464 resets

Hi there ... I am really frustrated with the variation of the resets of 464 wax. Some of my jars are setting OK (not beautifully smooth , but not ugly) - while others are really awful. Lumpy tops , cottage cheese look and craters . The worst are 4" double wick jars , that really set ugly around the wicks ... I was thinking his happens because of the intense heat. Do all of you find from time to time 464 behaves this way , or is there something I can either add or do to help prevent it? I heat wax to 90c add fragrance ...stir 2mins then pour around 70c. If I pour lower , the wax always sets bad. thankyou- Sally

I first would try adjusting the temps when you add fragrance and pour. Try adding fragrance between 180F - 185F (which is 82C - 85C). Pouring at 70C is about 158F, which has proved to be way too hot in my tests. When I pour around 140F (60C), I get mostly smooth tops.

However - lately I've been having trouble with air cavities inside my candles. The tops look great, but test burns reveal craters under the surface that cause the wick to tunnel and extinguish itself. Because of this, I've lowered my pouring temp quite a bit. I'm still testing, but pouring around 110F (43C) seems to have solved the issue. Unfortunately, lower pouring temps for me have always resulted in rough tops, so I have had to correct that with a heat gun after the candles have set.

464 is a finicky wax. I hope you find the right sweet spot for your pouring temps...I know how frustrating it can be!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 2:50 PM, obsessed said:

Hi there ... I am really frustrated with the variation of the resets of 464 wax ...

Hi, my apologies, but I'm not familiar with the term "resets" ... do you mean what the wax looks like after you pour the candle or how it looks after a first burn? 

Something to keep in mind from my experiences is the room temp that it's being poured in as well. I had issues all summer long not really figuring out the issue but now that it's winter a 185 mix temp with a 155 pour temp works perfectly. Something to think about.