Can FO Burn Off?

Hi there! I’m currently testing a 9oz whisky style tumbler with a diameter of 3in. I am using 464 and HTP62 wicks. I’m using .75oz of fragrance oil. I double the wick the jar. 

My issue is when I’m testing. At the beginning I can smell the fragrance but after it gets to a full melt pool I can’t smell it anymore.  Any thoughts? 

I don't use 464 but you may want to read up on the soy threads all the issues with the soys going on..... none of them are the performing the same anymore - did you just recently run into this with newer lots?

seems soy isn't burning and throwing the way it used to and it's not just a slight variation it's big time this time - I used 415 for years and I can't get what I used to out of it for nothing....changing up wicking has helped some with the throw but it's very very different now and reports on 464 and C3 have been similar 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moonshine said:

I don't use 464 but you may want to read up on the soy threads all the issues with the soys going on..... none of them are the performing the same anymore - did you just recently run into this with newer lots?

seems soy isn't burning and throwing the way it used to and it's not just a slight variation it's big time this time - I used 415 for years and I can't get what I used to out of it for nothing....changing up wicking has helped some with the throw but it's very very different now and reports on 464 and C3 have been similar 

Hi Moonshine! Thank you for responding. I am aware of the 464 issue but will definitely read through the soy wax posts. 

I have  another jar that I use and have been testing scents with it and testing is doing fine. That’s why this is so confusing to me. However I am using CD wicks with this other jar. Maybe I will try CD wicks in my whiskey jar that is causing the issue.   

It could be the new wax is just not reaching the right melt pool temp to throw that scent. The overall melt pool temp is dropping, which changes the air and molten wax currents in the jar. 

If it throws at the beginning, that tells me I am on the right track. You will need to find a wick in that jar that has a rate of consumption closer to the size flame needed to just melt the wax. Too much flame and not enough consumption means the melt pool drops in temp and loses the energy needed to throw the scent. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

It could be the new wax is just not reaching the right melt pool temp to throw that scent. The overall melt pool temp is dropping, which changes the air and molten wax currents in the jar. 

If it throws at the beginning, that tells me I am on the right track. You will need to find a wick in that jar that has a rate of consumption closer to the size flame needed to just melt the wax. Too much flame and not enough consumption means the melt pool drops in temp and loses the energy needed to throw the scent. 

That seems more like what could be happening. Maybe I’ll try a CD wick since that has worked for me in the past. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Hey Paul!  

First question......Why do you think you need 2 wicks?  1 wick without a doubt works very easily in that diameter jar.

In that size jar with no additives in 464 I had to drop from a cd 10 to a cd 8 (single wick).

I'm learning a lot and understanding what Tall Tayle is saying about the consumption of the wax and having all these new changes.

Not sure what to think, but do you think that using 2 wicks is burning off the scent? hmmmm...Tall Tayle or someone needs to come here and comment on that one....

Maybe you need to up the oil too?

Trappeur

22 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Hey Paul!  

First question......Why do you think you need 2 wicks?  1 wick without a doubt works very easily in that diameter jar.

In that size jar with no additives in 464 I had to drop from a cd 10 to a cd 8 (single wick).

I'm learning a lot and understanding what Tall Tayle is saying about the consumption of the wax and having all these new changes.

Not sure what to think, but do you think that using 2 wicks is burning off the scent? hmmmm...Tall Tayle or someone needs to come here and comment on that one....

Maybe you need to up the oil too?

Trappeur

I have never been able get a nice clean full melt pool with a single wick so that is why I have 2. I’m currently already selling this candle jar and had tested it out very well. Now as I’m testing a new scents I’m having issues with HT. 

On 2/13/2018 at 2:11 PM, TallTayl said:

You could probably harden the wax just enough with stearic or USA and those wicks might do the job very well. 

How much stearic  do you suggest to start testing with in the 464.   Or do you have a recommended line test % to try?  I have zero experience with stearic - I purchased some but not too sure where to begin the testing. *shudder*

I always start at the low end. I’d go with 1% or 2%. If I have enough wax and containers I would do Others at either 1% increments or 2%. Then cure and burn side by side. Less is usually more with additives. 

In my c3 last year 5% was a noteworthy sweet spot. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So an update to my original post. After test burning twice on my 3rd test I could start getting a really good HT. That seems to start happening about 1/4 the way down. 

What I originally thought was that the flames were getting too hot and possibly burning off the scent before it could fill the space. Now I believe it wasn’t getting hot enough and after the flames get down into the jar it is creating more heat and the fragrance is able to throw. 

That’s my thought. Does anyone else have an opinion? 

Just a reminder on what I’m testing:

10oz whiskey tumbler/ using .75oz of FO/ 464 Wax/ htp62 wicks