Want to order wax but SHIPPING is crazy

Went to order some IGI 4625 and 4630 along with some 464 from Candle Science....but by the time I was ready to check out the shipping was over $100 on  $220 worth of wax (before tax)...OMG

I want to ship it to Blaine, Washington ....then I still have to pay for a shipping company to ship it to B.C.... which just happens to be the cheapest part of this whole endevor....Will I have to pay duty?...well I guess I have to prove it's made in the states to the cheery customs agents...then I can payprovincial taxes.....by the time I pay exchange on the US dollar I will have spent around 400 for a bit of wax....I think I will be making some of the most valuable candles in the world!! I have tried to buy the wax here but apparently they don't have any in stock!  All of Canada? What? Don't people burn candles up here???????

thanks Candybee...I had a look in Canada before I headed to the US... it would be over $550  Canadian before shipping for the same items (so about 429.00 US before shipping) ...not to mention they are sold out of 464 right now. Arghhh Whats a girl to do!!

Thanks Trappeur...This is the only place I can get the sympathy I feel I need right now:( I know if I told my husband he would just say " Then don't buy any " hahahah It's so hard to sneak wax into the house ....fragrances on the other hand .....

2 hours ago, Sunday said:

Went to order some IGI 4625 and 4630 along with some 464 from Candle Science....but by the time I was ready to check out the shipping was over $100 on  $220 worth of wax (before tax)...OMG

I want to ship it to Blaine, Washington ....then I still have to pay for a shipping company to ship it to B.C.... which just happens to be the cheapest part of this whole endevor....Will I have to pay duty?...well I guess I have to prove it's made in the states to the cheery customs agents...then I can payprovincial taxes.....by the time I pay exchange on the US dollar I will have spent around 400 for a bit of wax....I think I will be making some of the most valuable candles in the world!! I have tried to buy the wax here but apparently they don't have any in stock!  All of Canada? What? Don't people burn candles up here???????

Evidently Canadians burn enough candles to use up every flake of wax in your entire country.  :)

All kidding aside though, that is awful to have to pay that much for wax.  We Americans should be counting our blessings.  

I've found the cheapest place for me to buy one 50 pound case of 444 wax is from Candlewic, using their FedEx option which is a lot cheaper than UPS.  

I just ordered 2 lb of FO, some wicks, and 50 pounds of wax, plus got 50 free clamshells, and my shipping charge was $26.00.  Which I shouldn't be rubbing that in to you.  :) 

No worries Gail ....I'm like a dog with a bone...Thanks for the tip on Candlewic ..That was a fantastic shipping charge!!...they just don't carry what I need ...although if I finally switch it's a great alternative!  Living on an island makes us really creative on how to get things over here...I'll figure it out but shipping charges that are close to 50% of purchase is like getting kicked in the head....not fun!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sunday said:

No worries Gail ....I'm like a dog with a bone...Thanks for the tip on Candlewic ..That was a fantastic shipping charge!!...they just don't carry what I need ...although if I finally switch it's a great alternative!  Living on an island makes us really creative on how to get things over here...I'll figure it out but shipping charges that are close to 50% of purchase is like getting kicked in the head....not fun!

How about shipping charges that are more than the jars cost?  I've seen that before.

Yes I agree Gail...Something that looked like a good deal...turns out to be a waste of time.  

So it looks like Candle Science will ship to Blaine...and the shipping charges go lower if I purchase   200 lbs or more....but when I tried to check out I can't use a Canadian Visa even though I am shipping to a US address  :( ....so all this research was for nothing...OHHH well back to the drawing board !

5 minutes ago, Sunday said:

Yes I agree Gail...Something that looked like a good deal...turns out to be a waste of time.  

So it looks like Candle Science will ship to Blaine...and the shipping charges go lower if I purchase   200 lbs or more....but when I tried to check out I can't use a Canadian Visa even though I am shipping to a US address  :( ....so all this research was for nothing...OHHH well back to the drawing board !

Can you call them? Maybe they have a way of taking the Visa over the phone. Just a suggestion, as I have no idea if they can or not, but it's better than missing out if they can... 

See if you can use dropshipping.

Call FedEx, they usually beat any price over the phone instead of on their site. You can have it picked up from Candlescience warehouse in Reno.

And wax, I always order 50lb x 4 at a time to get the shipping down. Just ordering one lump doesn't make sense. I live in Los Angeles and we don't have many choices here in California when it comes to wax.

Well here's the update! ..So I did some math and after exchange rates and shipping it's still less expensive to order from Candle Science (apparently wax is just way more expensive here)...I talked to CS an they now accept paypal...so no more worries about a Canadian credit cards not being accepted...now I hope that  I don't have to pay duty...I shouldn't if its made in the US...I think? Thanks for all the tips Everyone! I am going to call fedex tomorrow Strugglebrother. ...And yes I checked out closer suppliers Kerven but they just didn't have what I need...... I really like the folks at CS and the fellow I spoke to on the phone was really helpful so I'm just going to bite the bullet and order a wack all at once:D...but first a visit to a customs broker and Canada customs...Just to make sure it will all go smoothly.....Not like the time I ordered 1000 jars from SKS *shudder*

• Like 1

thanks Flicker I will have a look at their site :D ...Turns out I can add another $100 to bring it across the border and then top it off wit BC sales tax wow...I think I will sit down tomorrow and figure out how much a candle will cost me to make....

• Like 1

How close are you to the US border?  Here in Niagara Falls NY we have a place you can send to their address and you cross the border and you take across the border to Canada.  Don't know what customs would cost you but maybe save some money

That was what I was thinking Nancy-Jo. I have used a bonded carrier many times ....but since the wax weighs so much it costs an additional $100 for them to bring across the boarder...then provincial taxes on top...Still considering it though. I live on an island and that makes it a bit of a hassle to get to the boarder although I can do it! You know where THERES A WOMAN & A WILL..THERES A WAY !!...I did contact  CanWax in eastern Canada but all the reviews I read didn't leave me feeling super confident....Plan B...I contacted Wicks&wax in Vancouver and asked if they could get the wax for me...it's not something they usually carry although they have other items from same supplier...that would be great if it worked out.......then its just the cost of the ferries to go there and pick up ($100 each way)...hoping they can ship for less.

But when all is said and done I think Candle Science is a trusted company...with great review...I could order a few fragrances to go along with my wax shippment...and just not worry about the added cost,...The best part is.. I'm not in a rush for a change!

• Like 1

Sunday, after reading these posts I feel horrible for you.  The only suggestion I could think of if it was me is if there are limited suppliers in Canada such as there is, I would work with the ones available, choose a wax or waxe(s) and experiment with all of them till I found one I was fairly happy with and "make" that wax work for me.  Surely if these waxes are available and they sell they have to be somewhat good?   I would think that.  I wouldn't and (I COULDN'T) ever afford to put that type of money into shipping.

Why can you not do that?  Where there is a will, there is a way.......surely there has to be.

On another note....living on an island?  Gosh would love to hear more about that!  You been there a long time?  Is it your own island or a lot of people live there?  You have to take a ferry to get there?    So many questions....sorry..just so interesting this subject sounds!

Good luck...I truly wish you well.

Trappeur

On 12/4/2017 at 9:33 AM, Sunday said:

That was what I was thinking Nancy-Jo. I have used a bonded carrier many times ....but since the wax weighs so much it costs an additional $100 for them to bring across the boarder...then provincial taxes on top...Still considering it though. I live on an island and that makes it a bit of a hassle to get to the boarder although I can do it! You know where THERES A WOMAN & A WILL..THERES A WAY !!...I did contact  CanWax in eastern Canada but all the reviews I read didn't leave me feeling super confident....Plan B...I contacted Wicks&wax in Vancouver and asked if they could get the wax for me...it's not something they usually carry although they have other items from same supplier...that would be great if it worked out.......then its just the cost of the ferries to go there and pick up ($100 each way)...hoping they can ship for less.

But when all is said and done I think Candle Science is a trusted company...with great review...I could order a few fragrances to go along with my wax shippment...and just not worry about the added cost,...The best part is.. I'm not in a rush for a change!

I gotta hand it to you. You are an enigma Sunday! You keep on going even with all the obstacles you come across. I am really impressed. Hoping you get things worked out. Keep us posted!

Sunday, have you tried Flaming Candle for what ever you want?  They have pretty much all the same things CS does.... They are my main supplier.  What I especially love about them is that when they ship to save on shipping and not going in separate boxes and having all these extra charges, they will put my box of wax in another bigger box (double boxed) and in the same box they will put all my oils, lids, and other things and it is a huge savings let me tell you.  I do use CS as I love them but I find their shipping expensive and they will not combine things like Flaming does.  It's certainly worth a shot to give them a call?  Great customer service...I'd give them a call.   Was just a suggestion....

Trappeur

On 11/28/2017 at 10:44 AM, Sunday said:

I use Canwax in Ontario...and Village Craft and Candle..they are both real good suppliers.  You also have a couple of suppliers in BC, but not sure which waxes they carry.  I've ordered supplies from the US, and the duty, and $$$ exchange is a killer. Never order wax from there but I would assume the shipping would be a killer.  Shipping from Ontario to BC should be more reasonable...I think?