fragrance oil effect on wick size?

43 minutes ago, chapguy said:

When you add fragrance oil to a soy candle, does it tend to change a wick size up or down? I’m assuming it requires a size down, because the oil makes the wax softer? Any opinions? 

It really depends on the scent and to some extent the supplier you get that scent from. . Some scents tend to need wicking up (like bakery scents/ vanillas and cinnamons) where as some require a wick down. And some, you can use the same wick you would an unscented candle. 

That's why it's so important to test each new variable, including each new scent. 

I usually just start with the one that works with my naked wax. After the second burn I can usually tell which way it needs to go. 

If you test multiples of wicks, I would go one size up or down.

you can partially fill the containers to see how each performs at the critical half way point.

Or, as some have done successfully with deeper containers, pour without a wick, poke a hole and stuff your starting wick into the hole. If it does not work, you can pull the wick easily and replace with one you think might work better. After burning the rest of the candle pour one in that successful wick and retest from top to bottom. 

• Like 3

On 12/7/2017 at 8:58 AM, TallTayl said:

I usually just start with the one that works with my naked wax. After the second burn I can usually tell which way it needs to go. 

If you test multiples of wicks, I would go one size up or down.

you can partially fill the containers to see how each performs at the critical half way point.

Or, as some have done successfully with deeper containers, pour without a wick, poke a hole and stuff your starting wick into the hole. If it does not work, you can pull the wick easily and replace with one you think might work better. After burning the rest of the candle pour one in that successful wick and retest from top to bottom. 

This is what I do now...pour without any wick and use a wooden skewer to poke a hole to the bottom...cut the wick from the tab and insert it down.  If it looks like it's not working, then i blow it out..pull the wick out with needle nose pliers, and try another wick.  If it seems to be working..leave it in until after a 2 or 3 burns.  Great method which I learned on this forum...