Eco Soya Palm Wax

I just visited EcoSoya's website to look at the specs for their wax. (Lonestar is now selling the old pillar blend)

They have "coming soon" palm wax and canola wax. 

Thought that was interesting. 

No kidding. Not gonna hold my breath for it. But it would be cool. On the other hand, what they did with their quantum waxes makes me a little leery of their wax recipe blending ideas. Palm wax blends can be outstanding or total crapola if the ingredients are off or wrong.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking along those lines too! I'm on the fence about ordering the pillar blend again. 

I have really enjoyed working with palm wax this past year and am in love with it. But I don't like how it doesn't throw well in low wattage warmers. And I worry about the appeal of palm wax. That is all you work with, right @Candybee?

15 hours ago, Sebleo said:

I was thinking along those lines too! I'm on the fence about ordering the pillar blend again. 

I have really enjoyed working with palm wax this past year and am in love with it. But I don't like how it doesn't throw well in low wattage warmers. And I worry about the appeal of palm wax. That is all you work with, right @Candybee?

First off I don't use warmers that heat with bulbs. I use only electric plate type warmers. Nothing works better and will throw your wax scent better. Palm wax melts on an electric plate burner throw within seconds and fill an entire floor with scent.

Yes palm is all I work with nowadays. When I first changed from parasoy to palm I did get a little flack from my customers. But I had been working with the wax for about 2 yrs testing and playing around with it before I started selling palm candles. This worked for me because by the time I started selling them I knew all about the wax and how it performed. I simply explained how the wax works as it burns down in the jar and gave them all the selling points of the wax.

Palm is not a hard sell at all. In fact I have customers that prefer my palm because of the beautiful crystal patterns, the glow as it burns, and the clean burn without soot buildup on the jars. Once I sell a new customer that has never used palm wax candles before they typically come back for more and tell me how much they love them compared to other candles.

Palm sells itself, but as in anything you sell you still have to have some salesmanship skills. Best way to sell is to know and love your product. That is what will sell it!

• Like 3

I make container candles and use a warning label. I only sell melts occasionally when I feel like it. If I do, I do a self serve "tart bar" and let my customers bag them so no warning label for those. I never got questions on what type of melter to use. I used to sell melters but its just too much for me with all the other stuff I make and sell.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, @Candybee and @Sebleo,

I work with palm wax, and I'm excited to talk with others who do, too!  I am still struggling to get things the way I want them. Candybee, you mentioned explaining to your customers "how the wax works as it burns down in the jar", and I wonder if part of what I'm struggling against is just the nature of palm wax and to be embraced. I find that my candles seem to burn down and then eventually out. If I wick high enough to get a full wax pool in the first or even second burn, the flame is just HUGE. I almost always have some wax left on the walls of the container when the candle is done burning, even when it seems to have been properly wicked.  Candybee, do you mind sharing with me what you tell your customers about how the wax works?  I've spent a lot of time looking for posts on this forum (and across the internet) about palm wax, and there just aren't many. My supplier has provided some info, but mostly he's pushed moving to soy because it's easier to work with. I can't use soy, plus I love the way palm looks and holds fragrance. Thanks!

• Like 1

I use Glass Glow palm wax.

Palm wax burns differently than other waxes. You will see this especially in larger jars. It tends to burn down leaving a thin outer shell in the jar. For larger jars you may also have part of a top 'shelf' or thin layer of the top of the candle that hasn't quite burned yet. That is typical of this wax and that top shelf will burn off usually in the second burn. I find that when the candle is burned about halfway down that is when the sides will start to catch up. So by the time the candle burns down to the bottom of the jar the sides should have all caught up and burned too. Also note that you WANT a thin wax shell on the inside of your jar. This thin layer is what helps the candle give off beautiful luminous candle glow. Don''t worry, the wax on the sides will catch up towards the second half of the burn life of the candle.

The jar should also look like it has gone through the dishwasher once the candle has burned down to the bottom. You will notice the wax burns clean and the jar looks clean. You should also note that there is no soot buildup on the jar. This is assuming its properly wicked.

I use CSN wicks from CS. They are wax specific for glass glow wax. CS commissioned WEDO to make the wicks specifically for glass glow wax. The flame does burn tall and that is something you may need to embrace. I expect my palm candles to have fairly tall flames compared to soy or paraffin candles. Palm is a hard wax that requires special wicking different from soy or paraffin.

Palm wax is by far the easiest wax IMO to work with. I have worked with both paraffin and soy. Soy is the most finicky and takes the most work re R&D to make a decent, safe, well scented saleable candle. I also had to quit working with soy as it gave me horrible skin rashes I never want to experience again.

My selling points for palm wax candles are:

• The candle burns clean without soot buildup on the jars
  • Palm wax is the only wax that has a luminous glow as it burns, like a luminary candle, the candle flame glows through the wax lighting the candle from the inside out
  • Palm wax forms beautiful crystal patterns as it cools making it very unique looking from other waxes
  • The palm wax I use comes from member growers of the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) https://www.rspo.org/about dedicated to the production of responsibly grown and produced sustainable palm oil
  • All cotton wicks (I used CSN wicks)
  • The wax burns so clean that the  candle jar appears clean like its been washed or put in the dishwasher
Edited by Candybee
  • Like 5

Thank you, @Candybee! I really appreciate all the great info you shared. My candles are burning much as you described-- I know that shelf!--so that makes me feel a lot better.  :)  I still have wax left on the jars after the burn, and I've been leery of a tall flame. Definitely haven't found the sweet spot on the wicks yet, so I really appreciate your recommendation on the CSNs. I will get some ordered. My best results so far have been with HTPs.  I'll try the Glass Glow palm, as well, just to see how it may differ from the palm I'm getting from Candlewic.  Thank you!

• Like 1

MagGirl the wicks that work best with palm are the CSN from CS and Wedo's RRD series. I know C&S and CW carry RRD's. The RRD and CSN are very similar and burn almost identical. Also, both are manufactured by the german wick company Wedo. So I tend to use RRD's as a backup wick if I can't get CSN,'s. I get a more stable burn and much cleaner burn using CSN wicks so they are my primary wick choice.

Don't be freaked out by a tall flame with palm. You will find that once you get the right size wick trying to wick down for a shorter flame may not give you the best burn. I have found from my own testing that a size down doesn't work for me. Best way to find out is to test a wick size smaller alongside your regular size for comparison.

Another tip, if you buy CSN's from CS and use their wick chart, buy one size down. Eg.; if the chart says a size 14 CSN, go with a 12. Better yet, buy a sample pack with all the sizes and start testing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Ladymvb said:

candybee  i have just started using glass glow.  how do you get rid of the air bubbles/pockets? or anyone  tia

When the top is solid enough, flip them so the air bubbles end up around the wick tabs and not at the top of the container. 

If that doesn't work for you, you can always poke relief holes, then do a repour. 

18 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

When the top is solid enough, flip them so the air bubbles end up around the wick tabs and not at the top of the container. 

If that doesn't work for you, you can always poke relief holes, then do a repour. 

I always pucker a bit when doing the flip 🤣. Using glass jars with a tight fitting lid helps ease the anxiety. If it leaks, the lid catches the molten lava 😆

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I always pucker a bit when doing the flip 🤣. Using glass jars with a tight fitting lid helps ease the anxiety. If it leaks, the lid catches the molten lava 😆

I do tip it slowly so I know if it's going to leak it will start to leak before I walk away. I've only had 1 or 2 mishaps by being impatient. 

If I wait too long (or what I feel is too long) for the flip, I do poke relief holes, but I've pretty much got it down to a science as to when to do the flip. :)  

I have done the flip method 3-4 times so far while testing different wicks wicks.  Usually in 2-3 candle in each flip.  So far i have only had 1 mishap and that was just me being impatient.  I also tip mine slowly over and i also rotate it a bit so as to try and find any weak spots before i fully flip it.  Do so while gradually turning it upside down more till i have fully flipped it.

• 6 months later...
On 3/6/2018 at 10:46 AM, Candybee said:

Palm is not a hard sell at all. In fact I have customers that prefer my palm because of the beautiful crystal patterns, the glow as it burns, and the clean burn without soot buildup on the jars. Once I sell a new customer that has never used palm wax candles before they typically come back for more and tell me how much they love them compared to other candles.

I've never worked with palm wax but I agree it does look very pretty with the crystal patterns in the wax.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:36 PM, Candybee said:

I make container candles and use a warning label. I only sell melts occasionally when I feel like it. If I do, I do a self serve "tart bar" and let my customers bag them so no warning label for those. I never got questions on what type of melter to use. I used to sell melters but its just too much for me with all the other stuff I make and sell.

That's a neat idea, "a self serve "tart bar" and let my customers bag them", that creates excitement and gets the customer more involved. :thumbsup: