How much stock to bring?

ellajoan

I recommend taking as much as you can.  You can never guess what will sell best or how much business you'll have.  I don't sell candles but do B&B and I take everything I can.  Nothing worse than running out of something knowing you have it at home.  Especially if this is your first time.  Shows are a lot of work but I love doing them. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately there's really no way to give you a number.  It varies from show to show for me.  I just take what I have.  I make soap for example and I'll take 300-400 bars.  Scrubs 40-60 or more.  Lip balm 100-200.  I may not need it all but I have it.  

Ellajoan, these questions come to my mind to help me decide if I was doing a flea market.  Now they could or could not have any bearings but I would think about these if I was doing a flea market.  Of course, as much as you can do I would say to bring.....  it's very hard to determine something like this.

1.  A flea market .....is this a one time yearly thing they do?  Will it be a 1 day or weekend market?  Is it well known?

2.  How much was the cost to get in.

3.  Where is your booth LOCATION????(VERY IMPORTANT)...assuming it is a booth?  Or is it undercover?   Do you have to bring a tent.

4.  Are there any other candle makers in the market.

5.  Does this market take any vendors?  Lots of flea markets will take vendors selling junk/used things or people selling their wares out of the trunks 

of their vehicles, vendors selling produce.

6.  What ever your going to price your things at, are the candles more upscale and will they be too expensive for a flea market?  Generally the flea markets 

in my area are just that flea markets and people looking for a bargain.....know what I mean?

Like I said, it is hard to answer that question. What ever you do, good luck!

You might want to offer something like a buy 2 at such and such a price and 3'rd one 1/2 price or something like that.

Sorry I wasn't much help, but these are things I would be pondering about.

Trappeur 

• Thanks 2

Trappeur, you were very helpful.  This is a 2x per year flea market w/ 150 vendors.  I am not certain there will be other candle vendors--I'm guessing a few but most of the items are handmade farmhouse style decor (signs, antiques, painted furniture, etc)--not typical "flea market" stuff.  It was rated one of the top 100 flea/craft markets in the US, and vendors must be selected/curated by a jury.  We were happy to be chosen!  We snagged an indoor 10 x 10 space for $90--the market has 4 hours on Fri night and a full day on Saturday.  Our candles are a bit more upscale--we charge $12 each or 2/$10 (which most people do), but they are for sale (wholesale) in a few local shops for $15-$16 each.  

I was thinking if we plan for 2% of 8,000-10,000 people to buy our candles, we'd need b/t 160-200 candles.  So maybe we'll bring 250?  300?  

Also trying to figure out how many different scents to bring.  Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing, but we've also found that the longer people stay at our set up (smelling everything), the more likely they are to buy.  I am planning on 15-16 different scents, but sometimes we only bring 10-12 different scents.  We really need to do well here, as we tend to make the majority of our money during fall/Christmas sales.  This will keep us sustainable until then.  

Edited by ellajoan

We have those in my area.  People are typically shopping for vintage and antiques HOWEVER jewelry and candles always sell.  Since it's your first one here I think 12-15 scents is good like you said. Sometimes too many scents make people indecisive and they don't buy impulsively.   You are going to have to wing it on this first one and know for the next time if you brought enough or if it's not worth doing again.  If you've done other shows/markets some of your customers may be there.  I would bring as much inventory as you possibly can get made in time, you don't have to put it all out at once.  Here our May Antique Faire does much better than our October Antique Faire, but candles may different.  We don't have anyone that sells candles in our Faire but I sell right inside my store on the street it's held on and people buy that day.

• Thanks 1

I agree with @Trappeur, there are so many variables involved in shows that there's really no right answer. But the info you just provided is super helpful to at least throw a few suggestions out there....

First, I would say that my main piece of advice would be to bring enough stock so that your table is filled up the entire time. Depending on how you're setting up your space and the number of products that you offer, the quantity that makes up a "fully stocked space" will vary for everyone, but if you can bring 300, I certainly would. The important thing is, as soon as there are empty spaces, reach down under your table (or wherever your extra stock is) and fill them in. A table full of product is truly appealing and inviting to customers and I have found in my experience that this makes a difference for me sales-wise.

As for number of scents...there are probably a couple of schools of thought on this, but like you, I tend to offer a lot of scent choices at my shows. I've found the same thing - people tend to linger and stay longer to smell all the scents, and it almost becomes like a challenge for them to choose their favorites. Just make sure that you're grouping the same scents together in an organized way, otherwise they'll get overwhelmed.

I hope you do GREAT!

• Thanks 1

From experience 2% purchasing based on gate traffic is extremely optimistic unless you are a famous headliner of the event. 

1% “may” stop in your space and a fraction of those “may” purchase. 

To calculate based on 10x10, the displays and layout are extremely important. 

You need displays that will catch attention and draw people in like a tractor beam. 

If people are shoulder to shoulder often booths are not even seen by the majority. 

How many people can shop at one time in your space? If it appears crowded people walk right by. Nobody waits in line unless for coffee or food. 

How many customers can you actively engage in an hour?  

How many can you collect $ from and package in an hour? 

What other entertainment are are people being drawn to?

are you marketing to “your” customers? Will your current people come to the event expecting to buy from you, or are you hoping to develop new customers from scratch at a new venue? 

These types of events take time to navigate. It takes several years to decide if a venue works for your brand. Take what you can reasonably handle and display. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TallTayl, this is GREAT advice.  We plan on having two tables, each with the same selection of merchandise for people to sample.  I understand what you are saying about folks skipping over a crowded vendor--this has happened to us in the past, as well.  In smaller craft shows we've done, we guesstimated that between 5-10% of people stopped and bought.  BUT...we were able to greet them all and have some personal interaction w/ them, and that really helps, we've found. 

So if 2% is optimistic, what would be a better percentage to shoot for from the crowd? 

What would be a good strategy to get folks to stop?  Maybe have people standing outside the booth space or in the crowd with candle trays to smell, then direct them to our booth?  I've got teenage kids (who I've told) will help me out on that day.  :)

Not to burst your bubble or anything like that Ellajoan, but I would be very concerned about your pricing of the same product that you sell to your wholesale accounts that are in the same vicinity as where the flea market is.  Your pricing of 2 for 10.00 candles that you are going to mark and you have some shops in town that are selling the same candle for 15.00 to 16.00 each could really tick that shop owner off and you possibly lose an account on that fact alone if they got wind of your candles were being sold there that they carry and you selling  so much cheaper than what they sell them for.   Big events like a market such as this shop owners plan their shops for these events themselves and expected sales for them from an event going on, they plan for.    Word gets around and you just never know, some of the shop owners could be visiting that event those days you are there.  When I had my shop, I in fact would go to all events like that.   Just keep that in mind, as your bread and butter with your established accounts are your money makers now.  I wouldn't want to jeopardize my existing accounts for a weekend show that may or even may not be a winner....(hopefully not!)  If that were me, to avoid a possible problem like this I would do a completely different jar or maybe the same jar but smaller so there IS no conflict of interest here.   It would be horrible if one of the shop owners showed up in your booth and questioned you about it.  Know what I mean?    This is just another thing for you to think about.  Just be different I would say, have a knock out booth that people will see and will WANT to step into it.  Presentation, presentation, I am a firm believer in that.

Trappeur

• Like 1

It's not 2/$10, it's actually 2/$20.  My error in quick typing.   My wholesale price is &7.50 for wholesale, and I give an MSRP of $12-15.  All 3 retail locations sell for $15 or $16, and they sell different scents that won't be available at the market.  I am doing my best to keep those wholesale accounts!  :)

I've done very well at combo craft show/flea market venues. Since my products are handmade and not flea market items I opt for the craft show side of the venue. All of these type venues I have attended are seperated that way.

There is one I do every year and walk away with about $1000 selling soap and candles. I always set up in the craft section.

What helps me decide what to bring is first deciding how many tables I am setting up. For a large show I do a 3 table set up. That way I do 2 tables full of soap and B&B and one table of candles. That will let me know how much I need to fill the table and then I bring extra.

For example, if I set up a table with candles the table displays hold about 75-85 candles or about 6-7 cases. So I bring about 8-10 cases of candles.

For soap, I need about 300-325 to set up on two tables, plus I bring lotions, lip balm, and spray misters. I have shelves for my B&B and take enough stock to fill the shelves plus some extra. Soap I take about 400 bars with me.

For a two day show this is what I take for day one. I inventory what I need to replace just before leaving for the day and stock up what I need to take with me the next day.

HTH

• 2 months later...

So this weekend is the big event.  We are bringing about 375 candles.  Expected crowds are now estimated at 12-20,000 guests.  We did the best we could to set up a booth with two separate "smelling stations."  My goal is to make a minimum of $600, but that could be aiming too high.

What is the most you've ever made at these types of things?

Edited by ellajoan

On 5/16/2018 at 4:40 PM, ellajoan said:

Depends, - I never did well in spring/summer time, so now only do 4 fall shows. 

There is one show that I do about 20-25x my booth fee, and it's the smallest show I do (granted my booth fee is low, but still) 

Good luck, and hopefully you do well! 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, ellajoan said:

So this weekend is the big event.  We are bringing about 375 candles.  Expected crowds are now estimated at 12-20,000 guests.  We did the best we could to set up a booth with two separate "smelling stations."  My goal is to make a minimum of $600, but that could be aiming too high.

So, how did it go?  Hope you did well.   I have my first big one for the year this coming weekend.  It's in a tourist town about 3.5 hours away and I usually do extremely well.  Unfortunately, unless the weather reports change it could be totally crappy as of now it's supposed to rain Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  But, keeping my fingers crossed.  

Did well.  I made almost exactly 10x my booth rent, which was good considering the weather was rainy and kind of cold.  We also booked another show and got a potential wholesale account, so all in all it went swimmingly.  

• Like 3