Rose Geranium

Candybee

Anyone know a good place to buy it that doesn't require me to take out a loan to buy it? I used to buy it at SMR for a really great price. It was the best and smelled just like a box full of red roses. Plain geranium won't work. It must be rose geranium. I tried the bourbon geranium and it just is no where near the same as the rose.

Any ideas? Thanks.

15 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I just bought the rose geranium FO from AHRE. It is pretty nice. I will soap it to be sure. The one I had before was from lebermouth.  There was debate if it was FO or eo. 

Let me know how it soaps. I would be interested.

I use the rose geranium with gypsy rose FO to make rose scented soap. I have tried other geraniums and they simply don't work. Plus, the addition to adding rose geranium to the gypsy rose makes the deep red rose scent really pop. Every other combo I have tried just doesn't smell the same or sell the same. Everyone loves my rose soap, its a big seller for me so I have to try.

How in the world did SMR sell their rose geranium at such a low price?!! Every place I can find it its about $30-40 dollars for 2 ounces and over $130 for a lb. Yikes! SMR was no where near that price. How did they do it?!!!

Edited by Candybee

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

I found some at Essential Depot that is diluted with jojoba oil. I think I will order some to try out. http://www.essentialdepot.com/product/EDILU-4OZ-ROSEGER-5DIL.html

At a 5% dilution rate that’s not even a quarter of an ounce in at 4 ounce bottle. Might be cheaper just to buy a quarter of an ounce of the real essential oil.

On 11/13/2017 at 5:52 PM, Candybee said:

Anyone know a good place to buy it that doesn't require me to take out a loan to buy it? I used to buy it at SMR for a really great price. It was the best and smelled just like a box full of red roses. Plain geranium won't work. It must be rose geranium. I tried the bourbon geranium and it just is no where near the same as the rose.

Any ideas? Thanks.

A loan? lol, lol.....

Trappeur

If it doesn't have to be an EO and you are looking for a pure Rose scent, (not something that smells like an old lady perfume, but an actual red rose from a garden) look into Keystone's Peak fragrances and find Rose Bouquet. Best truest rose I've ever found. 

• Like 2

I'm familiar with Peak's Rose Bouquet and have used it for candles years ago. It is truly a lovely deep red rose scent. But have not tried it in CP. I may have to get a sample to try out. But I have found that a combo of a good rose FO with a good rose geranium EO makes a soap with an intense rose scent. Trust me customers know the difference. Get it right and the soap flies off the shelf, get it wrong and its a hard sell, soap just sits and gathers dust. So it is important to me to find the right EO.

Well the Rose Geranium from ED arrived. While it smell okay it also smells diluted, weak, like I don't get the full "bouquet" of the scent. So I won't be using it. I knew it was diluted but I had to try.

So far, the best replacement for SMR's is Camden-Grey's Egyptian Geranium. I do believe that rose geranium is the same as egyptian since the ones I have been getting are from Egypt. But not all rose/egyptian geraniums smell the same. SMR's was the bomb and I really wish I could find one as perfect as that one.

34 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I'm familiar with Peak's Rose Bouquet and have used it for candles years ago. It is truly a lovely deep red rose scent. But have not tried it in CP. I may have to get a sample to try out. But I have found that a combo of a good rose FO with a good rose geranium EO makes a soap with an intense rose scent. Trust me customers know the difference. Get it right and the soap flies off the shelf, get it wrong and its a hard sell, soap just sits and gathers dust. So it is important to me to find the right EO.

Peaks Rose soaps like a dream and sticks. I have a few bars from a few years ago that I have on the bottom, and back of my curing racks, and when I pull them out it's as if I just made them, the scent is still so true. 

It doesn't morph, it doesn't accelerate (in fact in my recipe it actually decelerates trace) and it doesn't discolor. For a floral rose FO, I'm actually really impressed with it. 

• Like 1

That's good to know. I want to give it a try. I may end up subbing it for my gypsy rose. The gypsy rose is a perfect dupe of the original MW one except that FB's version accelerates which is a pain. I really miss MW's because it soaped like a dream with no acceleration.

Just now, Candybee said:

That's good to know. I want to give it a try. I may end up subbing it for my gypsy rose. The gypsy rose is a perfect dupe of the original MW one except that FB's version accelerates which is a pain. I really miss MW's because it soaped like a dream with no acceleration.

Would PFO bring it in on a special buy? Usually if there's enough interest it will be considered.

Who knows. But I have no idea who made MW's version and even if I did I would not be interested in a special buy unless I could afford to buy in a large volume which I can't do for FOs. I typically buy in 1 lb increments.

On top of that how do I know it would be the MW's version and not a dupe? I would not know unless I tested it and don't think I want to do that for a special buy.

Edited by Candybee

56 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Who knows. But I have no idea who made MW's version and even if I did I would not be interested in a special buy unless I could afford to buy in a large volume which I can't do for FOs. I typically buy in 1 lb increments.

On top of that how do I know it would be the MW's version and not a dupe? I would not know unless I tested it and don't think I want to do that for a special buy.

Candy elements sensuous black rose is identical to moonworks gypsy rose 

I could not tell a difference at all between the 2 and her pinion pine was identical to CS mistletoe 

58 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Candy elements sensuous black rose is identical to moonworks gypsy rose 

I could not tell a difference at all between the 2 and her pinion pine was identical to CS mistletoe 

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the sensuous black rose and didn't like it. It did not smell the same to me.

17 hours ago, moonshine said:

Really....😂 🤣 Just goes to show all sniffers are not made alike...I couldn't tell them apart 

That's probably because when you use it in CP soap the lye can effect the scent. Once I soaped it it smelled like cheap rose scented soap and I couldn't give it away. Actually, I ended up selling it at half price and gave away the last couple bars I had just to get rid of it. Live and learn.

Now I use the gypsy rose and it smells perfect in the soap. Its just that it accelerates but I have learned to work with it. But that doesn't mean I can't keep looking for a FO that doesn't A.