How would you reorganize the forums?

TallTayl

Looking forward to the new year, it's a good time to clean up areas that cause trouble.

how would you reorganize the forums?

any new sections or features that might be useful?

any sections to nix altogether?

speak now or forever suffer in silence, lol.  Just kidding. It's always a work in progress as forums evolve. 

I think it's pretty well organized. There are a few areas that seem to see a lot less action than others, maybe consider making them sub-forums? Like for example, the recipes section doesn't get many posts at all, I'd consider sticking that in the Learning Center section of the board. And the gel candles, maybe that could be a sub-forum in the general candle making area? I'm just thinking that less topic areas to choose from might help people find the right topic to post their questions under, thereby getting a better response rate. 

Maybe a giant banner across the top to point out the search function. 😂

I think it would be fun to have a couple challenges this year in the slower months, something like a "one FO, 10 blends", or "taste the rainbow" in soap or wax... I've got all kinds of goofy ideas. 😁

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, kdmorgan said:

It would be nice if the ads that are on the site to generate income (AdChoices banner, etc) could open in a new tab instead of taking me to a different site and away from Craftserver.

I will look gain for a setting. That bugs me too on this and other sites with ads.

i wish we didn't need them at all... especially since the algorithms change and continually lower the revenue generated. I have a few ideas but need to hash out details with the mod team first. 

Good idea! Thank you. Keep them coming please xoxo 

On 1/5/2018 at 10:10 AM, kdmorgan said:

It would be nice if the ads that are on the site to generate income (AdChoices banner, etc) could open in a new tab instead of taking me to a different site and away from Craftserver.

Found out why it does not allow usnto open in new windows. It is a violation of their terms of use. 

IMG_1383.PNG

20 minutes ago, iansmommaya said:

Can you ask for money from the members to support the forum? I would kick down.

I have to run a few things past the mod team. I have a few ideas to relieve us of ads altogether, but we will need to work out details.  Part of my plan is to tighten up security and close viewing and posting to members (no more guests). 

There are sponsorships in the top tabs which help defray the operating costs. Those help a good deal to defray the monthly and annual $ requirements of the forum at this current level. I try to manage the back end storage to keep from being forced into the next service tier, which doubles the cost.... (why pictures must be trimmed for size, for instance). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I have to run a few things past the mod team. I have a few ideas to relieve us of ads altogether, but we will need to work out details.  Part of my plan is to tighten up security and close viewing and posting to members (no more guests). 

There are sponsorships in the top tabs which help defray the operating costs. Those help a good deal to defray the monthly and annual $ requirements of the forum at this current level. I try to manage the back end storage to keep from being forced into the next service tier, which doubles the cost.... (why pictures must be trimmed for size, for instance). 

I had no idea! <3

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know about how many of us sponsor craft Server? I am very very happy to pay for the Gold membership. I appreaciate so much the info and convience of this site. I wonder how many users know about that? I mean for me, that is a very small amount for the knowledge and information I have received on here. I would honestly be lost without it! Not that you can't find info on the net but seems like so much is crap and not true. I feel Craftservers members are mostly the best of the best and I have so much respect for them. I mean it's not like some exercise site..or cooking site.. we have people buy our products that light fires in their homes and that is a very BIG deal. I appreaciate the info extremely a lot for the very small donation I pay. Personally, I would think every  member would want to help and make this the best it can be! Just my .2 cents work. Thank you all for your hard work to make it happen.,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...