Bittercreek's shipping charges...Yikes! NG's shipping...Speedy!.

GailC

Bittercreek has a great deal on surplus blue tumblers.  Now I don't need any blue tumblers, but the price was amazing.  I put 2 cases in my cart, 48 jars, and the shipping was $49!!  So much for that good deal. I refuse to pay over a $1.00 per jar for shipping.  I've had a few FO's in my cart there for awhile, but have never ordered.  The FO's didn't raise the shipping but a couple of dollars, but still.  I'm used to paying exorbitant shipping charges for jars and wax, but this amount takes the cake.  

On a happier note, I've been trying to wait until Black Friday to place all my orders, but I have a bazaar coming up and need wicks fast.  Well, I'm getting them fast.  I ordered from Nature's Garden yesterday morning, and my order will be here today!!!  I love Nature's Garden. :)  Oh, and the shipping for 5 pounds of FO and 2 packs of wicks was $10.13.  Their shipping is very reasonable for FO's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lana said:

Just want to chime in and agree that NG has very reasonable shipping. It's too bad I'm not in love with a lot of their FOs. They're fine, I just like FC and RE more, with the exception of a good handful or two. 

I do like a bunch of NG's fragrance oils, and some are customer favorites.  I'm not in love with Eucalyptus & Spearmint, but boy is it a good seller!  I had to order more of it and Tinsel, another popular scent.

I got 4 new ones today, 2 to replace the same fragrance from other suppliers, Home Sweet Home and Mulberry.  They smell virtually the same as the ones I have OOB, which is good.  Mulberry from NG has the exact scent description as Aztec's.  

The other two new ones  are Apples & Oak and Hot Cocoa.  Both smell very nice OOB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Y'know @GailC I was just thinking about this general issue with our online suppliers. I think I'll start a rant on this... 

Well, I got the ball rolling for ya...rant away.  :)

Really though, I was just so flabbergasted that the shipping for 4 dozen jars was $49.00.  Believe me, I'm used to paying more for shipping than for the jars I'm ordering; but I was disappointed in this amount.I don't usually rant about suppliers, but I really wanted those blue jars...why I don't know, but I did.  

Bittercreek uses speedy to me. I never know what the charge really is as it is not disclosed on the order page... I select whatever rate appears the best from the list , not knowing if speedy is making them $ or not. It's weird. Thankfully I can get what I need elsewhere usually.

i agree with the Ng comments above. They have a large base and have negotiated great shipping volume rates, but I just don't love their scents. They never sold well for me in person. The biggest complaints and hostile customer hassles through etsy I've had were using their oils. It nearly made me close up shop the people were so ruthless. I was accused in one-star reviews of using "bottom of the barrel" scents for the one or two that I kept because I had a few big bottles to use up. Never, EVER  again. 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Bittercreek uses speedy to me. I never know what the charge really is as it is not disclosed on the order page... I select whatever rate appears the best from the list , not knowing if speedy is making them $ or not. It's weird. Thankfully I can get what I need elsewhere usually.

i agree with the Ng comments above. They have a large base and have negotiated great shipping volume rates, but I just don't love their scents. They never sold well for me in person. The biggest complaints and hostile customer hassles through etsy I've had were using their oils. It nearly made me close up shop the people were so ruthless. I was accused in one-star reviews of using "bottom of the barrel" scents for the one or two that I kept because I had a few big bottles to use up. Never, EVER  again. 

Isn't it amazing what differences of opinions we have on fragrance oils...across the board, not just Nature's Garden?

Out of the 50 or so FO's I've bought there, only 3 or 4 have been complete duds for me.  Now a few, I haven't put in wax yet, but I like them out of the bottle.  Some of my best sellers are from Nature's Garden as well. 

3 hours ago, GailC said:

Isn't it amazing what differences of opinions we have on fragrance oils...across the board, not just Nature's Garden?

Out of the 50 or so FO's I've bought there, only 3 or 4 have been complete duds for me.  Now a few, I haven't put in wax yet, but I like them out of the bottle.  Some of my best sellers are from Nature's Garden as well. 

The last straw was strawberry milkshake. I used it in deodorant and got the most horrid complaints. Beyond rude. “vomitous” was one person’s memorable description. 🤬 another was so rude I had to appeal to etsy to have the comments removed. That scent cost me a lot LOT of $$. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

The last straw was strawberry milkshake. I used it in deodorant and got the most horrid complaints. Beyond rude. “vomitous” was one person’s memorable description. 🤬 another was so rude I had to appeal to etsy to have the comments removed. That scent cost me a lot LOT of $$. 

No wonder you don't like Nature's Garden!  I will be sure to stay away from Strawberry Milkshake.  :) 

58 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I've had just the opposite with NG,  but it's all in where you live in relation to the supplier's warehouse.    Bittercreek same thing plus their customer service is stinky. 

I  live in central Indiana and Nature's Garden is in northern Ohio, so yes, I'm sure that helps!

I've never ordered from Bittercreek yet; maybe I dodged a bullet.  Sure don't need to add another supplier to my long list.  :) 

On 11/21/2017 at 8:35 AM, GailC said:

Bittercreek has a great deal on surplus blue tumblers.  Now I don't need any blue tumblers, but the price was amazing.  I put 2 cases in my cart, 48 jars, and the shipping was $49!!  So much for that good deal. I refuse to pay over a $1.00 per jar for shipping.  I've had a few FO's in my cart there for awhile, but have never ordered.  The FO's didn't raise the shipping but a couple of dollars, but still.  I'm used to paying exorbitant shipping charges for jars and wax, but this amount takes the cake.  

On a happier note, I've been trying to wait until Black Friday to place all my orders, but I have a bazaar coming up and need wicks fast.  Well, I'm getting them fast.  I ordered from Nature's Garden yesterday morning, and my order will be here today!!!  I love Nature's Garden. :)  Oh, and the shipping for 5 pounds of FO and 2 packs of wicks was $10.13.  Their shipping is very reasonable for FO's.

Gail,

Its worse then listed. I once put an order in for those blue tumblers. I figured I could suck up the shipping some, if I added other items to my order to justify it. I placed the order and received a call two days later asking if I wanted to accept and pay for new shipping charges, because of how heavy the items were? Umm no, thats not what they advertised, nor what I originally paid for. Needless to say, they didn't receive my business. I'm guessing they are charging extra in shipping in order to account for their losses on the blue jars?

Edited by FB157

8 hours ago, FB157 said:

Gail,

Its worse then listed. I once put an order in for those blue tumblers. I figured I could suck up the shipping some, if I added other items to my order to justify it. I placed the order and received a call two days later asking if I wanted to accept and pay for new shipping charges, because of how heavy the items were? Umm no, thats not what they advertised, nor what I originally paid for. Needless to say, they didn't receive my business. I'm guessing they are charging extra in shipping in order to account for their losses on the blue jars?

Oh my goodness, I never heard of a company doing that.  I just bought 15 dozen jars last night and the shipping was about $67.00.  That is bad, but not nearly as bad as $50 for 4 dozen!  I always add the price of the jars plus shipping and divide by number of jars for price of each jar.  Those blue tumblers weren't a bargain anymore after I did that.  :) 

I also play around with number of cases and shipping charges to get the best deal.  I kept adding cases last night. At 16 dozen jars, the shipping jumped all the was up to $85.00!  So back to 15 dozen.  :)  

The issue I've sensed with NG is how perfumey their scents are, but that's not necessarily bad.  Cracklin' Birch is a scent I love and my sis-in-law loves, but in a way it reminds us of cleaning supplies.  Only better, because it smells clean but not the usual lavender and citrus that most of us associate with cleaning chemicals.  I love one they have called Fountain of Youth, but again it has a very perfumey (could be called fake chemically) essence to it.  Because I've detected this in several of their scents, I won't even buy foodie FOs from them.  If you're expecting Strawberry Milkshake and you get hit with a face full of floor cleaner, I can see that being vomit-inducing.

Just expect theirs to be scents you might enjoy in your laundry and home and not in your mouth and you might enjoy them. :D 

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2017 at 10:48 PM, FB157 said:

Gail,

That happened to me when I was ordering jars from anchor hocking.  supposed to be free shipping over $100, so I ordered a bunch.  Waited and waited weeks, thinking my order was ggonna come any day.  Finally got an e mail saying they wanted to charge big bucks for shipping as this was a "heavier" item.  NOPE! and no more anchor hocking for me!!

• Like 1

I find that nature's garden is really good for me when it comes to some niche preferences. Most of their FO's with incense themed names actually do smell like the sort of typical incense you will find in the racks of stores like the local stoner shops and such, or at the Renaissance Festival. That sort of scent is pretty dear to my nostalgic heart, and there are plenty of people who also like it. However, for every person who swoons over a powdery incense stick smell, there are many more people who think it smells just awful or very cheap. Because well it is the smell of cheap incense haha. But sometimes that is exactly what I want for myself, or exactly what I need to make something for someone else. Again I think it is very nostalgia related. For someone who didn't grow up on designer fragrances, but grew up going to their local head shop for incense sticks/cones and the like, I think for many a sort of nostalgic fondness grows from that, and it doesn't matter if it is a "cheap" smell, it still smells like their adolescence or other fond memories. If someone wants something made to smell like sandalwood, for example, I always ask them outright, "What does sandalwood smell like to you?" and if they mention "incense" anywhere in their answer, I know that nature's garden will have my hook up. It is different compared to say a company like bulk apothecary where their blending styles seem to heavily favor earthy, sharp and bold. So if someone is heavily emphasizing earthy and woodsy in their answer, then I know that's not a case for nature's garden. I like having the options.