My first wax blend ever - using 464 soy and 4625 pillar

I've never done a blend until now.   So here goes.

I did 75% in 464 soy and 25% 4625 pillar.

In the pictures below I used PPW from Fragrance Buddy and did something I never do...I did 1 1/2oz of oil per pound of the blended 2 waxes. 

I always use 6% or a tad over but last week I did an oops and somehow poured 1 1/2oz of oil into a pound of 464 as I was making some candles for me.  Now this was just 464 (not the blend).  Well I lit the candle after I think it was like 8 days just for the heck of it and it was very very very strong..(Just the way I like em). 

My findings of doing my first blend and with these 2 waxes I found it to set up very very quickly.  That's ok...no problem there.

It was a very creamy blend I think but harder than 464 plain.  (guess it is supposed to be like that).

I was doing a blend to see if I could get a stronger scent throw.   We shall see..

I didn't change my wick sizing doing the blend even with adding the pillar wax to 

Should I have gone with the next size wick up???

I did find that after pouring them all (the initial pour), once the candles hardened they all had dips in the middle unlike using just plain 464 soy.  I gather this is a characteristic trait to a pillar wax?  Am I correct in thinking that?  But the repour over the tops of the candles took care of the dips immediately and they all came out flawless as you can see in the pictures.  When you look at the candles with the repours done you will notice the repours didn't reach the glass sides.  I didn't have much wax left in the pot so I slightly skimped on the repours so at least they all could get done so that is why the edges look the way they do.

My pouring temp for the candles was between 146 and 151.  I had to work fast as the wax was cooling fast.  Is this typical of a paraffin?

Overall, I like very much the blend.  Have no idea of how it is going to burn with those size wicks but time will tell.

Ok...question.??????

Normally I cure 464 for 2 weeks.

Now what is the recommendation of what I should do for a cure time with this blend?  I have no idea!

Thanks ......Trappeur

The 2 crystals are 6" diameters and used 3 cd7 (my normal for 464)

The little bronze new jar is 4 1/2" diameter.  Is a new jar I'm trying.  I used 2 cd 6 wicks in a plain 464 and was perfect.  But I'm trying 2 cd 7 here with the blend.

In the 2 crystals that is just a shadow on the back side of the jar looking at the wax when I took the picture.

CIMG0283.thumb.JPG.0954027661de2d47d9fcaab9d78fc51d.JPG

This is the new 16oz bronze jar I'm trying out.

I put in 2 cd 7.

I did the repour over the top and it came out beautiful.  All the other jars came out just as nice,

Now just have to wait for a little cure time and hope the wicking is right and see how the 1 1/2oz of oil per pound of wax does when lit.

Overall, I am very pleased with how they all came out and determining the correct repour temp.

CIMG0285.thumb.JPG.65a2400f8fc51858e2cc3a5f65a28144.JPG

Now these little jars hold about 4oz wax.

They are 2 1/2" diameter and 3" tall.

These little jars can you believe they are yogurt jars?   This woman I know, buys this yogurt like it is friggin going out of style.  She gives me about 20 jars a week and she even washes them for me! lol, lol.  She loves her yogurt.  God love her..... Well she asked me one day if I would like some jars and when I saw them, I said, hell yeah!   I'll make them for me.  And I guessed on a wick size of a cd4 and I hit it right on the nail....Perfect wick and perfect little stinkin jar.....he he he

Ok, see the dips on the initial pour of these little jars?  Is this normal when doing a blend of 2 waxes?  All the jars including the crystals had dips like this.  It's no problem for me, but was just wondering.  This could almost be a 1 pour jobby using this blend except for the dips.

CIMG0290.thumb.JPG.cd4dbab1193aefaa3010fd1def0f21de.JPG

• Like 3

They look good Trap!  In my very limited experience with this blend I also had the "dips".

What was your approx room temp when you poured them? If i remember correctly you keep your house temp on the cool side?

Nice!  Those little jars are great!  It's common for the center to dip as far as I know in using paraffin or blends.  I think the curing time is going to be about the same as you've been doing.  Those are really nice looking candles, I wish I could smell them!  :)

(Just my opinion, but the multiple wicks look like a lot more work.)

Did you poke the dips to see if there was a cavity? I would do that with an unknown blend that created dips until I was sure that it is not producing any holes around the wick. A repour can take care of the poked wax and fill in any holes. Also, adding a pillar wax may make the wax shrink and the candle 'rattle' in the jar so you will want to watch out for that until you are more familiar with your new blend.

The candles look very pretty BTW. Love the creamy tops. Hopefully you will get the increased hot throw you want. Not always an easy thing to achieve!

I just realized I did a friggin major oops blending 4625 and 464!   I bought 10 pounds of the 4625 for a melt blend and 10 pounds 4630 for a candle blend and used the wrong wax for the candle blend.   And now I have those 2 big 3 pound mahaka crystal candles made and the others in the 4625/464 which is wrong!   What a waste of wax!  And to top it off, I already dropped off one of the big crystals to a friend of mine who I make candles for in these crystals and she started burning it yesterday when she was supposed to wait 2 weeks.   I'm so ticked....Can't believe I did this!

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

I think it will be fine Trapp! I've added pillar wax to container wax before when I needed a cooler and slower burning container candle. Your wicking might be off a bit, but these are just testers, right? Like @kandlekrazy said, maybe you just saved yourself some hassle!

Do give the 464/4630 a go though, I think you'll be really pleased with the results. I bet a 7% fo load would give you insane hot throw!

As for your friend... Mine don't get their goodies until after the full cure is done, they can't be trusted to curb their impatience!! 😆

Much respect to the patience of soy chandlers, I struggle to wait the full 24 hours to burn my paraffin! 🙃

• Like 1

lol.....Oky doky Sarah and KK....we shall see...Thankyou for putting my mind to ease a bit....I guess...So I guess a 2 week cure is the best, huh?  How bout I sneak a test burn at 10 days?  Its 3 days into the cure now.....

Trappeur

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 1:35 PM, Candybee said:

Did you poke the dips to see if there was a cavity? I would do that with an unknown blend that created dips until I was sure that it is not producing any holes around the wick. A repour can take care of the poked wax and fill in any holes. Also, adding a pillar wax may make the wax shrink and the candle 'rattle' in the jar so you will want to watch out for that until you are more familiar with your new blend.

The candles look very pretty BTW. Love the creamy tops. Hopefully you will get the increased hot throw you want. Not always an easy thing to achieve!

I didn't poke them when I made them, but just now I gave them all some pokes and no cavities....so all is good so far...

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I'm always antsy to try a new wax so I'd burn 1 at 7 days, 1 at 10 days and wait 14 for the others and compare.  You may find 7 is enough and wouldn't that be just dandy?

Ok, I'll do that KK, so I can burn on Wed.  This should be very interesting especially since I did 1 1/2oz oil!  oh my! lol

Trappeur

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@Candybee I take it you only poke holes when your tops are not smooth? Or if you try a new wax/blend?

GoldieMN

I poke holes whenever I have any reason to think there may be a hole underneath the top. An indent around the wick is an indication there might be one. Or sometimes if its a known factor for a particular wax. By that I mean I used to use a parasoy blend that typically left holes around the wick in large 16oz jars but not smaller ones say 9-12 oz. You didn't always get an indent either, but when I poked around the wick I could sometimes still find one. So it depends, if I know the wax is prone to causing holes I will poke whether I see an indent or not.

@Trappeur for some reason I can't see the pics you posted on this topic?  I would love to see what yogurt containers you gals are talking about.  I only make wax melts and some B&B but you now have me wanting to make a few candles just for myself!  🤓  

Also, would love to hear the outcome of the 464/4625 candles tou made on accident instead of the 464/4630.  Sounds like a great blend anyhow!  😇  Lmk 

Hi Marleigha....I'm sorry about those pictures.  Geesh I don't know why they are gone as they were there last week as I was looking at them.....hmmmm

As for the blend of 464 and 4625, there was nothing special...not even a stronger throw.  But it was an accident using the 4625.  I let the candles cure for 2  weeks and it burned like normal.  So nothing to write home about.

Trappeur

6 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Hi Marleigha....I'm sorry about those pictures.  Geesh I don't know why they are gone as they were there last week as I was looking at them.....hmmmm

As for the blend of 464 and 4625, there was nothing special...not even a stronger throw.  But it was an accident using the 4625.  I let the candles cure for 2  weeks and it burned like normal.  So nothing to write home about.

Trappeur

Well, bummer!

Did you pour any of your 464/4630 mix?

I just love the CBL125 from Candlewic, which is really close to IGI4630. So easy to work with, and most oils throw like MLB pros in it! 

I poured some candles using Candlewic's CBL130 last week. It is a parasoy that's supposed to be similar to IGI6006. I have never been so anxious to light a candle in my LIFE!!! Waiting two weeks is AGONY, how do you do it?? 😫😆

Hi Sarah,

I haven't burned the 4630 combo yet.  Probably won't get to them till the weekend,  Maybe it will do better and I'll post my findings.

2 weeks is agony for sure......I did burn Flamings Sweet Strawberry in 10 days time just the other day in just the 464 and it was a killer throw..so much, I had to blow it out...that's fine in my book.  Now I did do 1.3 oz oil to a pound of 464 wax just to experiment and was a winner considering all the problems with soy waxes lately.  I'm getting ready to burn another fragrance load like that too shortly.  I'll let you know about that also.

Trappeur

• Like 1