Lightweight, scent-free (if possible) oil for after-shower?

Darbla

Kitchen oils are OK, but everything I can think of seems kind of heavy so I know I'm missing some.  I looked into grapeseed and then saw somewhere state that it is somewhat astringent, and that scared me off from using it all over for sealing in moisture after toweling off.  Suggestions?  I'm hoping to find something unscented that I can mix in a dab of my plethora of skin-safe FOs.

All those are ones I was counting as too heavy!  I did find somewhere recommending avocado oil, and it had this beautiful sounding EO blend to add to it:

1 drop Lavender Essential Oil

1 drop Jasmine Essence

1 drop Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood Essential Oil

1 drop German Chamomile Essential Oil

1 drop Bergamot Essential Oil

1 drop Geranium Essential Oil

1 ounce carrier oil (we used avocado oil)

1 ounce dropper bottle

https://www.recipeswithessentialoils.com/moisturizing-after-shower-body-oil/

• Like 1

That sounds like a lovely scent blend. 

If applying after a shower, you can towel off lightly to ensure not much is left behind.

of those in the list, avocado seems the "heaviest" to me. And it is still a light feeling, decent shelf life oil.

jojoba I use all over-face, hands, hair, you name it. It has the longest shelf life and is closest to human sebum. Just use a teeny tiny amount. 

• Like 2

I just found something on apricot kernel oil that sounds appealing so I'll try to find more info on that.  Jojoba I use on my face and in my hair since as you also noted it's said to be close to our own sebum.  I have argan but it's kind of expensive so I thought I'd do a little research into some others.  Will probably use up this argan, though, since I've had it a while, and keep notes for future reference on whatever I dig up now.

Edited by Darbla

FCO feels really light to me, but if that's a no-go for you, can I suggest rice bran oil? I find that is a nice light oil with no odor. Another one I like is the humble soybean oil, to me it feels very silky. 

I usually blend my oils to get the qualities I'm looking for, just like we do with soap recipes. 

I've only very briefly dabbled in bath and body products, but it has been an interest for years so I've been taking notes from all over the place.

Apricot kernel oil - non-greasy, fast absorbing, can have a slightly nutty scent, emollient/sealant.

Peach kernel oil - similar to apricot kernel oil.

Jojoba - simulates natural sebum, readily absorbed into skin, can carry active ingredients into the skin.

Macadamia oil - fatty acid profile similar to human sebum, doesn't go rancid as easily as some other oils, may trigger nut allergies.

Olive squalane - light, non-greasy, rapidly absorbed, creates moisture barrier, adds suppleness.

Sunflower oil - emollient, sealant, alternative to olive oil.

Meadowfoam seed oil - good barrier formation, good at locking fragrances on the skin, regulates absorption to prevent "drying" due to rapid absorption, softens skin

Sweet almond oil - conditions and softens.

Brazil nut oil - emollient, moisturizing, quick absorbing, can have nutty aroma.

Fractionated coconut oil - quick absorbing.

Hazelnut oil - light, penetrating, slightly astringent.

Camellia oil - highly moisturizing, penetrating, helps complexion, helps to balance moisture in dry skin, conditions, cools, anti-oxidant. Scentless and nearly colorless.

• Like 1

If your looking for something that's 

for home use I love Neutrogena

Body Oil Lught Sesame. I just love 

this oil. It's moisturizing but light

abd barely scented at all. Another 

ready to use oil I love is Avons 

Skin so Soft. I've been using it 

forever, still one of my favorites 

and  it cheap - win - win 😊

For cosmetic oils I love Camilla 

oil and avacodo & apricot oil 

Edited by Moonstar

1 hour ago, Kerven said:

I've only very briefly dabbled in bath and body products, but it has been an interest for years so I've been taking notes from all over the place.

Apricot kernel oil - non-greasy, fast absorbing, can have a slightly nutty scent, emollient/sealant.

Peach kernel oil - similar to apricot kernel oil.

Jojoba - simulates natural sebum, readily absorbed into skin, can carry active ingredients into the skin.

Macadamia oil - fatty acid profile similar to human sebum, doesn't go rancid as easily as some other oils, may trigger nut allergies.

Olive squalane - light, non-greasy, rapidly absorbed, creates moisture barrier, adds suppleness.

Sunflower oil - emollient, sealant, alternative to olive oil.

Meadowfoam seed oil - good barrier formation, good at locking fragrances on the skin, regulates absorption to prevent "drying" due to rapid absorption, softens skin

Sweet almond oil - conditions and softens.

Brazil nut oil - emollient, moisturizing, quick absorbing, can have nutty aroma.

Fractionated coconut oil - quick absorbing.

Hazelnut oil - light, penetrating, slightly astringent.

Camellia oil - highly moisturizing, penetrating, helps complexion, helps to balance moisture in dry skin, conditions, cools, anti-oxidant. Scentless and nearly colorless.

Kerven,.  thanks for posting this -- good info to have on hand :-)