1st go at soap using M&P

hellkat

Something you can do with M&P you can't with CP. Blend 2 parts clear base with 1 part opaque for a very pretty mother of pearl look. Just swirl the colors together gently until you get the effect you like best. Of course if you color the base before pouring you can create a whole collection of different colored mother of pearl soapies.

PS They look awesome when poured into shell molds.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Candybee said:

Nice soapie for your first try! Looks like you had a bit of soap bleed going on with the top layer mixing into the clear. That is just a timing issue and can be easily resolved with more practice. Same with colors.

What colors are u using? When you get more into soaping you may want to try some rich colored micas. I love buying my soap colorants from TKB Trading or Nurture Soap Supply.

Thank you! I put the top layer on a bit too soon, but at least it stuck. The second mold I made I poured the top to late and when I cut into it the top slid right off.  I need to work on finding the 'right moment' for the last layer.  The kit came with Pistachio Green and Ocean Blue so I just mixed together to get the different colors. 

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, Sarah S said:

@hellkat, that looks great! Very ambitious for a beginner, great job!

I second the suggestion to check out some micas if you've caught the soaping bug, they're so much fun to work with. Nurture Soap has a really nice sampler with generous sizes.

Thanks Sarah! I've definitely caught the bug.  I did pick up some gold mica to put in a honey base, I made a small golden honey oatmeal loaf but that is the one the top fell off of. And I might have gone a bit over board on the mica if that's possible. I figured I'd let my BF try it 1st to see if he comes out of the shower sparkling like glitter! 

I'd really like to find a nice recipe for psoriasis for both my mom and son for my next batch so if anyone has a link or one of their own that would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Birdcharm! I tell you I have had so much fun with the M&P! So far that is the only layered loaf mold that hasn't had the bottom or top fall off :lol:!  That was big clue for me to slow it down and start with the individual bars using the 6 pack bar mold and work my way back up to the loafs. So far I've made 12 honey lavender lemon zest with the triple butter base and 12 coconut coffee scrub type using goats milk and 12 bars of the clear tinted pink and added some curl embeds and cherry blossom FO's. I then took the extras to give to my coworkers so they could give me feedback - one girl just sat there huffing the honey lavender one and I kept telling her 'it's not glue, stop it!' lol - I wish I would have taken a picture.

But it was funny because a few of the managers had a walk through that day and saw all these soaps and were smelling them and asking where we got them. I didn't want to fess up because I'm not all that confident yet, but when they found out that I made them they wanted to know if I had a website or how they could buy them.  I just sat there stuttering like a moron going uhhhh well I don't, I'm just, it's a hobby, I'm not that good at yet and just playing around with it and gave them each a bar to try. Apparently I did something really right with those because today after lunch I get back to my desk and there is a blank thank you note that said 'keep it up' and a $25 visa card! No one will fess up as to who left it and it made me feel really guilty inside - I don't know why but it just didn't seem right - who pays $25 for a few bars of soap?? So I went to my boss saying I cant take this and he told me that he couldn't take it and his assistant started laughing and said they really loved the soaps to just take it and put it back into my supplies and to think of it as an investment from them to me to keep the goodies coming. 

Now I'm not going to lie to myself and think I'm that good because I'm not and I know it, I've got a long way to go before I'd even think about selling anything - BUT it did set me off on a nice daydream for a bit thinking maybe one day.......

• Like 1