Aloe water

Pam W

Ok, I looked it up on the internet and it's pretty simple...duh.  Anyway, I was thinking about using the aloe vera water in my lotions...thinking that it my help with dry skin problems.

If anyone has any experience with this, I'll be so appreciative of your input.

I've wondered about this myself since I also have some growing. I've noticed that the ingredients for some store-bought brands is listed as just aloe, citric acid and sodium benzoate. Is it possible (or recommended) to preserve the aloe juice itself?

aloe juice can cause polarity issues (can destabilize a lotion) depending on the formulation and emulsifier(s).

You'll need a powerful broad spectrum preservative and impeccably clean work spaces to ensure a safe, stable product.

You can't see microbial growth until it has really progressed.

With so many other stable and easy humectants, plus more powerful oils and butters to reduce TEWL,  you have a lot of choices.

• Like 1

I have aloe powder that I have reconstituted in distilled water and added a preservative to. I make it in fairly small quantities and I keep it in the fridge.

Even then, I primarily use it in serums or gels that also contain alcohol, or facial lotions that are small batch and will be used up quickly. And of course I use a broad spectrum preservative in my final product. For the reasons that TT stated, I feel noodgie about using food/plant products in my lotions, and I would certainly not trust myself to make a safe ingredient out of my garden like that. I definitely do not have the skills, equipment, or patience, lol!

I liked @Candybee's idea to use them in soap!