What are you using to scent your car?

Darbla

Meaning the item you add FO to, but I'd also be curious what scent you like in your cars.  Do you use an ornament that you dab some FO on every now and then?  Or a little cloth sachet bag?  A little pot or jar of some type that you put some kind of stuffing in and add drops of FO?  Is there anything you can make that attaches to vents?  I've seen little balsa wood cutouts with FO dribbled on them also used as car scenters.  I'm looking for ideas of something simple to use or make.

Thanks, guys!

image.jpeg.218595a5414b7f7e945ace2668391da8.jpeg

I hang an aroma bead ornament from my mirror. 

I've never had a problem with it melting, and it gets pretty hot in MD in the summer.

Right now the fragrance is Havana Nights from RE, but it's really faded so I need to make something new soon! I love cologne/perfume types for my air fresheners. This one was strong for a solid 3 months.

I also keep a little spray bottle of room spray in there to spray down my seats if needed. I have a lengthy commute home in sweaty spandex, so it can get pretty funky pretty fast!

• Like 1

SarahS, how is that made?  It looks like a block of wax but you said aroma beads so I'm guessing wax isn't it.  I've used the corn cob in organza bags and it didn't last any time before it faded to nothing so I'm casting about for other ideas.

After this thread I may rethink. I love my car. Love it, and try to keep it clean, so never really thought about it or wanted anything "cluttering" it up, however, a scent I love in the car wouldn't be a bad thing... 

I'm thinking of getting the cardstock type cork-board air freshener stuff, and soaking in a DPG-FO mixture to put somewhere in my car. I know several years ago these air fresheners were very popular and I'm sure I've got the saved information somewhere... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbla said:

SarahS, how is that made?  It looks like a block of wax but you said aroma beads so I'm guessing wax isn't it.  I've used the corn cob in organza bags and it didn't last any time before it faded to nothing so I'm casting about for other ideas.

It's super easy! I got aroma beads, did the soak them in FO thing, along with some mica for shimmery color. When they were nice and dry, I poured them into a cookie cutter on a piece of foil on a cookie sheet, and baked it in the oven at 350 for about 5-10 minutes, until all the beads are melted and fused together. Pull it out, push it out of the cutter and bam! You got yourself a smelly ornament!

I think I did 30% FO to the weight of the beads, which sounds like a lot, but the beads are super light and you don't need a lot to make a big ornament. I put it all in a glass jar to mix, and it took a couple days to absorb. I know NG and BC have really good detailed instructions for these.

@Jcandleattic, I purchased some air freshener blanks from BC. C&S has them also I believe. I haven't done anything with them yet, so I can't give an opinion on how well they work, sorry! BC has some good ideas for projects with them, and it's on my list to play around with them, eventually!

Edited by Sarah S
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

@Jcandleattic, I purchased some air freshener blanks from BC. C&S has them also I believe. I haven't done anything with them yet, so I can't give an opinion on how well they work, sorry! BC has some good ideas for projects with them, and it's on my list to play around with them, eventually!

YES - now I remember, it was from both those suppliers I got the information. I also got a printout from C&S when I was at the IGCA conference back in 2004 that has some information on it as well.. 

• 4 months later...

This is what BC gives for instructions:

https://cart.candlesupply.com/Air-Freshener-Blanks-Supplies-c-630.html

5 Easy Steps to a Basic Air Freshener

• Brush or spray shape with water diluted food color, soap dye, or poster paint and allow it to dry thoroughly. (This is optional)
  • Apply fragrance by painting on with an inexpensive paint brush or using a pipette to drizzle it on. We don't recommend dunking or soaking, since over saturating the material with fragrance results in greasy fresheners and will require blotting, which wastes fragrance oil!
  • Punch a hole at the top with a small METAL office-type paper punch. Plastic scrapbook punches may break, due to the thickness of the material.
  • Cut a piece of string, elastic, thread, yarn, raffia or ribbon to the desired length, and thread it through hole at top, knotting ends securely.
  • Package completed air freshener by putting it in a flat cello bag, fold down the top, and staple or tape it closed. You can also use a label to seal it, or staple a fold-over header card or a business card to the top of the bag.

I kind of like what Sarah S said about spraying seats.  I keep towels over my seats so I'd be spraying the towels, which is even better.  And maybe when my truck warms up during the day, the scent will diffuse in the heat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried the card stock from BC. It worked well, I scented it with the odor eliminator scent. It not only took out any odor's I didn't want, but left it with a nice clean scent. I usually don't use car air freshener's in my car, but, you just gave me an idea. I have a friend who loved the corn cob air freshener, I think I will use him as a tester to see if he likes the card stock better, or the corn cob. 

I can't wait to hear which he liked better!

• Like 1