PSA - test all your fragrances for a while

This is a Public Service Announcement...

BASF/Germany  had a fire in October of this year - this affects anyone using fragrance.  As a result of this fire, fragrance companies have lost a key raw material in the manufacturing FO's.  I have seen letters to my customers from fragrance companies basically stating they have to reformulate everything to try to compensate for the loss of a key material.  They are making no guarantees that it will be the same or perform the same.  Additionally, there have been a few instances recently where the fragrance has caused some real problems.  Test everything, every time for at least the next 6 months.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-basf-forcemajeure-aroma/basf-declares-force-majeure-for-certain-aroma-ingredients-idUSKBN1D21AB

• Like 4

The statements I have personally seen, indicate any shipment after Dec.1 2017 might be reformulated.  Some of the fragrance companies were sneaky, they did not notify their customers of this problem until they were shipping reformulated fragrances.   they did not offer samples of the new Fo's either...some of my customers had no choice but to accept "new fragrance" oils and hope it works out.

Citral... FO's with citrus notes? Isoprenol... No idea.

That's just great. Issues with soy waxes and now FO's have to be retested. Murphy's Law at its finest.

Is this expected to impact burn performance/throw or fragrance profile?

whew!  I placed an Aztec order but haven't tried any that I ordered so I needed to test them all anyway.  Everything else it's been several months ++.  Maybe I'll hold off all of 2018.  Wishful thinking but just maybe this will convince me not to buy more fo.

Just to clarify...

I can't say for certain this effects ALL fragrance manufacturers - but it is fair to assume several will be.  Additionally, the Dec 1st date is just one that I have knowledge from one FO supplier.  This date may not represent all manufacturers.  It is also possible - and likely - you won't have any issues.  I posted this just to let everyone know what happened and that it MAY (not guaranteed to be) a problem.  Don't make any drastic decisions - that is the point of this post - test to be sure...it might be fine.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Brambleberry sent this email out yesterday:

What You Need to Know

Due to a shortage of an aroma chemical called citral, we will be temporarily reformulating some of our fragrance oils. We have a plan in place to address this situation.

What happened
On Oct. 31st, 2017, the production unit of a citral manufacturer caught on fire. There were no injuries but the factory was badly damaged. It's going to take several months to repair it before they can resume production.

This manufacturer is a large supplier for the fragrance industry and citral is an essential component in certain scents. It smells like lemon, so it adds brightness to aroma blends.

What this means for you
Rather than putting the fragrances out of stock, our vendors will be reformulating them. They're working hard to make them as close to the original scent as possible. However, some may smell slightly different and may perform differently in cold process soap as well. This will affect the fragrances during 2018 and maybe into 2019.

Our plan of action
As soon as we get the reformulation in, Caitlin and Lara in our research department will test it in cold process soap. Once we know how it performs and we run out of the previous formulation, we will update the product page with testing notes compared to the old version. We will also describe any difference in smell.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, olives said:

Brambleberry sent this email out yesterday:

What You Need to Know

Due to a shortage of an aroma chemical called citral, we will be temporarily reformulating some of our fragrance oils. We have a plan in place to address this situation.

What happened
On Oct. 31st, 2017, the production unit of a citral manufacturer caught on fire. There were no injuries but the factory was badly damaged. It's going to take several months to repair it before they can resume production.

This manufacturer is a large supplier for the fragrance industry and citral is an essential component in certain scents. It smells like lemon, so it adds brightness to aroma blends.

What this means for you
Rather than putting the fragrances out of stock, our vendors will be reformulating them. They're working hard to make them as close to the original scent as possible. However, some may smell slightly different and may perform differently in cold process soap as well. This will affect the fragrances during 2018 and maybe into 2019.

Our plan of action
As soon as we get the reformulation in, Caitlin and Lara in our research department will test it in cold process soap. Once we know how it performs and we run out of the previous formulation, we will update the product page with testing notes compared to the old version. We will also describe any difference in smell.

Thanks for posting this. Nice that they got out in front of it, I am interested to see how other suppliers are handling this, as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moonshine said:

That was very good they posted this...first supplier I have heard address it

Changes in the soy wax most were in denial even though many of us on the board complained and asked so it won't surprise me if they ignore and deny this as well

That's exactly why I am asking here. Thanks to you all(esp Goldie), I was able to salvage my fundraiser season with the new 415. I will be asking my oil suppliers flat out before making any orders. I don't think they'd lie?

• Like 1

I think the reputable suppliers will let us know as they begin to get low on the fo affected and need to reformulate.  Some may have enough to get through 2018.  I truly hope it doesn't mess up soaping for anyone, that statement is a little scary if you're already soaping a scent that has citral in the scent.

Agreed....I would definitely ask because like I said with a few phone calls to my wax supplier they denied any complaints or changes in 415 and I called several weeks after I had already called and several others saying they called or emailed as well and they still said they hadn't had any complaints and acted shocked 

I'm not convinced they will all be advertising it 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FYI all...just got this email from Rustic Escentuals:

Due to a disastrous warehouse fire at a critical manufacturer, our industry is experiencing a shortage of multiple critical ingredients used in the formulations of many fragrances.

Rustic Escentuals has already experienced a negative issue with a reformulated fragrance. Due to this experience we will NOT be having any of our scents reformulated and will stick with all original formulas. 

This issue may cause some of our fragrance oils to be listed as "out of stock" when our current inventory is depleted. We do not want to risk customer dissatisfaction with fragrance oils that are not guaranteed to perform as usual.

Please understand that this situation is out of our control and is an industry wide dilemma. Hopefully this issue will be resolved by May 2018. Please be patient with us as we try to navigate through this uncharted territory.

We will be happy to speak to our customers about this issue and address any concerns they might have. Customer happiness and product quality are our most important goals in this situation. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Rustic Escentuals
customer service: 864-582-9335
phone orders/technical support: 864-384-5331
  • Like 2

It's interesting to see the different positions the suppliers are taking on this. I was browsing Aztec and saw that they have reformulated many of their oils, but they didn't test the new ones and they plan to go back to the old ones as soon as they can. I guess BB has the manpower and resources to do all that testing, but man, that's a lot of work for a temporary situation! Perhaps they have such a huge volume of sales, it's necessary. Seems like RE is willing to take the gamble that the situation will be fine in a few months to avoid unhappy customers with sub-par oils.

It definitely makes me wonder about the suppliers we haven't heard a peep from...

• Confused 1

I would be less alarmed by all the changing if the retailers would just put lot numbers on each bottle of FO they send out. The cosmetic industry is required to do it for GMP. Why do our retailers get off the hook?

we are all buying a pig in a poke in this horrid situation the market is in. How on earth can a consumer know which formulation is in that bottle? 

• Like 3

Some business here in the US could make a killing producing Citrical right now.  I'm so glad most of my suppliers have stated what they are doing so I know if I need to place an order whether I need to retest the fo.  RE is one of my main suppliers, haven't heard from Flaming yet but I need to see if they addressed it on their website or if anyone else has commented on them.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1