Can we safely use FOs in our laundry?

Darbla

Because I make up fabric softener from hair conditioner, vinegar & water, I never really have a strong scent that sticks to clothing for a while.  I miss having that clean type of scent wafting up around me all day but I've been making up softener like that because it's cheaper than the commercial stuff.  So I was wondering if there was a way to add a few drops of FO to a load in the dryer without creating a fire hazard or staining the clothing (because after all, an FO is an oil)?  We don't generally have access to the fixatives that are probably in commercial preparations but maybe I can make use of some of the FOs I already have.

Or maybe I can make sachets to tuck in between clothes that are hanging and in the bedding?  I'd still worry that some oil would get off onto the bedding, though.  I also thought about a cotton ball in my bra but that seems more like something you'd do for perfume.

Barring a way to use some FOs like that, what is your favorite laundry softener?  I may just need to give in and go back to that if I want those nice scents in my clothes.

Edited by Darbla

Hiya, 

52 minutes ago, Darbla said:

Because I make up fabric softener from hair conditioner, vinegar & water, I never really have a strong scent that sticks to clothing for a while.  I miss having that clean type of scent wafting up around me all day but I've been making up softener like that because it's cheaper than the commercial stuff.  So I was wondering if there was a way to add a few drops of FO to a load in the dryer without creating a fire hazard or staining the clothing (because after all, an FO is an oil)?  We don't generally have access to the fixatives that are probably in commercial preparations but maybe I can make use of some of the FOs I already have.

Or maybe I can make sachets to tuck in between clothes that are hanging and in the bedding?  I'd still worry that some oil would get off onto the bedding, though.  I also thought about a cotton ball in my bra but that seems more like something you'd do for perfume.

Barring a way to use some FOs like that, what is your favorite laundry softener?  I may just need to give in and go back to that if I want those nice scents in my clothes.

We all KNOW I'm Mr. BAD IDEAS over here, but if you're putting already putting hair conditioner into your wash a smidge more of some EO (ETA: or FO's)  ain't really gonna make a significant contribution the dingy-grays (which if we're being honest about it is really what we're afraid of). Someone else might have some more SANE input, but I'd just add up to max IFRA rinse out usage (or Category 9... Yeah, why not, soap usage rate'll be fine...) to the (I'm gonna be VERY SPECIFIC) total volume of the conditioner ONLY. <---- That BOLD stuff is IMPORTANT

Here let me do that again... 
NO MORE THAN THE IFRA CATEGORY 9 USAGE RATE TO THE CONDITIONER WEIGHT/VOLUME ONLY...   

E.g.: If your formulation calls for 100 ml of Conditioner and the IFRA usage rate in category 9 for your EO or FO is 3% You're going to add 3 ml to the mix.

Don't think that because your final product is 1000 ml you can go adding in 30 ml of EO 'cause you ain't gonna be a happy camper... (I'm just SAY'n...)  

Oh, um, and again... THIS is just me (and I'm a guy), but I wouldn't be stick'n no cotton balls soaked, dropped, dripped, dunked, dabbed, or otherwise imbued or infused with essential or fragrance oils into intimate contact with MY naughty bits...

But HEY! If that works for you... I certainly won't judge you.  (I will want to hear ALL about it though)

HTH, 

Sponiebr 
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

Edited by Sponiebr
It's UP there... I was HONEST about it...

I took an old sock, knotted it into a tight ball, and put a few drops of Snow Flurries in the middle of it.  Hopefully that will safely diffuse the scent but keep the oil off the rest of the laundry.  I'm trying it on bed sheets right now.  I didn't think to check for skin safe before I did this, but I used so little it won't be an issue for me (no super sensitive skin issues here) and I can rewash the load if I think it's going to be a bother.  I'll remember that next time.

Would a body spray base work as a linen spray?  Maybe skin safe = cloth safe?

Edited by Darbla

I've tried to scent homemade laundry soap with both EO's and FO's, but the scent never comes through the wash.  As an alternative, if I want to freshen something up, I just spray a few pumps of my room spray into the dryer with the clothes and let it tumble a bit.  That usually works pretty well.  I use the air freshener/body spray base from The Candlemaker's Store.  It's the best I've tried, and with the right FO it is a real powerhouse.  My daughter loves it so much she just spritzes a little on her clothes when she puts them on in the morning.  I also use sachets made with cellulose fiber and lavender FO.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I've tried to scent homemade laundry soap with both EO's and FO's, but the scent never comes through the wash.  As an alternative, if I want to freshen something up, I just spray a few pumps of my room spray into the dryer with the clothes and let it tumble a bit.  That usually works pretty well.  I use the air freshener/body spray base from The Candlemaker's Store.  It's the best I've tried, and with the right FO it is a real powerhouse.  My daughter loves it so much she just spritzes a little on her clothes when she puts them on in the morning.  I also use sachets made with cellulose fiber and lavender FO.  

What FO 's do you find have worked best with that base ?

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

What FO 's do you find have worked best with that base ?

Most scents I've put in it work well.  I don't use any yellowish FO's for obvious reasons.  My favorites at the moment are White Tea & Berries from CS, True Lavender (I''m still using True Lavender from Tennessee) and Pine Bough & Apple from Aztec.   Pretty much all the laundry type scents I've tried work well.  Cotton Tree (CS), Basil Sage & Mint (Flaming), Clean Green (RE), Rain Water (CS) are a few others I like.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darbla I make the same fabric softener for my clothes to put in with the wash. I use a combo of CS Lavender and CS Clean Cotton at 50/50% directly in my fabric softener. For a large half gallon container I add about 3-4 oz of FO or until it smells strong enough for me. I love this scent combo because it makes my clothes smell so fresh and clean. Some day I have to remember to buy the Gain FO. I think FB has it?

PS - it really does make my clothes smell fresh and clean even after they have gone through the dryer the scent still sticks. I don't have a problem with any dingyness. Maybe because the laundry detergent I make is a combo of Oxyclean, borax, and washing soda. I used to use soap shreds and those caused dingyness, but the Oxyclean works great and my clothes come out fluffy, stain free, and really clean. I had to start making my own laundry detergent because all of the commercial ones gave my horrible painful skin rashes.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I have a spray bottle full of vinegar with a little bit of FO mixed in that I spray on my laundry when I put it in the dryer. It's about 8oz of vinegar with just a few drops of FO. I shake it up before I spray it. 

I haven't noticed any problems, but it's such a tiny bit of oil. My clothes don't smell strongly of the fragrance when they come out, but I'm with TT, I don't like heavily fragranced clothes. I feel like it's just enough to freshen them a bit. 

6 hours ago, Candybee said:

Darbla I make the same fabric softener for my clothes to put in with the wash. I use a combo of CS Lavender and CS Clean Cotton at 50/50% directly in my fabric softener. For a large half gallon container I add about 3-4 oz of FO or until it smells strong enough for me. I love this scent combo because it makes my clothes smell so fresh and clean. Some day I have to remember to buy the Gain FO. I think FB has it?

PS - it really does make my clothes smell fresh and clean even after they have gone through the dryer the scent still sticks. I don't have a problem with any dingyness. Maybe because the laundry detergent I make is a combo of Oxyclean, borax, and washing soda. I used to use soap shreds and those caused dingyness, but the Oxyclean works great and my clothes come out fluffy, stain free, and really clean. I had to start making my own laundry detergent because all of the commercial ones gave my horrible painful skin rashes.

Candy would you mind sharing the recipes for the detergent and softener . My family also gets skin

rashes I'd love to try these . 

Happy thanksgiving 🍁 

16 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Candy would you mind sharing the recipes for the detergent and softener . My family also gets skin

rashes I'd love to try these . 

Happy thanksgiving 🍁 

Not at all. Here it is:

Laundry Detergent:

This is a dry mix, the Oxyclean box has a measuring cup in it I save and use for measuring my deteregent)

1 part - Oxyclean

1 part - Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

1 part - Borateem Borax

Simply mix all the dry ingredients together in a large plastic container and you are ready to go. Very small loads I use 1/4 cup detergent, for large loads I use 1/2 cup.

Fabric Softener:

2 parts - Hair conditioner (I use VO5, the cream colored one for fuller hair)

3 parts - White Vinegar

6 parts - Water

I use an empty 1 gallon plastic milk jug and make enough to fill it. I add FO in with the fabric softener at 3.5 - 4oz for a gallon. I use about 1/2 cup fabric softener in my wash for regular loads. I double that for extra large loads. I add the fabric softener in at the beginning before it starts the wash cycle while the washer is filling with water.

FO Blend:

1 part - CS Lavender

1 part - CS Clean Cotton

I know I posted earlier that I used 3-4 oz FO for 64oz of fabric softener but I realize that was an error. It is 3.5 - 4oz FO per gallon!! That is what I use anyway and my clothes smell great! and the towels and stuff come out fluffy. Just make sure you use hair conditioner that gives hair 'fullness' because that is the only one that makes my laundry softer and fluffier.

Edited by Candybee