"Smoking" melts?

RoxWix

Hi all - testing some tarts and I saw what looked like steam or white "smoke" coming from the tealight burner (from Yank** - I got it on sale for $5 to test my melts) I was using. The wax is C3 and the FO was Strawberry from C and S. What is this?

In the same burner, I was testing an Apple Pie tart, and got this weird discoloration in the exact same spot over and over after I tried "scooping" it out. This only happened with the Apple Pie. Maybe cinnamon in it burning off?

IMG_20180104_150626.jpg

IMG_20180104_155906.jpg

Is it cold in the room where you have the melter? My house is cold, and sometimes I'll get steam when I pour candles from the hot wax meeting the cold air. I've not had that happen with a melter yet, but if the melter gets really hot it could be possible. Along the same lines, if the melter is distributing heat unevenly, you may have one spot that is getting really hot and discoloring your wax.

I get that "smoke" whenever I've 

used a tea light type melter . I don't 

care for those type of meltera at 

all. I just use my Scentsy one 

and a Glade hotplate . Not sure 

what causes that smoke . Maybe 

it get too hot from the direct flame 

under the dish ?  Btw this happened no matter if it was cold 

or  hot outdoors . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

I get that "smoke" whenever I've 

used a tea light type melter . I don't 

care for those type of meltera at 

all. I just use my Scentsy one 

and a Glade hotplate . Not sure 

what causes that smoke . Maybe 

it get too hot from the direct flame 

under the dish ?  Btw this happened no matter if it was cold 

or  hot outdoors . 

Moonstar - do you remember what type of wax was in the melts that did this? or if it was a particular scent? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RoxWix said:

Moonstar - do you remember what type of wax was in the melts that did this? or if it was a particular scent? 

All scents especially Christmas tree and didn't matter if it was 

all soy or parasoy. Some might 

have other experiences but 

I didn't care for that type of melter 

7 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

All scents especially Christmas tree and didn't matter if it was 

all soy or parasoy. Some might 

have other experiences but 

I didn't care for that type of melter 

Thank you for the information! It makes me feel better that it is not just me :)

• Haha 1

We're thenscents from any specific supplier(s)? 

I get smoking when in melted wax with brambleberry passionfruit Rose. That scent causes seizing in cold process soap, which tells me it is loaded with DPG. DPG will smoke when hot. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I get smoking when in melted wax with brambleberry passionfruit Rose. That scent causes seizing in cold process soap, which tells me it is loaded with DPG. DPG will smoke when hot. 

I experimented with it yesterday. The Hot Apple Pie from Candlewic and the Strawberry from Candles and Supplies both smoked in the tealight burner when I only had one cube in it. When I added an additional cube, it stopped. I think the melt pool was too low, therefore getting too hot. ?? When I added more wax, I didn't see it anymore. I did try to get a temp reading on it, and it didn't get past 145F.

I didn't see the "smoking" issue in the exact same scents on my electric plate warmer, so it's gotta be the tealight burner with minimal wax combo. 

• Thanks 1

Tealight warmers can get pretty hot depending on:

1) type of wax in the tea light. Soy with a bigger wick throws more heat than a paraffin with a teensy wick for instance. 

2) the distance from the lite to the plate above. Some have very little distance, while others are more generous. 

On January 6, 2018 at 11:17 AM, TallTayl said:

I had no idea DPG behaved that way!

Thank you, I learned something cool today! 😃