CAN I STORE FRAGRANCE OILS IN THIS?

jackbenimble

Hello all and Happy New Year! I want to know if this type of container is ok to store fragrance oils in? I’d like to start mixing large batches of my FO blends and these look perfect but not sure if this type of plastic is ok for FO. 

It’s made of HDPE (High Density Polyethylene)

Thanks for any help/ advice you have. 

https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10748/Jugs/F-Style-Jugs-1-Gallon-White

31 minutes ago, kdmorgan said:

Bitter Creek sells HDPE bottles and state in the description that they are the same bottles they use for their fragrance oils so they should work fine.

Yeah I saw them but the containers I’m looking at in the link are gallon size jugs. The ones at BC only go up to 16oz but thanks for the response. 

I have those. They are rather thin. You "can" use them. Hdpe will work. Just beware that some fragrances will cause the bottle to degrade and suck in the sides, just like cylinder bottles. Over time they can begin to leak. Mixing enough for a few months should be ok. Mixing enough for a few years might be another story.

I like that it's BPA free. I say go for it. I agree short term as in months would probably work out just fine. I bought one of their carboy's to store my distilled water in my fridge. Had it now for a couple of years and love it. Its harder and stronger than it looked in the website pics.

As a matter of fact I am going to start buying more carboys to hold master batches of my soaping oils. I like the ones with the handles and the spouts so they will be very convenient.

Some of the big chain water brands use PET. Might be worth trying out a "free" PET material along side the hdpe to see if one has benefits over the other. 

CS sends out larger sizes of FO in thicker hdpe containers that look like detergent bottles. 

IMG_1374.JPGIMG_1373.JPGIMG_1375.JPG

• Like 1

I like that first pic, the one with the built in handle as part of the bottle. I've been saving Arizona tea plastic gallon bottles. Been mixing my lye in it for a year now and its pretty strong. No problems so far.

I am thinking of saving my cat's plastic 20 lb plastic bottle of cat litter. Just emptied one and thinking I am gonna try using it for master batching soaping oils. It's handle is similar to that first pic, built into the bottle. I have been master batching in empty 50 lb oil pails I saved from Soapers Choice. But a smaller handles bottle might be more handy. Then I can start saving more it it works and make several batches to hold when I need them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

I am thinking of saving my cat's plastic 20 lb plastic bottle of cat litter. Just emptied one and thinking I am gonna try using it for master batching soaping oils. It's handle is similar to that first pic, built into the bottle. I have been master batching in empty 50 lb oil pails I saved from Soapers Choice. But a smaller handles bottle might be more handy. Then I can start saving more it it works and make several batches to hold when I need them.

That's great idea!! I am totally going to do this!

I have been using one of BB's large microwaveable bags to masterbatch my oils, but I go through it pretty fast. And the small opening is a PITA to pour giant tubs of oils into, even with a funnel. Thanks Candybee!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh my gosh, it took me forever to find this thread again! Lol!

I’ve been meaning to put this up for weeks!810BE7E1-5FEE-48F2-9C22-49979F147AFD.thumb.jpeg.5446f2c78c95c35f9ff1f18a70c73f81.jpeg

That’s 18lbs of oil in the cleaned out cat litter container. 

Thank you @Candybee, that was a great idea!!!!!

It was really easy to pour my oils in the wide mouth. 

And added bonus, I can now skip arm day at the gym on the weeks I do my soaping! 💪💪🤣

• Like 2

THIS!!! I still have a couple of saved cat little containers saved up to start storing batch oils. Saving them for when I get back to soaping.

I do soaping demos and the 20 lb bottle would be extremely portable and much easier to pour without spilling. I can now take my batch oils to my markets and shows I do soap demos at. Before i have been using a large bucket type container and scooping the oils out. Very messy, this cat little container with the wide spout will be so much more convenient! Plus I will also use it at home for batching a days worth of soaping oils.