So Many Changes and Loss

I haven’t been on these boards much in several years since so much was going on in my life and I had to put my candle and bath and body stuff aside. I have been trying to read and get up to date on familiar user names since joining this forum in 2005 and was really sad to read about several members passing. I have never met any of you but I could tell personalities by just reading over the years. I didn’t have much time in the past to participate a lot in discussions because I had a pretty demanding corporate schedule and with any extra time, I found relaxation in my candle craft room. I had to step away from both the corporate world and my craft room as pain I was experiencing over the years kept getting worse. Doctors just wanted to give me pain pills but I didn’t want to become addicted and wanted answers. I finally found a good rheumatologist who took the time to go through my medical records over the years and do additional testing as I had gotten so bad that I couldn’t walk and was using a wheelchair outside of the house. I finally got my answer and diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis which is an autoimmune disease that affects the spine and joints. I was put on Humira and I am now able to walk again and I am looking forward to getting into my craft workshop and start doing what makes me happy. There have been so many changes though and I feel like a newbie testing wax and wicks all over again. I used to use Greenleaf’s parasoy which they got from Clarus and when green leaf closed, TCS became the only distributor and now that they closed, I would have to buy direct. Does anyone here use this wax? -Sherry

• Like 1

Welcome back! I too suffer from AS, as well as Psoriatic Arthritis and Crohn's Disease as well as my newest friend Autoimmune Hepatitis. Fun stuff those AI's are. ;) Like that you too searched out WHY instead of living with here, take this. I am on Humira and have been on Enbrel in the past. It can make a WORLD of difference! Just try and take it easy, AI disease spins more AI disease, I work in health care so see this all the time. It's nice to sometimes hear that others faced the same struggles you have getting that dx!

Welcome back! It has been a long time. Sorry to read about what you've been going through. Not a user of your wax, but Clarus might be able to help you find a replacement. I don't know if the parasoy waxes were affected by the soy changes either that a few people seem to be experiencing. I stepped away for almost two years and things changed greatly in that time frame as well. However, the craft still has a pretty good calming affect on me. It has just been a matter of finding a few things that used to be around and aren't now. 

8 hours ago, Scented said:

Welcome back! It has been a long time. Sorry to read about what you've been going through. Not a user of your wax, but Clarus might be able to help you find a replacement. I don't know if the parasoy waxes were affected by the soy changes either that a few people seem to be experiencing. I stepped away for almost two years and things changed greatly in that time frame as well. However, the craft still has a pretty good calming affect on me. It has just been a matter of finding a few things that used to be around and aren't now. 

I reached out to Clarus and need to decide if I want to continue with buying directly from them or try something new like the coconut wax. Now to see if anyone still carries some of my favorite fragrances. I loved so many of Old Mill's/Tony's. I still have some of the Goddess, Sandalwood Rose and Dragron's Blood from the last prebuy southern gardens did a few years ago but it looks like they don't carry them anymore. I am also seeing several new companies and will have to check them out!

9 hours ago, Flicker said:

Welcome back! I too suffer from AS, as well as Psoriatic Arthritis and Crohn's Disease as well as my newest friend Autoimmune Hepatitis. Fun stuff those AI's are. ;) Like that you too searched out WHY instead of living with here, take this. I am on Humira and have been on Enbrel in the past. It can make a WORLD of difference! Just try and take it easy, AI disease spins more AI disease, I work in health care so see this all the time. It's nice to sometimes hear that others faced the same struggles you have getting that dx!

Wow, not too many people have heard of AS so I am happy to know someone I can talk to and ask questions.  We are getting ready to put a therapy pool in to help strengthen my spine and joints. You see more hydrotherapy spas and pools in Europe than you do in the US so our pool company is looking at some of the ones that NFL teams or physical therapy companies have. We don't have anything like that near me so it will be a big investment but water exercise is the only I can handle. I am going to send you a message about the Autoimmune Hepatitis. 

9 hours ago, smellywax said:

I reached out to Clarus and need to decide if I want to continue with buying directly from them or try something new like the coconut wax. Now to see if anyone still carries some of my favorite fragrances. I loved so many of Old Mill's/Tony's. I still have some of the Goddess, Sandalwood Rose and Dragron's Blood from the last prebuy southern gardens did a few years ago but it looks like they don't carry them anymore. I am also seeing several new companies and will have to check them out!

Ahhh Pure Fragrance Oils I think has the old Tony's fragrances. Or did at one point. They bought out Moonworks too. 

Hi there!  I too used Greenleaf's parasoy - are you in the DFW area?  I stepped away from candlemaking about the time they closed up, so I am not sure about a replacement.   Since then I've been using 6006 to make candles and melts for myself and friends/Family.  Last fall I started testing in earnest to relaunch a business - I ended up blending my own parasoy with 3 different waxes.  It was the only way to get the exact results I wanted, since all of the local blends and soy waxes didn't work.  Since i live in Dallas, I am spoiled to have 3 suppliers within a 30 min drive in either direction, so I made do with what I could get locally, instead of paying to ship wax.

4 minutes ago, Velma said:

Hi there!  I too used Greenleaf's parasoy - are you in the DFW area?  I stepped away from candlemaking about the time they closed up, so I am not sure about a replacement.   Since then I've been using 6006 to make candles and melts for myself and friends/Family.  Last fall I started testing in earnest to relaunch a business - I ended up blending my own parasoy with 3 different waxes.  It was the only way to get the exact results I wanted, since all of the local blends and soy waxes didn't work.  Since i live in Dallas, I am spoiled to have 3 suppliers within a 30 min drive in either direction, so I made do with what I could get locally, instead of paying to ship wax.

Clarus’ wharehouse is in Dallas and their wax is what Greenleaf sold so you can actually pick it up from them...you are lucky 🙂

Hello Sherry and welcome back to this great forum.  Although I don't remember crossing paths years back , I remember seeing your name on the board here.  Wow, so many old timers here and so many of us with crippling things wrong with us....Me too just lately with gall bladder problems...We need to start a separate club for all the handicapped here I swear with the more each of us talks about ourselves....Now I don't feel such out of place with my ailments! ha!   So anyway nice to meet you!

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur