Ooh I picked some good new FO's at Cierra

GailC

These days I mostly buy new FO's after I order one ounce samples first.  Or get them free at Aztec and Candlewic. (Or smell them 'in person' at Nature's Garden)

Since Cierra was having a good Cyber Monday sale, and I really wanted some more Sea Island Cotton, I took a chance and ordered enough to get free shipping.  I think I'm going to like them all!  Of course you can't really tell until you put the FO in wax, and sometimes you can't tell until you actually burn the candle. Like Hot Buttered Rum from Candlewic.  I thought it was weak and meh until I lit it...Now I love it!.....but I digress.

Here are my new ones from Cierra:

Lime Basil Mandarin Jo Malone Type - unique and interesting.  

Cherry Cobbler - I really just smell cherries but we'll see

Vanilla Latte- Smells good!

Island Dreaming - Another nice tropical scent for spring/summer, and a little different from what I already have.  It has honeysuckle with the fruit

Baja Cactus Blossom - BBW type  

Did any of you take a leap of faith and buy some new FO's during the sale that are winners?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GailC said:

Do you find that the vanilla/cream note or the coffee note smells more dominant than the other, or is about an even ratio? Curious because I'm starting to develop a bit of a thing for coffee FO's hehe.

2 hours ago, GailC said:

Did any of you take a leap of faith and buy some new FO's during the sale that are winners?  

I ordered many samples from wholesales supplies plus, my first time trying this company. Definitely more winners than duds, which was a really pleasant surprise. Some of them are pretty strong, too, which was also a really pleasant surprise since I wasn't paying a higher than usual price, just approx $3.50/oz, when normally when I want something stronger I have to go to bulk apothecary, but they charge approx $6/oz. So all around am extremely happy with wholesales supplies plus. They took a while to process my order, but once it shipped it was here in just a couple days, so that evened out and was a reasonable time overall.

Hrmm let's see.. (forgive me yall I have a thing for earth/wood/musk and misc masculine).

Faves are bold/underlined:

Oakmoss Sandalwood - smells mossy fresh but not ozonic fresh, definite notes of wood and citrus, it's nice

Masculine Musk - smells like a soft and high end cologne

Dirt - seriously smells just like fresh damp potting soil, crazy how spot on this scent is, it's super realistic

Pumpkin Peppercorn - very rich and warm, smells absolutely delicious, like warm toast covered in apple pumpkin butter

Indonesian Teakwood - fresh from the bottle it smells bad to me, like fruit punch and very sharp wood note, but given about 20 minutes out of the bottle and the fruitiness fades, and the wood softens, and it's a mellow mildly sweet wood scent, I had considered it a dud but when I went to round up the cotton qtips when I was done sampling, its scent had greatly improved

Spank Me Leather - smells like warm ink and paper, like that smell of warm paper fresh from the printer with a lot of ink on it, and a faint hint of cold leather, reeeeeally like this one, also seems very nuanced and versatile, made me think "tattoo parlor" on first impression

Vanilla Oak - definitely woody, with a mild sweetness, but not overtly vanilla, just a sort of soft and mysterious sort of sweetness to it, pleasant

Tuscan Cedarwood - smells to me like a softer and slightly woodier version of rustic escentuals' cuban tobacco

Burmese Woods - to me smells exactly like essence of Jesus by rustic escentuals, and I mean exactly like it, which threw me off, and unfortunately just like that one, to me it does not smell woody at all and is a little off to me

Cashmere Suede - to me smells like damp burlap bags and celery, it's like I want to like it but all I can think of is celery when I smell it

Black Cashmere - sooooooooo good, like warm linens, soft musk (but not powdery, just soft and smooth) and soft earth, I find it very relaxing

Oud & Incense - to me this smells very much like ho wood essential oil, a very bright and clean wood smell

Sandalwood - this hands down smell exactly like juniperis virginiana essential oil, commonly marketed as cedar wood essential oil but different from atlas cedar essential oil, so smells exactly like juniper wood, I had to get the two side by side because I thought surely there had to be a difference, but nope, exactly the same smell, disappointing for a sandalwood fragrance, but if someone wants a juniper wood smell or the smell of "cedar wood" essential oil as it is commonly marketed, this is basically a perfect replica scent of that

Dragons Blood - am not a fan, the citrus is very strong in it, but I don't think citrus was listed in the description, had been looking forward to a non-citrus dragon's blood interpretation, and this smells mostly like oranges, and out of the bottle the smells just kept getting weirder and weirder, but I am biased against citrus half the time, so it might smell amazing to a lot of other people, the earthy and woody qualities did come out a lot more during the dry down but it just smells off to me in nose scrunching way

Sandalwood Patchouli - this smells nothing like sandalwood nor patchouli to me, but it does smell amazing, it is soft but has staying power, a rare combo, is slightly masculine but pretty unisex, and is ultimately an extremely smooth and mildly warm musk, neutral and not powdery, will be excellent for adding depth to fragrance blends

Witches Brew - for real just smells like straight up patchouli, I can't detect the cedar or cinnamon at all, love patchouli so I can make good use of this fragrance, but I think anyone expecting something more complex would be disappointed (at least this is the case for the bottle I received)

Tabac and Leather - very strong, very smooth and masculine, very nice, does not have a sharp or chemically cologne smell to it which I often get when trying more complex masculine fragrance oils, so am very happy with this one

Leather - not a fan, does not smell like a rugged or worn leather smell, but instead to me has a chemically smell like a new car scent, just very sharp and chemically, but I think if someone was aiming for that specific new car sort of scent then this one would work really well for it

Edited by NaughtyNancy

OK @NaughtyNancy, your vivid descriptions of your oils put mine to shame. 

Me:  Vanilla Latte- smells good!

You:  Vanilla Oak - definitely woody, with a mild sweetness, but not overtly vanilla, just a sort of soft and mysterious sort of sweetness to it, pleasant

Show off.  :D  Really, I wish I could describe fragrances like that. 

The Vanilla Latte is truly a latte scent I think.  Lots of cream, sweet smelling, some coffee.

I got another coffee FO today on backorder from Fragrance Buddy.  Cappuccino Espresso.  Now it smells like a robust, strong coffee with a touch of sweetness.  

I wanted the Vanilla Latte for a top layer in my coffee candles.  I will probably use my new Cappuccino Espresso for the bottom layer.  I already have Caramel Cafe from RE that I used for the bottom layer last time.  It's a wonderful coffee scent too.  But my favorite so far still is Pumpkin Spice Latte from RE.  Coffee is the dominate scent to me.  Love it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

By the way @NaughtyNancy, out tastes in fragrance oils are polar opposites.  :)  The only ones on your list I would even consider are Vanilla Oak, (I got a sample of that from Millcreek and it was OK, different) and Pumpkin Peppercorn.

I don't want any leather, sandalwood, tobacco or patchouli.

I do have Indian Sandalwood from NG that I got for my daughter and it's not awful.  I also have Peaceful Patchouli that I bought from Aztec a few years ago.  Haven't convinced myself to do anything with it yet.  

2 hours ago, GailC said:

By the way @NaughtyNancy, out tastes in fragrance oils are polar opposites.  :)  The only ones on your list I would even consider are Vanilla Oak, (I got a sample of that from Millcreek and it was OK, different) and Pumpkin Peppercorn.

I don't want any leather, sandalwood, tobacco or patchouli.

I do have Indian Sandalwood from NG that I got for my daughter and it's not awful.  I also have Peaceful Patchouli that I bought from Aztec a few years ago.  Haven't convinced myself to do anything with it yet.  

You into foodie type scents mostly? I think I could roughly categorize most of the people I make solid lotions / solid perfumes / etc for - the foodie people, the flower people, the citrus people and the dirty hippies (like me :D)

2 hours ago, GailC said:

But my favorite so far still is Pumpkin Spice Latte from RE.  Coffee is the dominate scent to me.  Love it!

Mmm I'm gonna have to try it the next time I stock on my cuban tobacco and such. 

2 hours ago, GailC said:

OK @NaughtyNancy, your vivid descriptions of your oils put mine to shame. 

Me:  Vanilla Latte- smells good!

You:  Vanilla Oak - definitely woody, with a mild sweetness, but not overtly vanilla, just a sort of soft and mysterious sort of sweetness to it, pleasant

Show off.  :D  Really, I wish I could describe fragrances like that. 

Well, if it helps you feel any better, I wish I could make candles like you, haha. I mostly enjoy FO's for personal fragrance items, so I tend to carry on about them like they're books or something.

Here is my first attempt at candles (I saved the photos because it cracked me up so bad):

1208170315.jpg

@NaughtyNancy, I would be ashamed to post my first soaps, or my first candles for that matter!! We all start somewhere, right? I don't think they looks bad, earthy and rustic is a legit look!

We have similar tastes in fragrance, I am definitely going to try the Sandalwood Patchouli next time I order from WSP.

I was so disappointed in their Dragon's Blood! I agree that there is a citrus note that is overwhelming, and the dry down is so sweet, much too reminiscent of baby powder for me. To add injury to insult, it morphed in every product I put it in into a strange chemical soapy bottom note that persists after the initial fragrance dissipates. Maybe you will have better luck with your perfume, solid perfume was just about the only thing I didn't try it in. 😁

@GailC, I took a chance with the sale at Aztec, and I ordered a full pound of the pine that was on sale, as well as the eucalyptus and mint. The pine is very nice, very sap heavy like the description and wonderfully fresh and outdoorsy. The euc and mint I think is overly sweet and lacking the sharp camphor I look for in that combo, but I suppose it will be nice in blends. Did you end up ordering that one too?

• Like 1

@NaughtyNancy, yes I like food type, spicy scents as do 95% of my customers probably.  

I also like fruity, tropical and clean scents. Oh and coffee!  I don't care for florals, but I do like some floral/fruit combos.  Cantaloupe & Lily from Aztec is one of my favorite scents for spring/summer

Yes, you do need to try the Spiced Pumpkin Latte.  I am almost out.  Not enough to make another batch.  But I'm not buying more until I need something else from RE.  :)  I'll just have to make do with the 4 kinds of coffee scents I have now.

Your candles don't look bad.  A lot of people like that rustic look.   

@Sarah S, I didn't order the Eucalyptus & Spearmint from Aztec.  I get that scent from Nature's Garden and it has been so wildly popular with customers, I was afraid to switch.  Although, I have compared other scents from both companies and can't tell a lot of difference.  

On 12/8/2017 at 7:31 AM, Sarah S said:

I was so disappointed in their Dragon's Blood! I agree that there is a citrus note that is overwhelming, and the dry down is so sweet, much too reminiscent of baby powder for me. To add injury to insult, it morphed in every product I put it in into a strange chemical soapy bottom note that persists after the initial fragrance dissipates. Maybe you will have better luck with your perfume, solid perfume was just about the only thing I didn't try it in. 😁

So far it is just icky in everything. It has been banished to the shelf of "fragrances I don't know what to do with but can't bring myself to throw away, either" lol.

However, witches brew bloomed all the way in a solid perfume, came out smelling a lot like a damp, earthy Autumn leaves sort of smell, rather than just straight up patchouli. So hey there's that! I bet it would make for an awesome candle scent.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 9:10 PM, GailC said:

These days I mostly buy new FO's after I order one ounce samples first.  Or get them free at Aztec and Candlewic. (Or smell them 'in person' at Nature's Garden)

Since Cierra was having a good Cyber Monday sale, and I really wanted some more Sea Island Cotton, I took a chance and ordered enough to get free shipping.  I think I'm going to like them all!  Of course you can't really tell until you put the FO in wax, and sometimes you can't tell until you actually burn the candle. Like Hot Buttered Rum from Candlewic.  I thought it was weak and meh until I lit it...Now I love it!.....but I digress.

Here are my new ones from Cierra:

Lime Basil Mandarin Jo Malone Type - unique and interesting.  

Cherry Cobbler - I really just smell cherries but we'll see

Island Dreaming - Another nice tropical scent for spring/summer, and a little different from what I already have.  It has honeysuckle with the fruit

Baja Cactus Blossom - BBW type  

Gail ,I have tried their Blueberry cobbler and love this one .I have more to test .I missed the Black Friday sale ,however I would definitely recommend this Co for fragrance oils .I am trying to narrow down suppliers .This is so hard to make a decision when I need different ones from each supplier. Can you believe I have never tried Rustics ,trying to stay away lol.I have heard great reviews on their oils .I filled my cart a while back during the sale and forgot to go back and check out .I have to keep Candlewic,Aztec, Candlescience WSP, Candlesource ,now Cierra .I would love to try Bulk Apothecary as well. The shipping charges can really  add up quickly  lol.

@katmeltswax I did pretty well for a few years keeping not adding suppliers, but couldn't resist one of Fragrance Buddy's sales and free shipping.  Then it was Candlewic with their little deals and free samples. Then I found Flaming Candle carried the jars I used that I used to get from Peak.  So far I've only ordered 2 FO's from there though.  I don't even remember why I ordered from Southwest.  Geez.

Here's my list of those I bought from in 2017:

Aztec

Nature's Garden

Rustic Escentuals

Fragrance Buddy

Candlewic

Millcreek

Cierra

Candles & Supplies

Flaming Candle

The Candlemaker's Store

Southwest 

Candlescience

Peak

At least I can cross Peak off the list for next year.  :)

• Like 1

Gail ,I see your post & remember that Flaming is one I use also .I also use Keystone now for Peak oils .I know Peak now has opened again selling fragrance oils only .That situation is really confusing to me ,due to the fact I thought Peak sold out to Keystone ,now back to offering their original oils again .I really am going to try and narrow my suppliers down soon .Oh I want to try Fillmore Christmas tree ,heard great reviews on some of their oils .I also read post about a Lemon cheesecake from another supplier ,gosh cannot recall the name ,sounds so good .Maybe Candle & Supply .This is going to be tough trying to drop a few suppliers .Help Help no end right lol.I have way to many oils in stock and still getting oils weekly on my porch lol.

2 hours ago, GailC said:

@katmeltswax I did pretty well for a few years keeping not adding suppliers, but couldn't resist one of Fragrance Buddy's sales and free shipping.  Then it was Candlewic with their little deals and free samples. Then I found Flaming Candle carried the jars I used that I used to get from Peak.  So far I've only ordered 2 FO's from there though.  I don't even remember why I ordered from Southwest.  Geez.

Here's my list of those I bought from in 2017:

Aztec

Nature's Garden

Rustic Escentuals

Fragrance Buddy

Candlewic

Millcreek

Cierra

Candles & Supplies

Flaming Candle

The Candlemaker's Store

Southwest 

Candlescience

Peak

At least I can cross Peak off the list for next year.  :)

How would you rate Millcreek? I have never tried their oils 😀

16 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

How would you rate Millcreek? I have never tried their oils 😀

I think Millcreek's FOs are very good.  I have gotten a couple of samples that were a little weak, but most I have used perform well in soy wax.

Her High Cotton is one of my favorite clean scents.  

Backroads is a YC type of Storm Watch.  Love the scent and it is strong.  

Grandma's Kitchen is a good apple spice scent

Seaside is a really nice ocean type scent.

Harvest Spice is my favorite cinnamon spice scent I've found so far.  I renamed it Welcome Home so it could be for all year.  Customers like it too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 12:47 PM, GailC said:

I think Millcreek's FOs are very good.  I have gotten a couple of samples that were a little weak, but most I have used perform well in soy wax.

Her High Cotton is one of my favorite clean scents.  

Backroads is a YC type of Storm Watch.  Love the scent and it is strong.  

Grandma's Kitchen is a good apple spice scent

Seaside is a really nice ocean type scent.

Harvest Spice is my favorite cinnamon spice scent I've found so far.  I renamed it Welcome Home so it could be for all year.  Customers like it too.

Gail ,I know you mentioned buying from Candlewic ,just letting you know their Yankee Storm Watch is Fantastic as well ,it's under the Ultimate Bold category .I usually choose this one for my free pound when they offer this during sales .They do have more of course ,that are great .I have only had a few I did not care for in the UB category .

1 minute ago, katmeltswax said:

Gail ,I know you mentioned buying from Candlewic ,just letting you know their Yankee Storm Watch is Fantastic as well ,it's under the Ultimate Bold category .I usually choose this one for my free pound when they offer this during sales .They do have more of course ,that are great .I have only had a few I did not care for in the UB category .

I saw that Candlewic had Storm Watch but it is so pricey. I've had good results with MC's and it's $17.99 a pound I think.  Have a couple of customers who love it, as do I.

The last time I got a free pound from them, I ordered 5 FO's, from $13.54 a pound to $17.00 a pound.  My discount was $14.32.  Not the cheapest bottle, and not the most expensive.  I don't know exactly how they determine which FO is the free one. :)

The other time I got a free pound I only ordered 2 pounds with wax I think.  I wanted one that was in the $20 range so I ordered 2 in that range.  That way I knew I would get $20 something dollars worth free.  :) 

Sometimes I get the free clamshells.  I like that deal.

48 minutes ago, GailC said:

I saw that Candlewic had Storm Watch but it is so pricey. I've had good results with MC's and it's $17.99 a pound I think.  Have a couple of customers who love it, as do I.

The last time I got a free pound from them, I ordered 5 FO's, from $13.54 a pound to $17.00 a pound.  My discount was $14.32.  Not the cheapest bottle, and not the most expensive.  I don't know exactly how they determine which FO is the free one. :)

The other time I got a free pound I only ordered 2 pounds with wax I think.  I wanted one that was in the $20 range so I ordered 2 in that range.  That way I knew I would get $20 something dollars worth free.  :) 

Sometimes I get the free clamshells.  I like that deal.

Yes CW Storm Watch is very high ,I only get it when they have the specials lol. I always pick the High ones for my free pound bottle.They usually offer this about 4 times a year when you spend at least $75 ,grab my 129 by the case ,then pick the deals .I may try to order wax annually ,to save on shipping cost. I was looking at my receipts & almost fell over when I counted my shipping cost for 2017 ,gosh it is outrageously expensive. Think I may order enough for the year ,instead of a case every time I turn around .The shipping cost would make a huge difference & make for way more profits lol.Now oils idk hard to resist new scents & sales that post all during the year kwim 😀

• Like 1

@katmeltswax, ordering wax annually would be great if I had somewhere in the house to store it.  Can't keep it in the garage in the summer. :)  I do like ordering a case of wax from Candlewic when I'm also ordering FO's because the FedEx shipping charge only goes up about $14.  I usually pay about $26 total for shipping from Candlewic that way.  I wish more suppliers offered FedEx shipping rather than UPS.

Sometimes I drive to Ohio from central Indiana to pick up my wax.  Almost a 2 1/2 hour drive but it sure saves on shipping.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GailC said:

@katmeltswax, ordering wax annually would be great if I had somewhere in the house to store it.  Can't keep it in the garage in the summer. :)  I do like ordering a case of wax from Candlewic when I'm also ordering FO's because the FedEx shipping charge only goes up about $14.  I usually pay about $26 total for shipping from Candlewic that way.  I wish more suppliers offered FedEx shipping rather than UPS.

Sometimes I drive to Ohio from central Indiana to pick up my wax.  Almost a 2 1/2 hour drive but it sure saves on shipping.  

Gosh Gail ,Wish I was in driving distance to pick up wax , especially from CW . I am seriously going to try & buy for the entire year ,or cut it to twice a year .The savings would be tremendous .I wanted to let you know Bramble Berry has a 40 Percent off sale on body butter jars.I know you mentioned you ordered already ,however the savings may be worth stocking your jars for your future butters  in advance lol I just saw the email .I may order some of the punk organza bags for my Bath bombs ,both are 40 off clearance,sounds like a great deal .I have been wanting to try some of their oils ,just scared I will end up with another supplier lol.I need to drop some ,not add to .Gosh!!! It  never ends right . I have a cart full waiting for payment right now from Candlemakers lol.

@katmeltswax, I only wish it was Candlewic I drove to.  But it's The Candlemaker's Store in Hamilton, Ohio, right above Cinncinati.  I wasn't very clear.

Ohio has so many suppliers.  Blueglass candle Supply used to be only 1/2 hour away from me in Indianapolis, but alas, she went out of business several years ago.

Thanks for the heads up about Brambleberry.  I got the same email, but hadn't opened it.  I didn't see any jars on clearance though except 10 oz bail jars.

I used to buy my organza bags on ebay.  You can get them cheap if you don't mind ordering from China and waiting a couple of weeks for your order.  60 cents a bag at Brambleberry is a way lot more.  I just check and you could buy 50 4X6 pink organza bags on ebay for about $7.00.  Oh...they ship from California.  Here is the link if you're interested.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-100-500-4-x6-Organza-Wedding-Party-Favor-Gift-Candy-Bags-Jewelry-Pouch/222363508266?hash=item33c5e5de2a:m:mIgrtsWsDtnEHcKmJY05XDA

I used to buy assorted colors.  some 3X5 and some 4X6.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GailC said:

@katmeltswax, I only wish it was Candlewic I drove to.  But it's The Candlemaker's Store in Hamilton, Ohio, right above Cinncinati.  I wasn't very clear.

Ohio has so many suppliers.  Blueglass candle Supply used to be only 1/2 hour away from me in Indianapolis, but alas, she went out of business several years ago.

Thanks for the heads up about Brambleberry.  I got the same email, but hadn't opened it.  I didn't see any jars on clearance though except 10 oz bail jars.

I used to buy my organza bags on ebay.  You can get them cheap if you don't mind ordering from China and waiting a couple of weeks for your order.  60 cents a bag at Brambleberry is a way lot more.  I just check and you could buy 50 4X6 pink organza bags on ebay for about $7.00.  Oh...they ship from California.  Here is the link if you're interested.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-100-500-4-x6-Organza-Wedding-Party-Favor-Gift-Candy-Bags-Jewelry-Pouch/222363508266?hash=item33c5e5de2a:m:mIgrtsWsDtnEHcKmJY05XDA

I used to buy assorted colors.  some 3X5 and some 4X6.

Thanks Gail thinking eBay will be cheaper .I don't mind the slow boat from China lol ....I can save alot & get more bags for cheaper price 😀

4 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Thanks Gail thinking eBay will be cheaper .I don't mind the slow boat from China lol ....I can save alot & get more bags for cheaper price 😀

Hold the phone...here are 48 bags for $2.23....now these ARE from China.  You might want to browse around ebay.  :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Organza-DrawstRing-Pouches-Gift-Bags-Assorted-Colors-4x5-LW/173018074491?epid=1051303868&hash=item2848ae4d7b:g:JEEAAOSwzaJX9gxl

4.6 cents a bag.  You can't beat that with a stick.

Edited by GailC
  • Like 1