Reusing plastic Clamshell molds/removing labels?

Venetti

I am making baskets for my family for Christmas full of my candles/melts/etc.

I was going to order plastic clamshell molds but I realized I had some already. Unfortunately, they have already been used. I popped out the wax and am left with 12 empty clamshell molds. 

I'm wondering if I am able to reuse these? 

If so, ANY AND ALL advice on how to get the smell out is highly appreciated. 

A few of them also seem to have residual wax left in them. 

Also, does anyone have any experience in removing permanent labels from these molds? 

thank you all again!

IMG_7634.JPG

20 hours ago, Venetti said:

I am making baskets for my family for Christmas full of my candles/melts/etc.

I was going to order plastic clamshell molds but I realized I had some already. Unfortunately, they have already been used. I popped out the wax and am left with 12 empty clamshell molds. 

I'm wondering if I am able to reuse these? 

If so, ANY AND ALL advice on how to get the smell out is highly appreciated. 

A few of them also seem to have residual wax left in them. 

Also, does anyone have any experience in removing permanent labels from these molds? 

thank you all again!

IMG_7634.JPG

Goo gone! I rip a square of paper towel, put Goo Gone on it and place the square of soaked paper towel over the label and let it sit over night. The label or any remnants should come right off no problem. 

I don't color my wax and I use a pillar wax that pops right out, so I don't have good advice for getting the wax and scent out. :-(

Edited by Lana
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much! I actually didn't have any goo gone and researched that WD-40 does the trick.

I gave it a shot and it worked extremelyyyy well at removing the permanent labels.

It was strong smelling but I'm letting them sit and the smell is dissipating.

I think I may try boiling/hot water bath-ing them to get the FO wax out. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Venetti said:

Thank you very much! I actually didn't have any goo gone and researched that WD-40 does the trick.

I gave it a shot and it worked extremelyyyy well at removing the permanent labels.

It was strong smelling but I'm letting them sit and the smell is dissipating.

I think I may try boiling/hot water bath-ing them to get the FO wax out. 

Awesome! The goo gone has a strong smell too and it dissipates after a little while. I'm sure it works faster than overnight too, but I just like leaving it overnight and peeling the labels off in the morning. Good luck! I used this method a lot when I re-branded and needed to relabel a ton of melts. It was such a pain but I wanted to change the look of everything all at once.   

Edited by Lana

Good GOLLY... (goo gone... blech) Wipe them out with some naphtha (aka: Zippo Lighter fluid). It dries quickly and won't leave any residue behind. TT's right, heat and that stuff won't get along at all... IF it's PVC naphtha might cloud it up, but it's probably not of the rare ilk of PVC that will cloud up. (If you'd otherwise pitch it anyway no harm in trying the naphtha). I personally can't stand goo gone, truly nasty stuff to me with all that d-limonene and mineral spirits... (gag) That's just me... 

-Sponiebr
(see sig line for further info) 

Honestly, I would never reuse a clamshell myself. They hold scent and color.  Depending on how old they are, the fragrance can start eating the plastic too. Overall just not a great idea to put a chemical on it to remove what is there, then pour more hot wax and more fragrance chemicals. Asking for a disaster, if you ask me.  Plus it is not at all expensive to buy new ones. 

I've tried reusing clams a couple of times but by the time I pulled off the old label and cleaned up the clam it just wan't worth it and they didn't look good at all. New ones are much nicer and crisp and clean looking in my opinion. You won't be sorry that you bought new ones.