Let's talk insurance for sellers of only wax melts

Barefootgirl

I've looked into insurance but wanted some others to chime in. My first question is when did you or do you feel is the time to purchase it...before your first sale or once established? If once established what do you consider "established? Next question what can someone claim as damages from your wax melt? Keep in mind this is the only item being sold so no body care or wicked candles etc. I understand it's good for covering your work space and materials but on a stand point of being sued by others what's the chances more less? 

Before your first sale. 

We live in a litigious society, and let's say you sold this melt to someone who let it sit on the table. Their dog ate it and got sick. This person is a sue happy person who happens to have a son-in-law that is a lawyer. What do you think is going to happen? 

I mean, 99.9% chance, that will not happen, but do you not want to be covered if that .01% chance does happen? I wouldn't want to take that chance as slim as it is. 

43 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Before your first sale. 

We live in a litigious society, and let's say you sold this melt to someone who let it sit on the table. Their dog ate it and got sick. This person is a sue happy person who happens to have a son-in-law that is a lawyer. What do you think is going to happen? 

I mean, 99.9% chance, that will not happen, but do you not want to be covered if that .01% chance does happen? I wouldn't want to take that chance as slim as it is. 

Great perspective. That's good insight and glad you chimed in. I would never of thought of that scenario. 

Also, when you buy insurance you are not just covering product liability. You will be covering product loss or damage and place of business. If you sell at a farmer's market or craft show and someone trips in your booth you are covered. What happens if your tent blows away in the wind or is damaged in a storm? Don't think that a friend or relative is immune to suing you. It happens! There are venues that won't take you if you don't have proof of insurance and some even require an additional insured waiver for themselves on top of proof of insurance. Even if you only sell online its always a good thing to have insurance because anonymous people can be more litigious. There are lots of reasons to get insurance! You should have it in place before your first sale!

Forgot to add if you make your melts at home that is also your place of business. FOs and wax are flammable if they reach their flash point. Again, if you operate a business out of your home there are many reasons to have insurance. Be careful when looking if you already own a home your homeowners insurance may drop you if you try to get insurance from them and they find out you are melting wax in your home. It's happened to chandlers before.

Edited by Candybee