An order I received

13 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I would happily order these wicks somewhere else, but I've never been able to find this wick in spooling from anywhere else, and everywhere else that has these wicks tabbed are only 6" long and that's too short for my pillar molds, unless I short wick them.

What size(s) are you looking for? 

No matter where I order wax from the boxes are busting at the seams. Would not bother me with soy except that the inner blue bags are never sealed closed. They are just half way folded. One of these days I will have a huge mess on my hands. 

• Like 1

I've just started to pay attention to freight charges. It's absolutely, incredibly, ridiculous. If you're selling a product then somewhere along the line it's got to be paid for by someone. That would be the consumer at the end of the line.  I'm confused now about where I should put freight in the accounting system. I could cook the books and put it somewhere like office supplies or some made up category, but deep down I know I'm just fooling myself. 

The wax and fragrance are obviously the big items in the cost to make a candle unit.  The only thing I've come up with is to buy wax and fragrance in bulk. The lower cost of those items might offset the freight charges some.

Q

Just now, Candybee said:

If you run a biz buying in bulk is key to keeping costs down. I figure shipping costs into my candle costs spreadsheet. I got tired a long time ago of eating the cost by not listing it.

Of course if you are lucky enough to drive to your supplier gas is actually lot cheaper than shipping. I live 4 hours from C&S and Fillmore so once or twice a year I go on a supply run. Takes all day to drive up and back but I save a lot that way.

22 hours ago, TallTayl said:

No matter where I order wax from the boxes are busting at the seams. Would not bother me with soy except that the inner blue bags are never sealed closed. They are just half way folded. One of these days I will have a huge mess on my hands. 

This, sooooo much this. I just wish they would zip tie or heck, even scotch tape that blue bag closed. The last box I open flung the soy flakes that had bounced out of the opening all over my kitchen.  My cat seemed to enjoy the taste of a few flakes before I shooed him away lol

• Thanks 1

Luckily my palm wax bag is sewn shut by the manufacturer and shipped in a large box. Even if the outer box gets damaged in transit the bag inside is usually untouched.

But I remember buying soy and paraffin and having damaged boxes arrive. The worst I remember was paraffin blocks packed in the box they came in. The corners of the box would be missing or damages and the wax was actually out in the open covered in dirt and debris. Argh!!! Used to get so ticked at that!

5 hours ago, Quentin said:

I'm confused now about where I should put freight in the accounting system. I could cook the books and put it somewhere like office supplies or some made up category, but deep down I know I'm just fooling myself. 

Q

We figure ours on all items in a shipment based on cost per ounce or piece type of thing. That way shipping/freight is in there when we figure our cost per item. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Scented said:

We figure ours on all items in a shipment based on cost per ounce or piece type of thing. That way shipping/freight is in there when we figure our cost per item. 

Is exactly how my accounting works. 

When receiving items I apportion the freight across all items, that way I know exactly how much an ingredient costs.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Clear Black said:

This, sooooo much this. I just wish they would zip tie or heck, even scotch tape that blue bag closed. The last box I open flung the soy flakes that had bounced out of the opening all over my kitchen.  My cat seemed to enjoy the taste of a few flakes before I shooed him away lol

I learned real fast Clear Black how to open the blue bag as that happened to me also....what a mess all over the floor.  I just pull each side of the bag very tight before I open up and all the little flakes fall into the box.

Trappeur

Well being that we are talking about costs and accounting here is how I figure up my wholesale pricing and what I found works best for me.

Case of Jars:  21.99 (a case) x (4 cases ordered at a time) plus shipping and tax is 124.14

124.14 divided by 4 cases (48 jars) comes to 2.58 a jar (my cost)

I always round up so my cost per jar is 2.75 a jar.  (Gives me a little e way)

Note:  I never order 1 case of jars from anyone.  It's always at least 4 cases

Wax - 50 pounds at 56.49 plus shipping and tax is 88.37

88.37 divided by 50 pounds makes the wax 1.76 a pound

Fragrance oils cost

I figure 20.00 a 1 pound bottle plus shipping and tax is 21.63

21.63 divided by 16 oz in a pound makes this oil 1.35 cost per ounce of oil.

1 wick:    10 cents

l label:     25 cents

Caution Label:   5 cents

So my cost to make 1 candle jar based on the jar being a 16oz jar:

1 jar:     2.75

Wax      1.76

Oil:        1.35

Wick:      .10

Label:     .25

Caution:  .05

Cost:    6.26

I charge 12.50 to the shop (my wholesale price)

I see they retail to the customer usually around 26.00 to  28.00 a jar. 

Now the thing I could never really figure out was how to incorporate time and labor and that really needs to go into the production of each candle, but when you think about it, we pay shipping to get the product to us and then we turn around and charge to the shop the shipping it cost to get to us PLUS now we are charging  the same shipping again to them because in figuring out wholesale pricing it is supposed to be at least double of what it actually costs to make the product.   So  actually the store is paying shipping twice!  I never thought that was fair.  But I know what shops sell this same style jar from other companies so my wholesale pricing to them is well within a fair price.

So in essence when figuring out wholesale pricing to the shops even though I don't have time and labor figured into the costs, I know the shop is paying for shipping twice, some of the oils I use are not 20.00 a bottle but maybe 14.00 , 15.00, 16.00, etc a pound, or maybe I got the oil on sale so I have some extra monies figured in there.  Also my labels I get a great pricing and always order them when they have sales and it is ALL the time so I am cautious there.  But I still figure out my costs for labels at the regular price to the shops and whatever savings I get by ordering only when they have their sales is a savings that is passed on "to me", not them.  Heck, I'm worth it.  With all the time and labor plus delivering all the candles personally by me to the stores all the extxra savings I figure is my time and labor.   I have to put gas in my truck to deliver, electric used in my house, cleanup, paper towels, water, taxes....all these extras plus I know there is a lot more not even said.  Now too, since I sell wholesale, I am dealing in volume and I'm delivering anywhere from 48 candles to hundreds of candles at a time to each delivery.  I don't ship but personally deliver.  So when I figure for example the example I just cost out above here, I'm making roughly 6.50 profit on each candle and times that per dozen I'm making 78.00 a case profit but that is 1 case of jars.  I deal in cases and cases.  Bottom line....for me, I'm good to go and happy.  So it may sound like 78.00 a case is great, but really think about.   Some of you might disagree with the way I do things, but I do the best I can and like we all do, I work my ass off to put out a great product that the public buys and most importantly is a safe product and I have reorders on going all the time.  Profit is not a bad word I learned a long time ago.   One shop in town who is a great client of mine, when I first landed the account, she selected high end jars and when I priced out the jar it was x amount so I told her that being we are just starting out, I would sell that jar to her at 1.25 less than what I should be charging.  I told her I had high hopes for her shop and me and that if she would keep her prices at a certain amount, I believed she could sell a lot of candles so if she priced her jars accordingly to what I suggested I would take a little loss on the profit I made just so I could secure her account..Bad mistake for me!  She not only doubled my price, but added 3.00 more on top of the doubled price.  I was not a happy camper.  In fact I was pissed.  Here I was thinking I was being a kind person offering to lessen my price and look what she does....so a lesson learned.  I have since changed my thought of mind and I don't feel sorry for her 1 bit when I cost out new things to her.  Granted she has a shop and her overhead....So...well so do I!  I'm such a very laid back person and would never gauge anyone but being in this business for me I have learned so much and continue to every day.  Well so much for my input.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 4

On 03/03/2018 at 12:07 AM, Scented said:

What size(s) are you looking for? 

CD 10 and CD 12 - the only place I've found CD Spooled wicking is from Candlewic, - they are also the only place I've found 8" tabbed wicks also, but their shipping is just not something I want to pay. Spooled wicking is something like $17.xx and shipping for 2 spools of wick is almost $23. Bringing my total for 2 spools of wick to over $55 - that's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

CD 10 and CD 12 - the only place I've found CD Spooled wicking is from Candlewic, - they are also the only place I've found 8" tabbed wicks also, but their shipping is just not something I want to pay. Spooled wicking is something like $17.xx and shipping for 2 spools of wick is almost $23. Bringing my total for 2 spools of wick to over $55 - that's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. 

C&S carries spooled CD wicking. The shipping may be better with C&S. I know the wax I buy from C&S costs more but wax plus shipping is cheaper to me than ordering my wax from Candlewic.

Here are the spooled wick links:

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Heinz-CD-10-Wicking-per-100-roll_2

and

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Heinz-CD-12-Wicking-per-100-roll_2

1 minute ago, Candybee said:

C&S carries spooled CD wicking. The shipping may be better with C&S. I know the wax I buy from C&S costs more but wax plus shipping is cheaper to me than ordering my wax from Candlewic.

Here are the spooled wick links:

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Heinz-CD-10-Wicking-per-100-roll_2

and

http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Heinz-CD-12-Wicking-per-100-roll_2

I have no idea how I missed this!! Maybe the "heinz" threw me off? I know I've looked and looked and looked at all of my suppliers and could not find it.

Now I feel like a dweeb!! HAHA 

Yes, C&S shipping to me, even though they are across the country, is actually not bad at all, even for wax. I get my paraffin pillar pellet wax from them. I LOVE that wax. And I want some FO's from them as well, so I'll look into it. 

Thank you so much! 

• Like 1

Just now, Candybee said:

You are welcome. Do check out the size of the rolls thou. I thought the footage may not be the same. But maybe this could be a better solution for you. Just thought you could use the info.:)

Definitely will check it out. It's a much better option, I'm sure of it. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 9:31 AM, Jcandleattic said:

Well I thought I might at least have some that was tabbed because we were wick collectors at one point in time, but I don't have those sizes. 

On 3/5/2018 at 9:58 AM, Trappeur said:

Now the thing I could never really figure out was how to incorporate time and labor and that really needs to go into the production of each candle....

Hi Trappeur - if you're looking for a way to figure out how much your labor cost is for making a candle I can share the way we do it. It certainly plays into what your gross margin is on your product and without it if you're selling wholesale at keystone minus those costs you're making less than 50% margin. We take every part of the production and do one thing at a time for an hour- so for an hour we just wick, for an hour we just label, for an hour we just pour ect. Then mark down how many of each part you accomplish in an hour. We divide what we pay someone to help us with production hourly by how many candles they get done per task.

Wicking - $0.04

Pouring - $0.05

Making Boxes - $0.03

Label/Trim/Box $0.08

This also can help you see what areas you can improve upon to help drive down cost. Also how many candles would you say you sell in a year? How many fragrances do you offer? If you're moving quantity you could easily get some of your materials cost down, easily drop fragrance cost to $0.80 or less, wicks to $0.04 and labels to around $0.12

Thankyou!   I will definitely try what you just said when I have a moment in breathing.  Ok, do you care to divulge what you pay someone an hour?  I'v thought about that many many times what would be a fair pay?

Trappeur