I've used an infrared thermometers for years and I believe it was last year a post went up here about thermometers and someone posted that the infrared are not accurate thermometers as they don't get accurate readings of the internal temperature of the interior of the wax so after I read that post I went back to the glass thermometers.  The reason I originally went to the infrared is because one day I wacked the glass thermometer inside the pour pot where the wax was and I wound up throwing that whole pot of wax out after seeing the mercury gone.  You do have to be real careful with those glass ones.  I only have 1 and I keep saying I'm going to get a couple more and haven't done yet.

Trappeur

• Like 2

- 270# Water jacket wax melter 

-65# direct heat melter

- rite hete wax pump

-restaurant heating strip 500watt x3( went from spending all day with a heat gun to finish yesterdays batches to cranking through 600 candles in about an hour and a half.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's very sturdy, except the one with the rubber coverings tends to smell like burnt rubber with too much heat gun on it. It also is harder to get into place. But overall, I think Steve did an awesome job. I love them with one exception ... that I can only do seven tilts at a time. Would rather be able to do 10 at the least lol. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 3:44 PM, Trappeur said:

I've used an infrared thermometers for years and I believe it was last year a post went up here about thermometers and someone posted that the infrared are not accurate thermometers as they don't get accurate readings of the internal temperature of the interior of the wax so after I read that post I went back to the glass thermometers.  The reason I originally went to the infrared is because one day I wacked the glass thermometer inside the pour pot where the wax was and I wound up throwing that whole pot of wax out after seeing the mercury gone.  You do have to be real careful with those glass ones.  I only have 1 and I keep saying I'm going to get a couple more and haven't done yet.

Trappeur

Question:  have you done a temp test comparing the infrared vs the glass thermometers....I'm curious what the temp differences would show.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scented said:

It's very sturdy, except the one with the rubber coverings tends to smell like burnt rubber with too much heat gun on it. It also is harder to get into place. But overall, I think Steve did an awesome job. I love them with one exception ... that I can only do seven tilts at a time. Would rather be able to do 10 at the least lol. 

count your blessings!!  I can do only 3 at a time with my 2x4....lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pam W said:

count your blessings!!  I can do only 3 at a time with my 2x4....lol

They are counted ... the wish for 10 is an encouragement for Steve to think about doing them. I'm not handy this way and neither is my partner. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Testing123 said:

wooden sticks for stirring seems quite popular here. Is there a reason?

Cheap or free, easy to use, and a handy tool is why they are popular. I use the handle of a wooden spoon that I've had for about 18 years. 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2018 at 9:45 PM, Pam W said:

Question:  have you done a temp test comparing the infrared vs the glass thermometers....I'm curious what the temp differences would show.

No I never have...anyway the infared went on the blink and stopped working, so I threw out....sorry can't help...

Trappeur

I was skeptical of the IR thermometers, but forced myself to use one while learning a few new waxes, and fixing issues with old ones. As long as the wax is stirred well before taking a reading the temps have been pretty close. It’s eye opening what a few degrees one way or the other can do to a finished candle. 

Another piece of equipment I can’t do without is a big fan. With my waxes a quick cool makes for a prettier candle. I put pour pots right on the fan to quickly drop temps before pouring finicky waxes. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I was skeptical of the IR thermometers, but forced myself to use one while learning a few new waxes, and fixing issues with old ones. As long as the wax is stirred well before taking a reading the temps have been pretty close. It’s eye opening what a few degrees one way or the other can do to a finished candle. 

Another piece of equipment I can’t do without is a big fan. With my waxes a quick cool makes for a prettier candle. I put pour pots right on the fan to quickly drop temps before pouring finicky waxes. 

So, does the fan only work with paraffin?  I have one circulating air in my room but never on my candles.  Intrigued by new ideas.  I did recently purchase a stainless prep table and I insulated at first with boxes, forgot one day and the cool table made the candles cool from bottom up and they actually looked way better.  Now I'm not using the boxes unless the table is super cold.

• Like 2

I use the fans with beeswax, soy, and paraffin. Just stick the pot on the fan or in front if you have a box type fan, and stir to keep it all homogenous until pouring. Pour at the desired temp. Nothing removes heat like fast moving air. 

for candles that benefit from a rapid cool, ive put the molds and containers directly on a wire shelf over an air cleaner that turbo blasts air out the top. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2018 at 5:34 AM, TallTayl said:

I'm with you there.......after I pour my candles if I'm going for rustics/marbled I turn on a fan that blows directly on my work table.  If I'm doing mottles then I cover them with towels and keep the cool draft off of of them so they can cool slowly.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, Quentin said:

To those of you who make lots and lots of candles:  Could you list a piece or two of candle making equipment or tools that you simply couldn't do without? List as many as you like. Thanks.

Q

My master built turkey fryer with spout.  I could not make candles without it to melt 50 lbs wax.

• Like 2

I'm the other way when it comes to cooling.  I actually use several large beverage coolers to place candles into so that they cool slowly.  Most of my wax blends work better with a slow cool.  So I'd have to add coolers to my equipment list, though I only use them for palm pillars and paraffin containers.  My soy candles cool on wire shelves.

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
typo

• 3 months later...
On 3/7/2018 at 1:43 AM, LitUp said:

- 270# Water jacket wax melter 

-65# direct heat melter

- rite hete wax pump

-restaurant heating strip 500watt x3( went from spending all day with a heat gun to finish yesterdays batches to cranking through 600 candles in about an hour and a half.)

That's very interesting about the restaurant heating strip vs. using a heat gun on the candle tops. That's awesome if you're doing large batches like you are. I'll have to keep that in mind. LOL

I pretty much use all the basic stuff everyone has mentioned, as it relates to small scale candle making.

- Instead of bamboo sticks or wood sticks for stirring I use washable, durable, plastic, long handled spoons from the Dollar Tree.

- Digital thermometer that has the numbers panel on the top instead of the side so you can just look down at it.

- Pour my jar candles on trays lined with old towels so the trays are not cold.

- I took an 1.5" wick and marked off 1/4" line on it and use that as my wick trimming guide.

- Finally broke down and bought a long neck, electric lighter 🔥, which I love, it’s so cool. I can’t believe I waited this long to buy one, I don’t think I’ll ever buy a regular lighter again. I was feeling so guilty for throwing away so many disposable ones and didn’t want the hassle of refilling lighter fluid. This is my new favorite gadget right now. LOL. 

2018-09-03 13.15.24.jpg

2018-09-03 13.25.28.jpg

2018-09-03 13.27.21.jpg

Edited by Laura C
attach photos
  • Like 4

Also if you don't have wick stabilizing devices or your device doesn't fit a particular jar then you can use scotch tape to make a grid across the top of the jar (as in floral arranging). I did this with my pan test to hold all my wicks in place.

And also this wick centering device. I have the single and the triple wick devices. They are a huge time saver. I love gadgets.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2018 at 8:48 PM, Laura C said:

Also if you don't have wick stabilizing devices or your device doesn't fit a particular jar then you can use scotch tape to make a grid across the top of the jar (as in floral arranging). I did this with my pan test to hold all my wicks in place.

And also this wick centering device. I have the single and the triple wick devices. They are a huge time saver. I love gadgets.

Love this lighter...have to get one. The centering devices are on my wishlist...can't wait for those. My favorite gadget is my wick trimmer 🙈

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Echap77 said:

Love this lighter...have to get one. The centering devices are on my wishlist...can't wait for those. My favorite gadget is my wick trimmer 🙈

On 9/3/2018 at 7:48 PM, Laura C said:

I have that wick setter also. When I first got it I thought it was a piece of junk and threw it aside. However, I have some 8 and 4 oz jelly jars that it fits perfectly. I use it for those. If you're really bored (like I was one day) you can take various sizes of rubber bands and carefully wrap them around those steps. If you're so bored that you're about to jump out the window, you can "stack" the band on the steps. The result is that the rubber bands work like shims and will help them fit other size containers as well. Helps stabilize the device too. It also helps out the rubber band industry.

• Like 2