Suggested best Balsam& Cedar oil?

katmeltswax

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry this is 12 days after you posted, but here goes....I have wsp's Balsam and Cedar and out of bottle, it smells just like Yankee Candles version to me. I love it and wanted to make it in a candle but since I have  no candles skills, its sitting around unused because I don't want to waste it.

• Like 1

Fillmore has fantastic balsam and cedarwood FOs. You could mix them together to make balsam & cedar. The balsam is their 'christmas tree' FO. Its just beautiful and throws really well in soy, paraffin, and palm. Same with their cedarwood. I buy the cedar to use as a mixer it smells so good and reminds me of those wonderful cedarwood chests. I used to mix the cedar with cinnamon. You do have to cure it for about 3 weeks before its starts to throw if you make soy candles. Not so with the christmas tree. That will throw well with a much shorter cure of a week or less.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Fillmore has fantastic balsam and cedarwood FOs. You could mix them together to make balsam & cedar. The balsam is their 'christmas tree' FO. Its just beautiful and throws really well in soy, paraffin, and palm. Same with their cedarwood. I buy the cedar to use as a mixer it smells so good and reminds me of those wonderful cedarwood chests. I used to mix the cedar with cinnamon. You do have to cure it for about 3 weeks before its starts to throw if you make soy candles. Not so with the christmas tree. That will throw well with a much shorter cure of a week or less.

Thanks Candybee ,I think I will go ahead & get a pound bottle of Fillmore Balsam.I have heard such wonderful reviews on their Balsam.Do you recommend anymore must haves from them? May as well get the good ones in one order 😀I trust your judgement on any you can recommend .I have never ordered from Fillmore ,looks like I will be adding another supplier .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lenarenee said:

I'm sorry this is 12 days after you posted, but here goes....I have wsp's Balsam and Cedar and out of bottle, it smells just like Yankee Candles version to me. I love it and wanted to make it in a candle but since I have  no candles skills, its sitting around unused because I don't want to waste it.

Do you make wax melts ?

27 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Do you make wax melts ?

Not yet!  Hope to start learning this week because I have 2 weeks off!  I don't know where to start yet. I have some waxes from last year's short foray into candlemaking that need to be used and I thought wax melts would be a good use.  But it's gw443,  Nature's c3 and palm so I probably have to come up with a combination that works for wax melts.

I believe straight palm wax will work for tarts.  Candybee uses palm and her melts from the fall swap last year were

awesome!  I don't really work with soy so not sure if those other 2 will work on their own for melts. 

But, I hope you have fun learning over the next 2 weeks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, debratant said:

I believe straight palm wax will work for tarts.  Candybee uses palm and her melts from the fall swap last year were

awesome!  I don't really work with soy so not sure if those other 2 will work on their own for melts. 

But, I hope you have fun learning over the next 2 weeks!

Palm wax does make awesome melts. You can use pillar palm or container palm. I find both work great. The nice thing about palm wax melts is that the whole melt will slide out of the bowl with a single push of a finger once its cooled and hardened. Plus they start to fill the room with scent within a minute of melting.

The downside is you have to heat palm to about 200-210 and pour hot at 195-205 degrees so pouring the hot wax into clamshells would warp and ruin them from the heat. I use metal tart molds for my palm wax melts.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 3

On 12/18/2017 at 12:52 PM, katmeltswax said:

Thanks Candybee ,I think I will go ahead & get a pound bottle of Fillmore Balsam.I have heard such wonderful reviews on their Balsam.Do you recommend anymore must haves from them? May as well get the good ones in one order 😀I trust your judgement on any you can recommend .I have never ordered from Fillmore ,looks like I will be adding another supplier .

Fillmore has several must haves I can't be without. Here are a few of my favs:

My top 3 favs are:

• Christmas Tree
  • Cedar Garland
  • Nutmeg & Ginger

Others I've tried and like:

• Patchouli (best patch FO I have found)
  • Iced Lemon Biscotti (this one is sooo yummy!)
  • Honeysuckle
  • Daffodils (absolutely spot on and screams spring!)
  • Cedarwood
  • Butterscotch Brulee (another mouth wateringly yummy scent!)
  • Cocoa Therapy
  • Lilac
  • Pumpkin Spice Chutney (spicy pumpkin, spice like mince meat type with pumpkin)
  • Lavender, Sage & Rosemary (mellow, herbally variation on lavender, very nice!)
  • Clove
  • Bayberry Cinnamon (nice holiday scent)
  • Fresh Cut Grass (more cut grass like mowed lawn scent, less sweet than Peaks)
  • Mayan Gold

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Palm wax does make awesome melts. You can use pillar palm or container palm. I find both work great. The nice thing about palm wax melts is that the whole melt will slide out of the bowl with a single push of a finger once its cooled and hardened. Plus they start to fill the room with scent within a minute of melting.

The downside is you have to heat palm to about 200-210 and pour hot at 195-205 degrees so pouring the hot wax into clamshells would warp and ruin them from the heat. I use metal tart molds for my palm wax melts.

Exactly what I do when I get the inclination to make tarts. Palm (usually container but sometimes pillar) in metal tart molds. LOVE them. 

I remember when I made dragons blood tarts and put half of one in my melter at my old job, then left the building to run an errand. When I came back the entire 24th floor was flooded with scent. LMAO (and we all have offices with doors, etc, not cubes, so I was impressed! But had to immediately shut it off once I got back so I wouldn't get into trouble. LOL 

I'm not surprised! They can be very, very strong. I only use 6% FO load and the scent can blow me out of the house! I don't make them very often either as I no longer have room for melts on my display tables. Bet every now and then I will make a "tart" bar with cute holiday boxes filled with different scented tarts and let customers pick a bag (I  set out plastic zipper bags) full of tarts. Its been a while since I did that but the tarts sold fast!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Candybee said:

Fillmore has several must haves I can't be without. Here are a few of my favs:

My top 3 favs are:

• Christmas Tree
  • Cedar Garland
  • Nutmeg & Ginger

Others I've tried and like:

• Patchouli (best patch FO I have found)
  • Iced Lemon Biscotti (this one is sooo yummy!)
  • Honeysuckle
  • Daffodils (absolutely spot on and screams spring!)
  • Cedarwood
  • Butterscotch Brulee (another mouth wateringly yummy scent!)
  • Cocoa Therapy
  • Lilac
  • Pumpkin Spice Chutney (spicy pumpkin, spice like mince meat type with pumpkin)
  • Lavender, Sage & Rosemary (mellow, herbally variation on lavender, very nice!)
  • Clove
  • Bayberry Cinnamon (nice holiday scent)
  • Fresh Cut Grass (more cut grass like mowed lawn scent, less sweet than Peaks)
  • Mayan Gold

Wow ,Thanks Candybee! This is a long list & looks like I better get ready to spend some money.I will definitely grab a pound of the Christmas tree,Lemon biscotti, Cinnamon Bayberry & Lilac .I have been looking for a great Balsam & never found one I loved .I have heard great reviews ,so I am going to go for it .Thanks for all the recommendations 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Exactly what I do when I get the inclination to make tarts. Palm (usually container but sometimes pillar) in metal tart molds. LOVE them. 

I remember when I made dragons blood tarts and put half of one in my melter at my old job, then left the building to run an errand. When I came back the entire 24th floor was flooded with scent. LMAO (and we all have offices with doors, etc, not cubes, so I was impressed! But had to immediately shut it off once I got back so I wouldn't get into trouble. LOL 

You have me wanting to try some palm wax for melts ,sounds like a help of a tart.I have zero experience with palm  . Which palm is best for tarts ? Will this work in silicone molds ? 

On 12/22/2017 at 9:52 AM, Candybee said:

You're welcome. I think you will like their oils.

I am going to place my Filmore order this week ,if they are open .Thanks again for all your recommendations.So excited about the Christmas tree Balsam ,along with more I am getting .I trust your judgement Candybee 😁