Hello! Glad to be among peers.

thebohochick

What's your name? My name is Cheryl Ann Shipman. Most people call me "Cheryl" but I prefer "Cheryl Ann" for some reason, lol.

How old are you? 60 Feels so weird to say that! I knew it would happen but then it did.

Where do you live? Just outside of Asheville, NC. Deep in the mountains.

How long have you been making candles/soap/whatever? Soap for probably 6 or 8 years. Dabbled in making candles in the beginning, too, but didn't like it then. Now I love making candles and that is my business focus now.

How did you get started making candles/soap/whatever? I love making everything!

Are you married? Any kids? Yes, second husband (love of my life.) Two of my own and four of his - so six in total even though one has passed.

If candle/Soap making isn't your primary job, what do you do? It is my primary business.

Anything else we should know? Hippie at heart.

Nice to meet you Cheryl Ann and welcome.  There are a few others here on the forum who are not that far from you.  I'm not  that far from you over in

Cherry Log, Georgia.  Ashville is a gorgeous old town.  What town are you in?

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

Welcome to Craft Server!

We should start a club for those of us who are in our 60's! I just turned 65 but still think I am in my 30s. My body says otherwise! LOL

Your story about soap and candles reminded me I started out making candles and now I am focusing on soap as the main core of my biz. I still make candles but only during the fall/holiday season so I have some now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Candybee said:

Welcome to Craft Server!

We should start a club for those of us who are in our 60's! I just turned 65 but still think I am in my 30s. My body says otherwise! LOL

Your story about soap and candles reminded me I started out making candles and now I am focusing on soap as the main core of my biz. I still make candles but only during the fall/holiday season so I have some now.

Does the US gov't start paying you when you reach 65?  I am now on the Cdn Government payout lol... In Canada they keep raising the child benefit....but not the Pension... I'm trying to talk my wife into having some more kids to take the monetary advantage!! lol.. Oh god no!!  *shudder*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Candybee! Yes, we should start a club. But not call it the over 60 crowd, lol. Maybe "Hippies at Heart" or something like that? I really love making candles because I can be much freer with the scents. I always felt like the soap should be simpler, one fragrance I think. Starting this business is a great creative outlet for me and I would dearly love to see it grow to the point my husband could semi-retire and do it with me! That is a major goal of mine.

• Like 1

Hi Cheryl Ann....yep, you're from the south all right.  :)  

I have an Aunt Betty Jean, and cousins Eva Kay and Verna Jean, just to name a few.  I'm a Hoosier born and raised, but my folks came from Kentucky where every other person goes by 2 names.  

I started making candles at the young age of 58 as a hobby, never dreaming what my 'hobby' would evolve into, mostly thanks to Facebook.  I can be a senior member of your club as I am 66 now....but I've never been a hippie, at heart or otherwise.  :) 

I'm so glad I found this forum way back in 2009 when I first ventured into the art of candle/soap making.

• Like 1

Speaking of the over 60 club...we all come from the Hippie age group??  and I have noticed a FO oil available at some suppliers in the US..Mary Jane, Pot, whatever you want to call it...not able to find it in Canada.. Has anybody used this FO for sale, and if so, what's the reaction, and does it really smell like Pot???   Maybe not the right thread...but just curious.

• Like 1

Hello Kandlekrazy! Yes, I have been known as "The Boho Chick" for like the last 15 years or so, lol. Bohemian is a bit more politically correct than Hippie is for some reason and Boho is the nickname for Bohemian. I think Bohemian is a bit more romantic sounding than Hippie is.... but they are similar in connotation I think. 

Hi Gary! Yes, I've wondered that myself. Seems like having that scent linger in your home or office would lead to trouble.... just saying, lol. Candles are used to disperse that scent normally I would think? But I do know a couple of people (or more) that would enjoy the heck out of it, if only for nostalgic reasons.

12 minutes ago, thebohochick said:

Hello Kandlekrazy! Yes, I have been known as "The Boho Chick" for like the last 15 years or so, lol. Bohemian is a bit more politically correct than Hippie is for some reason and Boho is the nickname for Bohemian. I think Bohemian is a bit more romantic sounding than Hippie is.... but they are similar in connotation I think. 

Speaking of Bohemian.....I ordered a pound of Bohemian Christmas from Community Candle and made up a bunch of candles.  Scent is very nice.  Description is mulling spices and fresh fir.   The name is what got me...very different so I tried it.  I wasn't looking for any pine scent as I have all I need, but you know how it goes....It just said pick me, pick me....so I did.  Has a good throw in 464 also.

Trappeur

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

Speaking of the over 60 club...we all come from the Hippie age group??  and I have noticed a FO oil available at some suppliers in the US..Mary Jane, Pot, whatever you want to call it...not able to find it in Canada.. Has anybody used this FO for sale, and if so, what's the reaction, and does it really smell like Pot???   Maybe not the right thread...but just curious.

😂😂🤣🤣

this made me spit out my coffee 

Mary Jane ......nastiest FO ever- I used peaks years ago and couldn't get the smell out of my house and it was horrible 

had a lot of explaining to do to my kids as they were younger then

your better off lighting up a real one and skipping the candle 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, moonshine said:

😂😂🤣🤣

this made me spit out my coffee 

Mary Jane ......nastiest FO ever- I used peaks years ago and couldn't get the smell out of my house and it was horrible 

had a lot of explaining to do to my kids as they were younger then

your better off lighting up a real one and skipping the candle 🤣🤣

Ok thanks..I think I will pass on Mary Jane *shudder*  And welcome Cheryl Ann...

• Like 1