Using a melter with pour pitchers

I'm having issues with temperature as I melt wax (parasoy blend) in a Presto pot, and pour into a room temp (standard metal) pour pitcher.  The wax is at 185 in the Presto, but as it hits the room temp pour pitchers, it cools down to about 140 right away.  I prefer to add FO and color in the pour pitcher so the Presto can just keep pure wax at 185.  Easier transitions and cleanup that way.  But adding FO at 140 in the pitcher is no good.  And by the time FO is stirred in for a couple minutes, the temp drops even more.  Well under a good pour temp.  How have you maintained temp going from a melter into a pour pot?  I never see larger productions warming their pitchers - how do bigger shops do it?

(new to forums... be gentle)

Most that use the metal pour pitchers also use warming plates to keep the pitchers warm prior to pouring wax in and also can keep wax on it while you work until you're ready to cool enough for pouring into containers.  I switched to glass pour pots a while back and warm them in the microwave prior to adding fo and wax

• Like 1

Griddle here too. I heat up my griddle about 5-10 minutes before I start pouring wax into my pour pots. I also keep my pour pots warming on the griddle before I pour wax into them so the wax temp won't go down. Works like a charm. I can keep the wax warm in the pour pot while I add my FO and dye. I work with palm wax which is a wax you have to work with at very high temps.

Got mine for about $20 at Walmart about 10 yrs ago. Still running great. Its a Sunbeam flat griddle top. I can get 4 large pour pots on the top. The temp goes up to about 450 I think but I set it around 300. You will have to play with the heat to find the right setting if you get one. The temp will depend on your wax. Keep a candy thermometer in the pour pot and after you make candles a couple of times you will have a better idea how high to set the temp for your wax.

Here is a pic of mine. Using it in this pic to level a pillar. 

I can't remember where I got mine, but it sounds exactly like the one Candy described. But mine is closer to 20 years old, because I got it before we bought out house, which we've lived in going on 18 years now. And it still works GREAT...

griddle.jpg.56dd79b59e13bc4028effb0937132c83.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

Here is a pic of mine. Using it in this pic to level a pillar. 

I can't remember where I got mine, but it sounds exactly like the one Candy described. But mine is closer to 20 years old, because I got it before we bought out house, which we've lived in going on 18 years now. And it still works GREAT...

This looks like one of the first electric fry pans!  Mine was avocado green.  Hmmmm. . .wonder what I did with that. 

GoldieMN

If you visit thrift stores, you can usually find an old griddle or electric fry pan. I got mine for $3!  I also keep an eye out for glass coffee pots to use as pouring pots, plastic spoons to stir, etc.  I also got a large pot to use as my double boiler for $4.

13 minutes ago, Velma said:

If you visit thrift stores, you can usually find an old griddle or electric fry pan. I got mine for $3!  I also keep an eye out for glass coffee pots to use as pouring pots, plastic spoons to stir, etc.  I also got a large pot to use as my double boiler for $4.

Okay, I want to make sure of this. . .glass coffee pots. . .they will not explode if they get to 190 degrees or so?  

GoldieMN