First Craft Show! - Issue with candles sweating??

Hey guys! First of all I wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes here, I have learned SO much from this site in the past few months! This weekend I was part of my very first craft show. (I put a picture of my booth below) And I had an issue that I have not experienced previously. I took the lids off the row of candles in the front, so that potential customers could smell them. Well, after about 4 hours, I noticed that the candles appeared to be either sweating or melting... I rubbed my finger across the top of 1 and it was soft. But only the ones with the lids off, the ones with the lids on, where fine... It's was a cool day and the venue was running the heaters, but I don't think it was overly warm. My first guess was maybe the lights above my table were warm? Since the ones with lids were unaffected? But I don't know! (It was recessed lighting, so I didn't feel they were that hot) I use 464 soy wax and did notice that the batch I got for these candles was very creamy. Every other batch of 464 that I have used has been a golden clear color. (I was previously using 10 pound bags and this was my first 50 pound box) I know there have been so many issues with soy wax lately and do not know if this has contributed at all.  I just want to make sure that it is not something I am doing, as I am opening my website this weekend. And now I'm super concerned that my candles are going to melt when shipped!!! I would appreciate for any advice or suggestions!!!!

IMG_4370.jpg

Edited by ChristinaD
  • Like 1

Have you tested this new batch of wax prior to making sale candles?

knowing all the soy issues going on it's very important to know how this "new" soy is going to behave 

464-415 and C3 are not anything like it was .... if you haven't tested your new lots you need to and make adjustments to ensure a safe candle going out there

464 is reported to need wicking down so that could be contributing to the sweating if it's softer in general or were the candles really cool before setting them out to where the small amount of heat caused a big temperature change?

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

Your booth is very handsome and smart looking.  Love the black and gray color scheme.   Are those the 9oz straight wall jars?  If you don't mind me asking, what size wick did you wind up using?  I was looking at those jars just recently.

Hope you had a great show!  How so impressive you achieved such fast progress in a couple of months that you already are selling in shows!  Geesh, it took me a long long time seems forever before I felt comfortable to be able to sell.  What were your best sellers?

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2017 at 10:49 PM, moonshine said:

Have you tested this new batch of wax prior to making sale candles?

knowing all the soy issues going on it's very important to know how this "new" soy is going to behave 

464-415 and C3 are not anything like it was .... if you haven't tested your new lots you need to and make adjustments to ensure a safe candle going out there

464 is reported to need wicking down so that could be contributing to the sweating if it's softer in general or were the candles really cool before setting them out to where the small amount of heat caused a big temperature change?

I did MONTHS of testing with the old waxes. I did test with this new wax, but to to the extent I was doing previously. Since I "thought" I had it down. There could have been a small temperature change, but I wouldn't have thought it would be significant enough... I'm at a lost and totally worried!!

On 12/3/2017 at 11:57 PM, GailC said:

Well the name of your candle company is Melting Moon.  :)  JK....it's weird that the candles were sweating/melting when you weren't out in the sun. 

You display looks very nice.

haha!

thank you =)

Edited by ChristinaD

On 12/3/2017 at 11:24 PM, Trappeur said:

Your booth is very handsome and smart looking.  Love the black and gray color scheme.   Are those the 9oz straight wall jars?  If you don't mind me asking, what size wick did you wind up using?  I was looking at those jars just recently.

Hope you had a great show!  How so impressive you achieved such fast progress in a couple of months that you already are selling in shows!  Geesh, it took me a long long time seems forever before I felt comfortable to be able to sell.  What were your best sellers?

Trappeur

Yes, they are the 9oz straight wall jars. I am currently using Eco 10's and have had ZERO issues, until this =/ I've only been learning and experimenting since August, but its been morning, noon and night, since I quit my job to stay home with my daughter =) Also, my husband has been helping me nights and weekends. This was actually very first time selling, so I don't have any best sellers yet! But I have about 10 testers between friends, old coworkers and my husbands coworkers as well as many more  (45+) who have done "sniff tests" for us! The favorites seem to be "Sea Salt and Orchid, Egyptian Amber and Indian Sandalwood.

Egyptian Amber Candle.jpg

Sea Salt and Orchid Candle.jpg

Indian Sandalwood Candle.jpg

Edited by ChristinaD
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ChristinaD said:

I did MONTHS of testing with the old waxes. I did test with this new wax, but to to the extent I was doing previously. Since I "thought" I had it down. There could have been a small temperature change, but I wouldn't have thought it would be significant enough... I'm at a lost and totally worried!!

From everything I've read, these new batches of soy are like completely starting over. They are like completely different waxes, so, not that your old testing doesn't matter now, as you will know how your candles 'should' burn, but with the new soy, you will have to do the exhaustive testing again, unfortunately. To me, it sounds like the scent load is too much, and is coming out when exposed to the air. 

However, since I don't work with soy, this is just a guess on my part. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

From everything I've read, these new batches of soy are like completely starting over. They are like completely different waxes, so, not that your old testing doesn't matter now, as you will know how your candles 'should' burn, but with the new soy, you will have to do the exhaustive testing again, unfortunately. To me, it sounds like the scent load is too much, and is coming out when exposed to the air. 

However, since I don't work with soy, this is just a guess on my part. 

oh no!!!! I was worried I was going to get that answer!!! =( I'm only at a 6% load, but I've been able to achieve a nice strong throw with that... I think Im going to cry!! haha

5 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Beautiful display!  Sure hope you get it figured out, my guess would be a heat source since the covered ones didn't get that way.

I really really hope this is all it is!!!!! I'm so nervous I'm going to have to start over with wick testing and such....

5 minutes ago, ChristinaD said:

oh no!!!! I was worried I was going to get that answer!!! =( I'm only at a 6% load, but I've been able to achieve a nice strong throw with that... I think Im going to cry!! haha

No, don't cry!  6% is definitely not too much, especially in soy, so that must not be it. Because of the different consistency this new soy has, maybe it doesn't take much warmth at all to melt/sweat. So the lights probably does have something to do with it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

No, don't cry!  6% is definitely not too much, especially in soy, so that must not be it. Because of the different consistency this new soy has, maybe it doesn't take much warmth at all to melt/sweat. So the lights probably does have something to do with it. 

I'm hoping thats it!! It just makes me nervous that the FIRST batch I've decided to sell, may not be up to the quality that I have been making & that I want for my business! I'm hoping that it all it is!! "fingers crossed"

Edited by ChristinaD

Take some of those that you have left and burn them- take notes and see if anything has changed in the burn quality from your prior tests 

eco 10 might be too much wick now for that wax and jar, you may need a 8- most soy is burning too hot now with the changes with the exception of C3 as far as what's been reported by users of these waxes - I use 415 and have to go down 1-2 sizes of wick now 

your FO load should be fine and it sounds like a temperature change to me that caused the sweating BUT you still should  burn a few start to finish and power burn a few to be sure your okay in your wicking...last thing you want is a too hot candle out there when people don't extinguish and trim when they are supposed to 

if they are too hot you can join the rest of us soy users retesting and using our candles and testers we made before we noticed the changes for personal use 😂

Sorry it's not really funny but it kinda is....I have to laugh to not lose my mind over this, I feel real bad for the ecosoya users who are basically starting from ground zero with a completely reformulated wax that sounds impossible to work with  

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Is it happening at home as well?  All fragrances?  

GoldieMN

Yes! And It is happening at home now also. The ones with lids are now starting to sweat, but the ones with lids off are sweating the worst. These have been curing for more than 4 weeks and this is just now starting to happen, since the show. 

Can the new wax changes make it where I have to add FO at a different  temp to prevent leaking?? I add at 185.

Also I have NEVER had issues with sink holes or having to re-finish the tops with a heat gun, but I did have to do that on ALL of these. With past batches they were all truly a "one pour" and done kind of thing... can that affect it at all?

It's REALLY bad now...

534188424.jpg

534188419.jpg

Edited by ChristinaD

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

Take some of those that you have left and burn them- take notes and see if anything has changed in the burn quality from your prior tests 

eco 10 might be too much wick now for that wax and jar, you may need a 8- most soy is burning too hot now with the changes with the exception of C3 as far as what's been reported by users of these waxes - I use 415 and have to go down 1-2 sizes of wick now 

your FO load should be fine and it sounds like a temperature change to me that caused the sweating BUT you still should  burn a few start to finish and power burn a few to be sure your okay in your wicking...last thing you want is a too hot candle out there when people don't extinguish and trim when they are supposed to 

if they are too hot you can join the rest of us soy users retesting and using our candles and testers we made before we noticed the changes for personal use 😂

Sorry it's not really funny but it kinda is....I have to laugh to not lose my mind over this, I feel real bad for the ecosoya users who are basically starting from ground zero with a completely reformulated wax that sounds impossible to work with  

Would the wick effect them when they are just sitting there? They seemed to burn fine when I did some test burns....

Are you adding 6% oil to a pound of wax or did you do per each 9oz jar?

The wickig wouldn't affect them sitting there and you are adding your oil at the right temp....

I'm thinking what else could it be?

Trappeur

Y

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Are you adding 6% oil to a pound of wax or did you do per each 9oz jar?

The wickig wouldn't affect them sitting there and you are adding your oil at the right temp....

I'm thinking what else could it be?

Trappeur

Y

6% per 1 pound of wax. 

Sounds weird, but what is your calculation per batch of wax? How do you calculate the 6%?

do you keep batch records with weights and measures checked off as a double check?  Something is off.

i do remember a forum thread a few months ago about this happening to someone here. That sweat is a potential fire hazard. Have you lit one to see what happens? If someone that bought one lights it, what happens?

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

Sounds weird, but what is your calculation per batch of wax? How do you calculate the 6%?

do you keep batch records with weights and measures checked off as a double check?  Something is off.

i do remember a forum thread a few months ago about this happening to someone here. That sweat is a potential fire hazard. Have you lit one to see what happens? If someone that bought one lights it, what happens?

I calculate everything by weight. Nothings changed except the wax, these have been curing at my house for over 4 weeks, I’ve opened several times & looked at them for various reasons.. this didn’t happen until after I brought them out to the craft show... I’m stumped ...