Scale, Presto pot, silicone spoon/spoonula (two or three), three pour pots (one small and two large), wick holders, measuring cup/scoop (anything to scoop flakes with), infrared thermometer.

Do gloves count? I use a lot of disposable nitrile gloves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Presto, pouring cups (preference is clear), scale, bamboo/chop sticks, dull knife, heat gun, tilter, wick pins, spoon and fork are optional, plenty of molds, shot glass sized measuring glasses, paper towels and aluminum foil for the most part. Not sure what else I'm forgetting. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scented said:

Presto, pouring cups (preference is clear), scale, bamboo/chop sticks, dull knife, heat gun, tilter, wick pins, spoon and fork are optional, plenty of molds, shot glass sized measuring glasses, paper towels and aluminum foil for the most part. Not sure what else I'm forgetting. 

hey scented....what's a tilter??

• Like 2

Great information. Thanks y'all. The big takeaway seems to be that almost everyone mentions their Presto. Are we talking about just your regular old Presto deep fryer? If so, how do you move the wax to the mold or container? Is this a special type of Presto?

2 hours ago, Sunday said:

hey scented....what's a tilter??

Yeah, what's a tilter?

Q

• Like 1

Well it's a piece of equipment I use to make uniform angles with my pillars. It's a metal plate that sits atop a treated wooden base. The plate is used to tilt my molds at different degrees. It has rods attached to the plate for the molds to rest against. Some people use rice or sand in a box to do their tilting. What I use allows me to make up to 7 candles close to identical depending on how much I pour. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 2

It is the Presto fryer. Some people modify theirs to add a faucet. The guide at candletech.com appears to still be available: here

You can purchase them already modified. I found mine (5qt, I believe) on Etsy from AmericanChandler. It didn't have a ball valve with lever handle - just a regular turn handle, which was a bit of a con since it gets so hot, but I make do.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kerven said:

It is the Presto fryer. Some people modify theirs to add a faucet. The guide at candletech.com appears to still be available: here

You can purchase them already modified. I found mine (5qt, I believe) on Etsy from AmericanChandler. It didn't have a ball valve with lever handle - just a regular turn handle, which was a bit of a con since it gets so hot, but I make do.

You can go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and replace that ball valve with a 90* elbow valve. They come with a rubber handle to avoid getting scorched and cost no more than a few dollars. Get some silicone tape, apply to the threads and then re-thread into presto pot. Would take you all of 10 minutes maybe after getting ball valve out 

Your best bet is to remove the current valve and take it with you. Someone at the home center can match the thread size and get you a proper valve with insulated turn lever

Edited by Clear Black
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 10:35 PM, Scented said:

Well it's a piece of equipment I use to make uniform angles with my pillars. It's a metal plate that sits atop a treated wooden base. The plate is used to tilt my molds at different degrees. It has rods attached to the plate for the molds to rest against. Some people use rice or sand in a box to do their tilting. What I use allows me to make up to 7 candles close to identical depending on how much I pour. 

I use a piece of 2x4 wood with "V" cut in it to tilt my molds.

Scented: anyway you can post a pic?

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 12:35 AM, Scented said:

Hey Julie, how the heck have you been? :) It's been a while since I logged on here. How's that tilter working for you? In case anyone is wondering, I made the tilter for Julie. I checked into getting a patent, but it's a complicated and expensive process, so I gave up on going through that ordeal. Of course the price of materials has risen but I still have the drawings and patterns for making them.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SteveinPA said:

Hey Julie, how the heck have you been? :) It's been a while since I logged on here. How's that tilter working for you? In case anyone is wondering, I made the tilter for Julie. I checked into getting a patent, but it's a complicated and expensive process, so I gave up on going through that ordeal. Of course the price of materials has risen but I still have the drawings and patterns for making them.

I love it still ... better than the first one, but I want a bigger one of course lol! hOW IN the world are yoU? 

Do you care if I satisfy Pam's curiosity with a pix?

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Scented said:

I love it still ... better than the first one, but I want a bigger one of course lol! hOW IN the world are yoU? 

Do you care if I satisfy Pam's curiosity with a pix?

I'm still surviving. Yeah, you can satisfy Pam's curiosity. Who knows, maybe I can make some more of them.

• Like 3

Melter, thermometer, scales, heat gun, griddle pan, pour pots, wood spoons, wick centering tools. Can't remember the name of those paint scraper thingies but I have a small one to scrape up wax spills, lots of paper towels, small plastic cups to hold and measure fragrance, plus I also use hot pad holders sometimes. My most important safety equipment is my respirator. I also wear old clothes that cover my arms, legs, feet, when I make candles.

I don't use gloves for candlemaking, but they would be a good idea to use if you spill wax a lot or canl't handle wax spilled on your hands or accidentally touching molten wax. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the equipment i use when candle making, hope this helps! I was also wondering what type of thermometers everyone uses? (Infrared or candy thermometers)

• Presto Pot (without spigot)
  • Aluminum Pour Pot
  • Scale
  • Wooden chop sticks (for mixing wax and fragrance oil)
  • Heat gun (for smoothing finished candles, if needed.)
  • Aluminum Wick Holders
  • Glue dots (for holding the wick to the jar)
  • Thermometer
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midas251 said:

I was also wondering what type of thermometers everyone uses? (Infrared or candy thermometers)

I personally don't take temps anymore, and haven't for a very long time.

However, just a word of advice, if using an infrared, make sure you stir your wax when taking temps, because those type of thermometers only take the surface temp which potentially could be significantly cooler than the temp below the surface. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok....let's see

- Melter

- 4 Pour pots ( I need to get some more ordered)

- 4 Small porcelain pots to do repours

- Wooden skewers for stirring

- Thermometer

- All my many cat food plastic containers (the yellow Meow Mix)

- Wooden dowel for wick threader

- Paper towels

- Paper grocery bags to line counters

- Scale

- Rags to put on scale to protect the finish

- Tons of wick stickums

- Uv

Trappeur

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sunday said:

no thermometer JC? Now you have me curious? Please don't tell me you dip your finger in:laugh2:

LOL No. 

I work with paraffin where temps are not as picky as they are with other waxes, so what I do is set my presto to 190, melt my wax, then pour it into my warmed pour pots, stir in my RT scent and color. By that time, my pour pot is comfortably warm to the palm of my hand, and I pour. 

Sometimes with my pillars I wait a bit longer to pour because if the wax is too hot it will leak slightly through my wicking apparatus. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

She is such an old hand at this, I wouldn't be surprised if she says she does use her finger! lol

Trappeur

LOL I have tried to do a paraffin dip with my wax, but all it did was make a mess. Won't be doing that anymore. 

Oh and I should add, when recommending the "how to's" to new chandlers, I never recommend to not use a thermometer. I have just found in my applications, with the wax I use, it is not necessary. 

• Like 1

Same here. Quit using a thermometer some years back. I have one on hand in case but I've been making the same candles for so long I know the temp is just where I want it each step of the way.

Also would not recommend not using an accurate thermometer until you have enough experience behind you you know exactly what the wax temp is every step of the way. Also, depends on what wax you use and how many temp variations you do during your candlemaking process. If I had more variations I may still be using a thermometer.

BTW-- I only used one of the cheapie glass thermometors you can buy from most candle suppliers. I think they are about $5-6 dollars. I have a candy thermometer too and also a meat thermometer. Never bought an infrared or digital one. A simple cheap one works fine.

No I haven't dipped my fingers in the wax.... oh wait.... I think I did once? Not on purpose thou. LOL :lol:

Edited by Candybee
  • Haha 1