coconut wax pro n cons

hello candlers, I'm new to this hobby. I have only used coconut wax. I've been ready on this this forum  and now i'm a little concerned.lol

should I blend it with something else?

could someone share a the best blend they came up with. 

what is the best wick with that blend

my vessel isTop Diameter: 2 7/8" 
Bottom Diameter: 3 1/4"
Height: 4 1/8"
Capacity: 12 oz. (measurements from website)

use eco wicks. Is that the best wick with my coconut83 wax?

In my case of beads (which is supposedly coconut 83) in that size I would start with either an eco 4 or an eco6. A lot depends on the fragrance and how diligent the person burning the candle is about trimming prior to lighting.

that size container will build a lot of heat by the middle, and the flame will begin to dance a lot. Over and under wicking, and improper trimming, will lead to soot. Toward the end of any container I have used that wax in there is some amount of soot. 

if you want to blend, prepare to take a lot of good notes. Think about what your end goal is with a blend. Is it to make it more firm? Extend the burn? Clean the burn? Change the throw? Reduce the cost? Whatever your goal that will help direct your choice of additives. I find I like it as-is with 6% fragrance and a drop of liquid color in my status jars. 

Some places recommend using stearic acid up to 15%. I would recommend blending at the lowest ends of the recommendations first, and allowing plenty of cure time when adding anything to see the results the best. 

Soy wax has stearic as a natural component, so adding it will help slow the burn, but will change the characteristics too.

ive blended in up to 10% beeswax, sunflower wax, high melt point paraffin, etc. and disliked the resulting burns. You may like them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Some places recommend using stearic acid up to 15%. I would recommend blending at the lowest ends of the recommendations first, and allowing plenty of cure time when adding anything to see the results the best.

@TallTayl  Stearic + coco wax?   I think this may be the 1st time I've seen that suggested.  Uh oh.  Now I'm going to have to try that too!

I read it on one of the coco wax supplier sites. Makes sense though, since a couple of the popular coco blends contain soy and palm. I’m guessing stearic on the palm, plus soy contains stearic.

i, too, am really concerned about coco wax in our brutal summers. Will it sweat? Slump? Become a mess? The ups trucks out here are routinely in the low 100’s in the back. Stuff arrives soupy in summer. The usps truck is no better, FedEx is, but man, I really don’t want to have to Ship fedex. I do for wholesale accounts, but have to drive an hour round trip to the location. 

I have a blend of coco83, C3, and castor that I'm working on in 8oz tins. Haven't tested FO yet - trying to zero in on wick sizes. Oddly enough, I can't get wicks to mushroom in this wax, not that I'm trying. No obvious signs of smoking/sooting so far but the flames do flicker an awful lot. Rate of consumption is absurdly high and all the smaller ECO's (6 and 8) are tunneling. I haven't found a nice balance of consumption and heat. Hoping I don't have to go down to a 4, because then I'm in trouble when adding FO. Going to try a 10 next.

As a note, this blend and ECO wicks are creating melt pools around 140F, which should be good for throw. Now, if only I could get it to form a full melt pool.

Edited by Kerven

Castor wax. Wanted to try to adding a high congeal point additive to add a bit of viscosity to the melt pool and to harden the wax a little (it's still very soft).

In hindsight, the castor may be why I can't get a decent melt pool. The blend is turning translucent a good way out from the MP but refuses to melt. I should have tested a coco-C3 blend first. I wonder if this could stand up to double wicking...

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1