Let's talk about the best wax to use in tarts and candles

Kristen OH

I started using IGI 6006, and the wax is a parasoy blend-  its very soft, to the point where you can squish it in your fingers.  I found that in melts I had some success and with candles, I didn't have the throw I wanted and I think that's partly because I was using the wrong type of wick.  I have now switched to the CD-6 6' from Bulk Apothecary.  I have some candles curing, and to be determined on the scent throw-

I have now started combining IGI 6006 with IGI 4794-  I find that the cold throw is stronger, but the hot throw doesn't throw like I expected it to. 

I also tried using IGI 4794 all by itself and I found that when you use pop them out of a mold and cut them- they crack.  Any suggestions there? 

I can't determine the right ratio, and I'm looking for input on what the 'split' should be to get the best throw-  ie:  75% IGI 4794 and 25% IGI 6006?  50/50 split?

I keep seeing great reviews on the KY Votive/Tart blend and I would really like to give it a try. 

I looked at the overall cost coupled with shipping, and the cost per oz ends up being $2.75 just for the wax. 

On average, a 16 oz bottle of FO is approx. $16.00 ie: $1.00 per ounce - so right there for wax and FO's you're at $3.75 per ounce. 

Once you add in the FO's, and your time, you would be selling 1 oz of wax for $4.50- $5.00 just to make $.50-$1 dollar of profit -  AND- if you're scent throw isn't on point, that could effect sales significantly. 

I can pick up the IGI products somewhat locally, so if anyone has feedback on how they have used these waxes for tarts and candles to obtain an amazing scent throw- I'm all ears!!!!

I guess I'm feeling discouraged at the moment and I have been working hard (just as we are all) to make a beautiful product, and I get very frustrated when I am not getting the scent throw I expected. 

Any feedback is welcome!!!

Best wax is suggestive at best. What works great for one person, may not for someone else.

It really comes down to personal preference, type of melter, type of FO, and how you work with the wax you use.  

I personally use a mix 50/50 of IGI 4625/ IGI 4794 and get an awesome throw with the melter I use. 

There are a ton of posts on the board about melts, and here is a really good post about the type of melters, and what affect they may have on the throw of your melts. -