Cricut cutting machines

Jeana

I've been researching Cricut cutters for labels. Does anyone here use them for their product labels? I'm wondering how long it would take to cut around 300 labels if there were about 4-6 on each sheet. Also, do you have to buy the monthly fee for the design program to use the cutter? 

I haven't used that brand but have used/owned a Cameo. The sound annoys the crap out of me and both make the irritating sounds. It's not a real quick process. Personally I wouldn't suggest it for a large run since imo It's too time consuming. For personal gifts to add that personal touch would be worth it more. 

I've used one to make iron on labels (monogram) for weddings.  It's time consuming but looks lovely on a linen bag.  I've recently got a new logo and am changing my packaging up so  I am working on using it for my labels. With my design I should be able to get 12-18 on a sheet.  You don't have to pay a monthly fee.  The only thing that generally has to be purchased are any designs (of which there are a lot), if you so choose.  My daughter makes t-shirts for the kids for special holidays and purchases designs.

It's been forever since I've busted out with my Cricuit, but I remember it being sloooooow, fine for a few embellishments or lettering for a scrapbook page, but I can't imagine trying to do sheets and sheets of labels. But my machine is pretty old, maybe the newer ones are better. I always just used the cartridges with mine, but again, it's been a while.

We have a Portrait...

I use it mainly for making black and white warning labels when we have smaller runs, 50-100 circular labels. I get whole sheets from onlinelabels.com

It comes down to a few things... Are you printing on inkjet? Price of ink will be much more expensive for 300 big labels than taking it to a printer. But it's great if you are only doing a personalized candle for someone and only need 10 stickers.

The machine itself is great, the software that comes with it is complete crap. It's extremely confusing and not at all straightforward. It would probably be a nightmare if you are not a 'trial and error' person.

The software for Cricut might be better than the Cameo / Portrait, I haven't tried it.

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Those machines are great - but insanely slow. I can't imagine using them for production of any real volume. 

I've been doing 300-900 soap labels at a time by hand with a slicer for years now. It has to be faster than by hand right? Maybe it isn't LOL. But I want to get more creative with my soap labels now. Since I have many different accounts, and they change their products all the time, I can't see buying labels from a printer. I can see getting stuck with a lot of extras. Not sure how to handle this. 

Edited by Jeana

10 hours ago, Sarah S said:

It's been forever since I've busted out with my Cricuit, but I remember it being sloooooow, fine for a few embellishments or lettering for a scrapbook page, but I can't imagine trying to do sheets and sheets of labels. But my machine is pretty old, maybe the newer ones are better. I always just used the cartridges with mine, but again, it's been a while.

From what I'm seeing, the newest model is 2x faster than the last model made. Can you cut more than one sheet at a time? I'm just wanting to do different types of cigar band label styles for soap, nothing intricate. They don't have cartridges its all online now. I've never seen one at work in person, so I still don't get exactly everything works 

2 hours ago, Jeana said:

I've been doing 300-900 soap labels at a time by hand with a slicer for years now. It has to be faster than by hand right? Maybe it isn't LOL. But I want to get more creative with my soap labels now. Since I have many different accounts, and they change their products all the time, I can't see buying labels from a printer. I can see getting stuck with a lot of extras. Not sure how to handle this. 

I honestly think it would be quicker by hand. What about a cigar band and print a rectangle label to attach to the band? You could even attach to the seam for a smooth look. I’d suggest watching a few video tutorials on the machines perhaps on YouTube. It really is a slow process cutting and on top of that you have to load the paper and remove it off the cutting mat. The software isn’t as easy as people think for either of your not use to designing either. There is fur sure a learning curve with these machines. It would be faster to print on card stock and use a hand held paper punch. You can only do one page at a time on the cutters. 

• Thanks 1

Another option is to buy multiple machines which still has the time to load and remove the finished product. Cost and production time I don’t see it being favorable as others mentioned in this application. Another thought is a die cutter? I don’t have much knowledge on them but that’s an alternative option. 

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I had the same suggestion in mind - cut a normal band and seal with a rectangle label. 

just broke down and bought a primera printer (at moonshine's urging). Never have to worry about lining up labels and cutting ever again. 

I'm going to try online labels again. I have a different printer now so maybe I'll get lucky with alignment this time. They have a couple nice band labels I haven't seen before like in the pic I posted. They are still a little expensive when you add up hundreds of them, and something else to make sure I have in stock. 

The  printer you got sounds very interesting. Which model did you get. They look very pricey, but I have to move toward something like this soon I'm sure. I get really tired of DIY everything. 

3 hours ago, Barefootgirl said:

Another option is to buy multiple machines which still has the time to load and remove the finished product. Cost and production time I don’t see it being favorable as others mentioned in this application. Another thought is a die cutter? I don’t have much knowledge on them but that’s an alternative option. 

Gosh one would be pushing it for me right now, lol. I guess I need to look in another direction. 

8 minutes ago, Jeana said:

Gosh one would be pushing it for me right now, lol. I guess I need to look in another direction. 

Maybe try to reach out to any local crafty friends who owns one and spend a afternoon over there and give it a whirl. Hands on is the best way to see if it actually works like you vision it will. Honestly I agree with others it's not a good plan for such a large run. I do think it's best to try another method as well.  But, if your anything like me I'm stubborn and never will shake the thought that it will indeed work like I envisioned...so I have to get my hands in there and see for myself. 

2 hours ago, Barefootgirl said:

Maybe try to reach out to any local crafty friends who owns one and spend a afternoon over there and give it a whirl. Hands on is the best way to see if it actually works like you vision it will. Honestly I agree with others it's not a good plan for such a large run. I do think it's best to try another method as well.  But, if your anything like me I'm stubborn and never will shake the thought that it will indeed work like I envisioned...so I have to get my hands in there and see for myself. 

Unfortunately I don’t have any friends who are crafty. But I may try to find some “how to” classes in my area. I would like to see it work, I’m still curious. I guess I am a little like you :)

I chose the lx500. It is a little slow compared to my laser, but so much more accurate and reliable. 

They are always available on ebay, and have terrific resale value. I resisted for 10 years and am kicking myself for it.

my laser printer does not always line up perfectly any more as it is quite old. I can't give it up since no others will print on my glossy stock well enough. The minor alignment use to bother me, but nobody else even noticed.

On January 25, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Jeana said:

This is something that would be nice to be able to do. I was thinking the Cricut would be good for this. Is there another way to make a modified type of cigar band?

product-labeling-dos-donts.JPG

The Cricuit could cut those, sure, but hundreds....gosh, I don't even want to think about how many hours of your life that would waste. I'd second the suggestions of a cigar band with a rectangular label over it. I use both Maestro, the Onlinelables program, and the Avery program and I'm quite happy with them. I can do a dozen of one scent, dozen of another easily, or whip out a couple hundred warning labels at one time if I want. Sometimes I have alignment issues but that's outweighed by the overall convenience for me.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 6:47 AM, TallTayl said:

I chose the lx500. It is a little slow compared to my laser, but so much more accurate and reliable. 

They are always available on ebay, and have terrific resale value. I resisted for 10 years and am kicking myself for it.

my laser printer does not always line up perfectly any more as it is quite old. I can't give it up since no others will print on my glossy stock well enough. The minor alignment use to bother me, but nobody else even noticed.

Ok, thank you. Ill look at that. 

2 hours ago, Sarah S said:

The Cricuit could cut those, sure, but hundreds....gosh, I don't even want to think about how many hours of your life that would waste. I'd second the suggestions of a cigar band with a rectangular label over it. I use both Maestro, the Onlinelables program, and the Avery program and I'm quite happy with them. I can do a dozen of one scent, dozen of another easily, or whip out a couple hundred warning labels at one time if I want. Sometimes I have alignment issues but that's outweighed by the overall convenience for me.

I'm going to try Maestro/Onlinelabels again. I saw they have extensive info for lining up printers now. I'm crossing my fingers it works this time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2018 at 9:16 PM, TallTayl said:

I had the same suggestion in mind - cut a normal band and seal with a rectangle label. 

just broke down and bought a primera printer (at moonshine's urging). Never have to worry about lining up labels and cutting ever again. 

I also have a Primera printer, I have the LX 900. It was a bit of sticker shock but i do not regret it at all. I love not having to deal with printer drift and the ink last forever, I have run my ink all the way down to 1% left before changing them.

Karen in MA

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, kfintoni said:

I also have a Primera printer, I have the LX 900. It was a bit of sticker shock but i do not regret it at all. I love not having to deal with printer drift and the ink last forever, I have run my ink all the way down to 1% left before changing them.

Karen in MA

So I looked this up and its around $3000. Wow, I wish I could get one of those. Maybe one day :( It looks like it does a great job. You can post some videos to make us jealous, LOL. 

Okay, my daughter wanted to try using the two Cricut's we have to print labels as I finally got a logo.  I worked and we did about 200 labels.  We printed them on my laser jet on 8x11 gloss label paper from Online Labels.  The drawback it there is a lot of waste on the paper.  Could only get 8 labels on a sheet.  She designed an oval label 2.5 x 1.75.   I have been using Avery ovals for years and just struggled getting them lined up.  Also, as others stated it's timely but having two going made it faster.