Hi from accidental chandler in Canada

Ayla

Hi,

I'm from Quebec, Canada.

Two years ago I ordrered some wax, FOs and colorants to make melts as gifts for friends and family members. It went well. Everybody was happy.

Fast forward this month, someone remembered those homemade gifts and gave me 60 pounds of 100% soy wax and 30 pounds stearic acid. :o "Here, this is for you since you make stuff with wax" he says.

Ok... Well, I need to make something with all this.

I lurked this forum for the last 4 weeks, reading thread after thread after thread regarding 100% pure soy wax, some threads dated as back as 2006. I tested and tested and tested whatever procedure or formula suggested for this type of wax.

I felt, after all the reading and all the testing, I needed now to get out of lurking.

Glad to meet you all. Looking forward our interactions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Candybee said:

Welcome to Craft Server!

Love your moniker. I have only seen it from the movie Clan of the Cave Bear. I always loved that name because of the movie!

Thank you for your welcome. "We are the same spirit" (Ayla's quote in the movie). It's a great story. I read the book years ago and loved it so much. Then saw the movie. Love it too, although it took me a while to get used to the physical appearance of the characters which I imagined differently when reading the book.

Your avatar is a riot! :lol:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Welcome!  Don't go too far back looking for wax problems as the past year is a whole new set of problems with soy wax.  I guess it depends how old the box of wax is that was gifted to you.

Enjoy the hunt.

Thank you for your welcome.

My friend works in a specialty chemical distributor. They sell raw ingredients by the truckload to different industries, among which personnal care, food and beverage, pharmaceutical... I have no idea how old is this wax. The brand is "Canamerica". It only says on the bags:
"Soy Stearine"

"Ingredients: 100% hydrogenated soyabean oil".

"Keep at 20ºC to 25ºC temperature"

I think it's what Ecosoy or Golden Brand would use as a primary ingredient to develop their products. I suppose they'd order this from a chemical grocer such as the company where my friend works and formulate their waxes with additives to make it usable by chandlers and decline it in different qualities for different end-products (melts, pillars, votives and so on). That's my theory anyway. I came to think that because in some threads, chandlers stated that soy wax came a long way since the early days in the early 90s when they started using it in terms of results, the major problem solved being rough tops, cauliflower tops, polymorphism... So basically, I have so much of this stuff and felt I could formulate my own usable wax. Quite the challenge I must say.

Edited by Ayla
* edited to correct typos and grammar
  • Like 1