottles to test.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Clear Black, as you surf the Handmade section, Amazon tends to run sponsored ads at the top of the listing, whether they are handmade or not. That is why you saw it there. 

I had one co-worker in particular who bad mouthed me behind my back to other co-workers...she mocked my dream of quitting my job to work at home full time selling online....and the funny thing is this...I did just that in three years time :D. Ignore the naysayers, they will one day eat crow.

• Like 1