Can you pack melts in paper? Alternatives outside plastic

Barefootgirl

Need alternative point of views. So my thought process goes like this...scented pillar candles do not need packaging to be contained in. However, its good for keeping dust and damage to a minimum. The candle itself though are solid enough to not need a jar or such and scent leaking isn't a issue right? So if you made wax melts from pillar wax wouldn't you just be able to package them in unlined paper bags okay? Pretty much using the paper bag as the labeling medium to show it's scent and to keep a variety of scents sorted correctly. This has been something I keep thinking about and trying to weigh the sides. I just think it like this-  so you see cigar bands as the labels on pillar candles and they don't seem oil soaked or absorb the scent too much. I'm looking for ways to package wax melts outside of the plastic bags more less. I have a couple ways beyond plastic that work but at the same time I'm just trying to simplify the labeling and packaging in one.

This is sort of all over the place here so hopefully it makes sense. It's me brainstorming and would love some others views to work me through this. I know certain plastics leach the scent out though and understand that. It's just strange you never hear much about muslin bags, cellophane, glassine or paper as packaging much. Any insight is appreciated! 

Edit: Thought I might add I'm planning on using Palm wax. I've only used Soy in the past. Although I never have worked with Palm I've decided to choose to go with it to best meet my needs. From my understanding it's a more "dry" wax. 

Edited by Barefootgirl

Certain papers will pull out the oils of wax, certain plastics will pull out the scent of wax. Etc., there are pros and cons to each, you really just have to find one you can live with both pros and cons. 

That being said, I know a lot of people use biodegradable shrink wrap -(can't remember the type) that don't leach out the scent. That way you have a see-through, non-leaching, non-harmful to the environment, packaging. 

Palm is an awesome wax IMO for melts. I know @Candybee uses palm almost exclusively for her candle business, and I am leaning toward that direction once my stock of pillar wax is gone. 

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. 

• Like 3

Packaging is as important (if not moreso) than product. It is your brand, your identity. 

Pillar candles get dirty, faded and even dinged without packaging.  Melts get banged up, chipped and broken without adequate protective packaging. Both lose scent faster than packaged versions of the same item. 

Jc - biolefin is the material I think you were thinking of. 

That said, I switched to Kraft boxes and glassine about a decade ago for most of my products needing protection. A paper label and plenty of marketing to stress the eco friendly nature of the packaging choice kept it sustainable. However, the packaging often needs refreshing as oils from the product can tend to leech into the materials over time especially in areas where temp and humidity fluctuate. It is simply the nature of the beast. In hot and humid summer months I add a layer of breathable shrink wrap inside the more expensive items to keep them beautiful. 

At first I tried minimal to no packaging for pillar candles. Customers responded by buying very little as the products seemed, to them, unclean. Literally seconds after I packaged the pillars in something shiny and clean they sold out. Same candles that had been sitting for weeks, just shown some care and thought with a little packaging. 

• Like 5

I bought shrink wrap tubing  and a plastic tubing bag from one of the candle places, never used the shrink wrap one but I use the plastic for my melts from that bit of extra wax I end up putting in a mold.  I just staple them shut since its just for me but you could heat seal the ends of this and make a nice presentation with a header card for sales.  I've never had a problem with it leaching scent like the polypro ones do that I grab sometimes.  These are a continuous roll so you cut to your desired length.  I can't remember which supplier had them.

Palm is awesome for melts (and candles) but I don't think paper would work with palm melts either.  They tend to get a bit oily in certain climates and may get all over paper.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Sorry for the hijack.

@kandlekrazy  I am in search of a nice tubing for pillars, both 3x4 Square and 3" round. I have the national shrink wrap system, but man is it a pain for pillars. What sizes were you able to find in the Tubing? 

I believe mine is 2 or 2.5"  wide and it's a long roll so not sure how many feet.  I lost all those invoices in a flood so don't know where I got it but can tell you it's been over 10 years and possibly not even carried at the supplier or the supplier could be gone.  My size is perfect for the round metal molds for melts, or larger candy shaped melts.  Might have been U-line now that I think about it.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2018 at 9:13 AM, Jcandleattic said:

Certain papers will pull out the oils of wax, certain plastics will pull out the scent of wax. Etc., there are pros and cons to each, you really just have to find one you can live with both pros and cons. 

That being said, I know a lot of people use biodegradable shrink wrap -(can't remember the type) that don't leach out the scent. That way you have a see-through, non-leaching, non-harmful to the environment, packaging.

I know what you mean. I've been testing out different options for packaging loose wax melts. This is what I've noticed, if I put the melts in direct contact with unlined paper bags or cardboard or kraft boxes then after some time I may see some oil stains (FO % too high?) and seems like the scent throw when you open the package is not as strong as it use to be. This makes sense. But when I wrap the wax melts in a lined paper such as wax paper or glassine (I've not tried shrink wrap) before storing them in a kraft box for instance for stacking or shipping, there's not any problems. And it looks like most of the cute paper bakery bags with windows have wax lining.

On 1/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, TallTayl said:

Packaging is as important (if not moreso) than product. It is your brand, your identity. 

Pillar candles get dirty, faded and even dinged without packaging.  Melts get banged up, chipped and broken without adequate protective packaging. Both lose scent faster than packaged versions of the same item. 

That said, I switched to Kraft boxes and glassine about a decade ago for most of my products needing protection. A paper label and plenty of marketing to stress the eco friendly nature of the packaging choice kept it sustainable. However, the packaging often needs refreshing as oils from the product can tend to leech into the materials over time especially in areas where temp and humidity fluctuate. It is simply the nature of the beast. In hot and humid summer months I add a layer of breathable shrink wrap inside the more expensive items to keep them beautiful.

I too like kraft boxes and glassine bags for packaging wax melts. Do you wrap the products in glassine before you put them in the boxes? Do you know of any boxes come with wax lining? I don't think I've seen that.

Edited by Laura C

16 minutes ago, Laura C said:

I too like kraft boxes and glassine bags for packaging wax melts. Do you wrap the products in glassine before you put them in the boxes? Do you know of any boxes come with wax lining? I don't think I've seen that.

I do use glassine around the product before putting it into the box.

i have not found lined boxes either.