Craft show - Day 1

Jcandleattic

My last craft show of the year as a vendor is this weekend, and I just finished day 1. 

By the end of the day, I am exhausted, but in a good way. It was a very good day, and I had to scramble to see if I had anything here a the house that I could fill in the gaps with, because I did so well. 

By far my biggest seller was a mix of my own making that I called The Scottish Moors. It's a mix of Celtic Storm, a touch of Embargo, with a bit of Cool Water and Duck Farts (LOL - an Aztec scent, I always change the name - it's like a fruity water scent) 

I had 15 bars of that this morning and all I have left is the unwrapped "sniffer" bar. 

There is no second place that I could tell, I'll have to tally tomorrow when it's over, because it was all over the place and few of almost everything sold. 

For candles, also no clear winner, as all of my 16oz jars sold, and I only have a handful of 5 oz jars left. And was too tired to make more tonight to take tomorrow. (I'm too old to pull all nighters anymore!! LOL) 

I didn't take any bath bombs with me, because right now the market is saturated with them, and I didn't want to just be another booth that offered them, however, to fill my booth for tomorrow I am taking some, so my booth doesn't look so empty. LOL 

I'll let y'all know how I do tomorrow when it's over. 

• Like 7

Well, the good news is I'm going to need to make soap every weekend until next September to be able to fill my tables at the shows next year. I sold out of almost everything, and only had 2 boxes to bring home with me. 

The ONLY thing I didn't sell one thing of, was a soap I made with a mix that had Asian Sandalwood in it (and I cannot for the life of me remember what I mixed it with, will have to look up my batch notes)

Bad news, I am freaking exhausted!! LOL 

I'm so glad I had the foresight to take tomorrow and Tuesday off. I swear. I don't think I could have made it to work tomorrow feeling the way I feel right now. Plus I have laundry and cleaning to do that I normally do on the weekend that didn't get done since I wasn't home. 

I will have to tally my records tomorrow also, but I think I'm very close to 20-25x my booth fee. YAY

• Like 7

Wow! Congrats on your success! I love taking empty boxes home after a hard day at a show.

I still have one day holiday craft shows every Saturday until the day before Christmas Eve.  That's about 6 shows left I think.

This year the sales have been all over the place like you said. But that also includes shows that I outdo my sales from last year and others I make less than last year. Plus I can't always tell whats gonna sell out with the exception of my oatmeal, honey, & goat milk soaps. Like last year I couldn't keep lotions stocked, this year they are moving slower except one scent with sell out at one show and another scent at another so I can't tell from one to the next if I should stock up on more than one or the other. Candle sales are weird too. Some shows they sell out and others people hardly look at them! Really screwball year! But all in all I am outdoing my sales from last year so who really cares?!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

Wow! Congrats on your success! I love taking empty boxes home after a hard day at a show.

I still have one day holiday craft shows every Saturday until the day before Christmas Eve.  That's about 6 shows left I think.

This year the sales have been all over the place like you said. But that also includes shows that I outdo my sales from last year and others I make less than last year. Plus I can't always tell whats gonna sell out with the exception of my oatmeal, honey, & goat milk soaps. Like last year I couldn't keep lotions stocked, this year they are moving slower except one scent with sell out at one show and another scent at another so I can't tell from one to the next if I should stock up on more than one or the other. Candle sales are weird too. Some shows they sell out and others people hardly look at them! Really screwball year! But all in all I am outdoing my sales from last year so who really cares?!!

It is so hard to predict! You just never know. 

All 3 shows this year I did better than last year by almost double each show. It's been a good year. :)

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Congratulations!  Sounds like you had an amazing weekend!

Great weekend. And I was invited to 2 other juried shows that usually has a 2 year waiting list. However, I declined them because the booth fee is more than I'm willing to pay. 

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

Congrats! Nothing like a sense of personal accomplishment! And a heavier pocketbook, lol!

Did you ever get around to master batching your oils? Sounds like you're going to need it! 😄

I didn't. :(

But like I said, I'm off tomorrow and Tuesday so I can get some things done then. 

On 11/11/2017 at 10:43 PM, Jcandleattic said:

Duck Farts (LOL - an Aztec scent, I always change the name - it's like a fruity water scent) 

DUCK *FARTS* + (and not even I could make this up) FRUITY... 

My dear, you have obviously NEVER smelled a duck fart! Nuff'n fruity 'bout'm. 

Nice thought though! 
(Chortles... Duck farts! Oh, Mylanta what a way to start this week! I needed that. Thank you :)

Sponiebr 
I *might* have been usurped from my throne of bad ideas... Dunno... Jury's at lunch. 

• Haha 3

Good to hear you guys are doing well at shows.  I just wrapped a 2-day show and sales were good.  Sold lots of fall and Christmas candles.  In fact, I sold out of Christmas Tree in both soy and paraffin the first day.  Fortunately, we had more in stock in the workshop so we just re-stocked the next day.  (Which, of course, means I didn't sell ANY the second day.  ROFL)  Soap sales were a mixed bag, but I'm low on cured-out inventory.  Have tons on the curing racks that will be ready to go for my next show though.  Been making soap nearly every day and my assistant has been handling the candle & tart re-stock pours.  Wax melts sold well too.  Mostly fall / Christmas scents.

I noticed an empty corner booth at this show, which is a show that's usually full.  I requested the corner booth for next year - fingers crossed!  I looooove corner booths!! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 7:07 PM, Jcandleattic said:

The ONLY thing I didn't sell one thing of, was a soap I made with a mix that had Asian Sandalwood in it

LOL I read this and immediately thought, "That would have been the one I would have bought!" so it sounds like everything was amazing, just didn't get an incense fanatic up in there.

Edited by NaughtyNancy

I just finished day 2 of a 3 day holiday fair.  Best sales ever!  And that is with pink zebra across the isle from me, and scentsy around the corner.  Lots of repeat customers too.  Feels really good when they come back for more.  2moro will wrap up my shows for the year, if I'm real lucky I will sell out and not have to cart anything back home :)