Palm wax for brittle

Barefootgirl

Agree with Faerywren-- I would not use palm for brittle melts or clamshells. It won't work in clamshells because of the high temps you need to heat and pour palm.

Palm wax does make excellent melts thou. My absolute favorite wax melts are made with palm. Outstanding hot throw delivered within seconds of warming on hot plate type melter. Plus I use only the standard 6% FO load so it is also cost effective. I also use metal tart molds and they pop right out when cooled.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

Agree with Faerywren-- I would not use palm for brittle melts or clamshells. It won't work in clamshells because of the high temps you need to heat and pour palm.

Palm wax does make excellent melts thou. My absolute favorite wax melts are made with palm. Outstanding hot throw delivered within seconds of warming on hot plate type melter. Plus I use only the standard 6% FO load so it is also cost effective. I also use metal tart molds and they pop right out when cooled.

This is exactly how I make melts. Granted, I only make them for me, but still... :)

I haven't used portion cups so I'm not sure about that.  But, I do pour feather palm into clamshells with success. I cover with baking pans to slow the cooling process. They still feather beautifully. I am trying to remember what temp I poured....it has been 2 months since I tested it and I am not near my notes. It was either 180ish or 170ish!

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 9:22 AM, kandlekrazy said:

It works great!  I make sea glass melts out of palm wax.  I pour into old cookie sheets and when it hardens I just drop the tray to break in various shapes and sizes.  I bag them up and sell.

I LOVE that name you call yours!! That's the method I was going to do if I made brittle. Do you have any pictures? 

On 1/26/2018 at 10:08 PM, Sebleo said:

It works extremely well! I have been using feather palm for about a year. I did the brittle at first but changed to shapes. I love how palm pops right out of any shape melter.

Do you have any pictures of your wax brittle too? 

13 hours ago, Barefootgirl said:

I LOVE that name you call yours!! That's the method I was going to do if I made brittle. Do you have any pictures? 

Do you have any pictures of your wax brittle too? 

I don't have any pics but I plan to make it again for our Sea Glass festival in March so I'll try to remember to shoot some pics.  You will end up with some tiny pieces and dust that you can either melt yourself or throw away.  I charge $5 for a bag which is prob only 2 oz.  I don't even weigh these, just fill bags to same level.

• Thanks 1