IGI4625 Pre-blend not drying smoothly (mottling?)

Hey all!

So I grabbed some IGI 4625 as some sites said it was a tart/votive/pillar blend. Figured it would be good for both tarts and pillars and needed no additives, that's why I chose it. Well, my tarts are not drying smoothly, they've got the rustic look like they're dusted with white powder, and the tops are white and bumpy. It looks like a massive amount of air rising to the top, but I pour very slow/smoothly only an inch or 2 above the container (to avoid chance of bubbles) and am keeping them in a steadily controlled temp room around 68 degrees. Don't think I put too much fragrance in (less than a TBSP for 8oz). Is this normal for this blend for tarts? Will my pillars look like this too? I wanted a smooth finish, 4625 is supposed to be "smooth, opaque" and non-mottling. I feel like somethings gotta be wrong in what I'm doing if that's the description. Pic attached -- I expected it to look more like the tart in the pink cup. Pour temp is supposed to be 175-185. Since the max temp for the containers is 180, I pour near 175.

Some people say they mix this with their container blend, but I wouldn't know how much. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Or, how much container blend to add (and what kind)?

Lastly, if I decided to just buy some more wax -- any paraffin recommendations for nice smooth tarts? Preferably pre-blended so no additives are necessary, and good scent throw? I guess what I'm looking for is something that's a preblend that would work in both tarts and containers, if that exists, or best/easiest way to achieve that without buying many different types of wax (I'm on a tight budget). Willing to buy 1 more kind of wax right now if need be =)

Thanks all!

20180115_183118.jpg

I've never thought of 4625 as a tart or votive wax. What container blend do you have? I mix my 4625 with 4794 for most of my tarts. 4794 is a votive blend wax, but you can use it as a stand along tart wax, or mix it at a 50/50 mix and work from there. Or just mix you 4625 with the container blend you have on hand starting at 50/50 and tweak as needed. 

Just now, Flicker said:

I'd about eat my shorts if that is 4625. 4625 should have no mottle. That looks more like one of the mottle waxes or possibly even the IGI 1343 straight paraffin. Who did you order from? Was it a full case? Or just a slab?

My 4625 mottles quite often. And it varies. I get it from several suppliers but my main supplier was Peak - Now it just depends on where I can get it with the cheapest shipping at the time. 

1 minute ago, Jcandleattic said:

My 4625 mottles quite often. And it varies. I get it from several suppliers but my main supplier was Peak - Now it just depends on where I can get it with the cheapest shipping at the time. 

I am shocked by this. The worst I've ever seen in the 17 years I worked for Bitter Creek and the 21 years I used it as a customer was a thumbnailing. I never once saw a complete mottle in that wax. We got ours from the Oshkosh WI location though, and if yours were coming from Baytown or etc. it may have varied. A blended wax should not be doing that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flicker said:

I am shocked by this. The worst I've ever seen in the 17 years I worked for Bitter Creek and the 21 years I used it as a customer was a thumbnailing. I never once saw a complete mottle in that wax. We got ours from the Oshkosh WI location though, and if yours were coming from Baytown or etc. it may have varied. A blended wax should not be doing that.

It's the first wax I started with over 20 years ago, and although it doesn't do it consistently, it does do it. I think a LOT of it depends on the fragrance oils used. And I did get some from Bittercreek back then too, and yes, it happened with that wax as well. 

I have used 4625 for years for votives & pillars & never had it mottle.  Only thing I had years ago was the finger nailing and snow flaking but once I added stearic & vybar to it never happened again.  Always have smooth tops after second pour.  I pour at 180-185 and use 6-8 %  fragrance oil, depending on oil. I do mix it 50/50 with 4786 for melts. 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, Jcandleattic said:

It's the first wax I started with over 20 years ago, and although it doesn't do it consistently, it does do it. I think a LOT of it depends on the fragrance oils used. And I did get some from Bittercreek back then too, and yes, it happened with that wax as well. 

I am shocked to hear this. I've used that wax since 1999, and the worst I've ever experienced is fingernailing. Mine always came from BCN and I never had a report of it doing more than fingernailing between 2000 and 2016. It did it with all scents when it did when we tested it or not at all.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Also had this happen a couple of weeks ago upon ordering from VA candle supply.  I knew something was off even seeing it as it had white snowflake type patches throughout the slabs.  When I chiseled into it, it seemed very powdery and the inside looked like a wet diaper stuffing.  Once the tarts set up, it looked like your photo and it leaked beyond belief in my molds even after waiting for settling oil prior to pouring. Never in the years using this wax has it done this and I know what to expect with heavy oils vs non etc.  Disappointing and a waste.  I too thought it was the wrong wax, but supplier confirmed it was 4625 and stated it was within specs with no other customer complaints of course.  

Edit to add: VA candle did refund me which they stated they don't usually do, great customer service on their part even though they aren't the manufacturer.

Edited by lovelyscents

I hear that and have been working with it several years now also and didnt think I would ever have to worry...until now.  I have attached my receipt which they indeed state is 4625.  Also attached photos of a piece chopped from it and on the slab itself, also the outcome of the tarts right before I popped them out.  Does this happen to it if not stored properly or maybe the additives in it?

Untitled.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Flicker said:

NM you don't have a full case. Honestly I'd call the supplier, because that does not even look like 4625 to me.

I thought the same as soon as I took it out of the shipping box.  I did contact the supplier and they stated the 4625 is within specs and no other complaints.  I pretty much was nice but firm with them that there's always a first to have a bad batch and it's me.  They stated they don't usually refund, but they did for me.  These slabs have been sitting and I do not have use for them.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 2:08 PM, lovelyscents said:

I thought the same as soon as I took it out of the shipping box.  I did contact the supplier and they stated the 4625 is within specs and no other complaints.  I pretty much was nice but firm with them that there's always a first to have a bad batch and it's me.  They stated they don't usually refund, but they did for me.  These slabs have been sitting and I do not have use for them.

I use 4625 & never had this issue either .Sorry your having issues with the wax.

am glad the company is at least refunding you . I blend mine with 4630 for melts.

I really want to try JC's blend ,sounds interesting .I see she post her tart blend is 4625& 4794 . I know you & I are always wanting to experiment with every blend we can get our hands on . 

I recently ordered more CW 129 ,as I always keep this one on hand for many fragrances.Kind of a must have wax for me kwim.

I am going to order some 4794 to blend with the 4625 & see what results I get for melts.

JC has many more years into this than I ,so going to give her blend a try . I am happy with the ones I use ,just like trying different blends ..

lol...I  think it has become a habit to order many different waxes to blend ,does get to be a  expensive habit thou ..

Kat