Any suggestions on a wick?

Good morning,

I ordered some really cute 2 oz jars to test to add to my favor line. I am not really pleased on the wicks. The recommended wick from Aztec was a premier 715 but it said it was not good for Soy. I used an Eco 1 3" that I have for my other small candles. It needs to be 3" as the jar is tall.  This was after about an hour and 20 minutes. I know I need to probably go smaller but that puts me more in the votive size and they are usually only 1" long. Any suggestions? The jar is super cute though so I really want to make it work.

Thanks,

Karen in MA

IMG_5591.jpg

IMG_5593.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

• Like 1

Yes you will be in the votive size.  I've been doing small ones but using the cd 3 and/or a cd 4.

I don't know much about the eco's at all as I never cared for them....just too sooty for me.

By looking at pictures, yes, you sure do need a smaller wick that is for sure.

They are cutie patootie jars!  Hopefully you can find your wick size.  Good luck!

Trappeur

Now that's a meltpool 🙃

Try a LX 14, it's my go to in votives with soy and they don't generally get to hot and they come in the longer length - grab some smaller ones also if you decide to try them 

I don't care for LX at all in containers but for some reason they work in votive containers really really well 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Have you tried eco2? Eco 1 might make enough heat to melt, but not be big enough to suck up the melted 444 fast enough.

This wick is an eco 1.  I am going to order some CD wicks as Trappeur suggested.

Karen in MA

9 hours ago, kfintoni said:

This wick is an eco 1.  I am going to order some CD wicks as Trappeur suggested.

Karen in MA

I have far worse problems with cd in 444 -  the cd can't draw up enough wax as the flame melts the candle. I do side by side tests in my containers with cd and eco. Cd can't keep up, not even close.  

Wicking small enough for a wick to slow the burn completely compromises any possibility of throw. 

With a tiny container, you may end up needing to add something to further harden the wax so that your wick can do its job. 

• Like 1

That is the same size container or really close as the mini masons.  I used an LX 12  with C3 wax and I add USA to my wax.  They burned nicely without a hot jar.  I've only tested a few lighter scents so I'm sure some will require the LX 14.   I don't use these wicks in any other application but @moonshine suggested them in that other thread and Voila! 

10 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

That is the same size container or really close as the mini masons.  I used an LX 12  with C3 wax and I add USA to my wax.  They burned nicely without a hot jar.  I've only tested a few lighter scents so I'm sure some will require the LX 14.   I don't use these wicks in any other application but @moonshine suggested them in that other thread and Voila! 

That USA really can help harden soy wax to make more wicks burn well. Small jars are the most challenging to balance the burn with consumption.

11 hours ago, kfintoni said:

Karen in MA

Kf, if you didn't order any wicks I can put some in the mail tomorrow.  I have the cd 3 and cd 4  and I might have some LX 14 as Moonshine stated as I don't use them.  Just let me know and pm me your address...no problem at all.  I don't think I would even do the cd 4.  I think too big.

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

That USA really can help harden soy wax to make more wicks burn well. Small jars are the most challenging to balance the burn with consumption.

I'm finding out that is true TTayle.  I'll get some ordered from Flaming tomorrow.  And with that little jar those shoulder on it trap in the heat and I have found makes the jar real hot.

Trappeur

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

How is "USA" listed?  I'm having problems finding it when searching various candle supply sites.

GoldieMN

3 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

How is "USA" listed?  I'm having problems finding it when searching various candle supply sites.

GoldieMN

It is very difficult to find. Look up universal soy additive. American soy organics has one version as does the candlemakers store.

I’ve tried to see if glyceryl monostearate is the same thing but I’m not convinced.

On 1/28/2018 at 12:29 PM, Trappeur said:

Kf, if you didn't order any wicks I can put some in the mail tomorrow.  I have the cd 3 and cd 4  and I might have some LX 14 as Moonshine stated as I don't use them.  Just let me know and pm me your address...no problem at all.  I don't think I would even do the cd 4.  I think too big.

I'm finding out that is true TTayle.  I'll get some ordered from Flaming tomorrow.  And with that little jar those shoulder on it trap in the heat and I have found makes the jar real hot.

Trappeur

Sorry I am just seeing this. Trappeur thank you for the offer but I already ordered some and they arrived yesterday. I am going to try one today and then see how it goes.

Karen in MA

On something that tiny, I think you really need a votive wax. Or at least manipulate that container wax with stearic and/or universal soy additive and/or beeswax and/or paraffin with a higher melt point, for instance, to make it perform like a votive wax. Otherwise you will continue to fight a losing battle between melt pool and throw.

The smaller the wick, the less it can draw up melted wax as fuel to feed the flame. The flame creates so much heat that it has no choice but to melt wax. Hardening the wax helps control the heat/melt/flame circle in your favor. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/28/2018 at 11:50 AM, TallTayl said:

Look up universal soy additive. American soy organics has one version as does the candlemakers store

@TallTayl Ah, here's the answer to my question on another thread about sourcing universal soy additive. Are the two versions similar enough to be interchangeable in your opinion?

2 minutes ago, Linda P said:

@TallTayl Ah, here's the answer to my question on another thread about sourcing universal soy additive. Are the two versions similar enough to be interchangeable in your opinion?

I use the one from the candle makers store. @moonshine has both and finds them to be different from one another. They were not interchangeable in the Midwest soy wax from ASO.