New to Candle Making

Tammy Bagwell

Hello All, 

I am new to candle making and have been surfing the web with tons of information and of course varying preferences. I’m beginning with the intent to start a business. My questions are as follows for anyone who can respond is most appreciated. 

1) preference in candle wax with the best burn longevity and fragrance

2) preference of wicks that work best with the corresponding wax

3) containers, I’m thinking about wine bottles?? Where can you purchase specialty containers for a reasonable price? 

4) can your pour candle wax in pottery as it can be pourous or can you coat the inside with something to keep it from breaking when lit? 

Sorry for so many questions and I appreciate any recommendations of where to look that provides greater detail on these items in question.

Regards, 

Tammy

Edited by Tammy Bagwell

Hello Tammy and nice to meet you!   You have certainly come to the right place to learn about the candle world.   Members here are stellar and very warm, encouraging and just great to be around.   So many chandlers here with so much knowledge it's unbelievable.

Not to be sharp, abrupt or anything but the first 2 questions you asked you will find all your answers if you go to the main page with all the headings and read all the subtitles under general candle making, veggie waxes, and go to the fragrance section.  So many come here and everyone we welcome and just love meeting new members who are newbies and experienced wise chandlers.  The same questions #1 and #2 are being asked it seems just about every day, so we don't all have to keep repeating over and over the same thing, just go and read and your answers are right there.  Also use the search box and type in what you are looking for and you will find so many discussions in all sorts of areas.

Now as far as using wine bottles, I have never seen them for sale anywhere.  I think most people make their own.

For containers with reasonable prices, varies....Look under suppliers on the main page.

Regarding pouring in pottery, I do that.  You have to make sure that the inside of the pottery is a finished glaze as the outside of the pottery.  Yes, pottery pieces I've seen on the bottoms are porous and even some entire interiors are porous.   My answer to that from my own experience is not to do at all.   And no, I would not be coating the inside of the pottery with anything or for that matter you shouldn't coat any container on the inside.   There is also another person here, Tall Tayle who makes pottery and I'm sure she will chime in on this.

So welcome!:)

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

Hi, Tammy!  Welcome.  This forum is a wonderful resource and you can find a lot of valuable information here.  Be wary of information you find around the web, and especially social media sites and personal blogs.  In addition to this forum, the Bittercreek blog has some very informative posts where you can find specific "recipes" showing wax and container type as well as what wick was used.  Of course, the wick size (and type sometimes) will vary depending on the fragrance and percentage used, but that is where testing, testing, and more testing will come in.  Still, it's a good resource to check out if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Trappeur, 

Thank you so much for the quick response and reference to the forum. 

As I’ve read, much of this is trial and error as well as personal preference. 

I will definitely take your advice with regards to pottery. I love the look and individuality of pottery hence my reason for asked by. 

Again, thank you and I will peruse about the forum for some answers to my questions. 

Tammy

Oh yes I agree...the BC forum has a wealth of knowledge there too.....

Trappeur

2 hours ago, Tammy Bagwell said:

Trappeur, 

Thank you so much for the quick response and reference to the forum. 

As I’ve read, much of this is trial and error as well as personal preference. 

I will definitely take your advice with regards to pottery. I love the look and individuality of pottery hence my reason for asked by. 

Again, thank you and I will peruse about the forum for some answers to my questions. 

Tammy

Oh your very welcome Tammy.....

You know I LOVE pottery and they are beautiful to make candles out of.  So unique and different.  They are so well suited for candles being they can handle intense heat.  I have so many pottery pieces I have bought at craft shows that I need to pour into...You will have to put up pictures of some of your pieces when you get going.....we love pictures!:)

I hope I didn't come off rude, or uppity or snotty  to you Tammy in my post above.  I'm not that way.  Would never hurt anyone's feelings...just not my style..just wanted you to know that. 

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

HI Tammy! Everyone on this forum is so helpful, you will learn so much!

Definitely get comfortable with the search function at the top, there is so much info on here, it will really help you find the answers you need quickly.

I would recommend as a starting point to find a reputable supplier near you, buy a case of reasonably priced jars and a few different 5 or 10lb bags/slabs of wax, a sampler of wicks, and one or two FOs to begin the learning process. Spend some time learning how to heat, when to pour, how to wick, and the burn characteristics of each wax. Once you get a good candle, add fragrance to the mix and see how it all changes! Personally, I wouldn't worry about finding fancy (expensive!) containers and fragrances until I felt like I mastered the basics on candle making. For me, that took just under a year. Why waste money, is my motto! 😁

Enjoy the the process too, that's so important!! This is a fun and addictive craft! 😄

Welcome to Craft Server! glad to have you with us. You asked some very good questions and I see you've already got some good answers so I won't repeat them. I just want to say read as much as you can there is a wealth of information here that will help you  on your way.

Welcome!  Best of luck with your new endeavor.  You may luck out and find someone that will cut and sand the wine bottles for you (I did for a long time and purchased them for $1 ea because I bought 100 at a time) and then he stopped doing it and it was just too much for me so I switched to jars I could purchase online.

Welcome!

my answers are within your quoted post

On 11/9/2017 at 9:42 AM, Tammy Bagwell said:

Hello All, 

I am new to candle making and have been surfing the web with tons of information and of course varying preferences. I’m beginning with the intent to start a business. My questions are as follows for anyone who can respond is most appreciated. 

1) preference in candle wax with the best burn longevity and fragrance

<< that totally depends on your entire wax/wick/container etc. >>

2) preference of wicks that work best with the corresponding wax

<<that all depends on how your tests go with your particular candle system>>

On 11/9/2017 at 9:42 AM, Tammy Bagwell said:

3) containers, I’m thinking about wine bottles?? Where can you purchase specialty containers for a reasonable price? 

<< don't know where they can be purchased, but if you find a maker, ensure they are well insured. The wine bottle candles I have seen in person can be a bit dangerous. I cut myself on one in a shop recently. Picked it up and cut mi finger on the lip.  Imagine someone sticking their hand inside to light... . If not cut and finished properly, there can be micro cracks left from the stresses of the cutting process. If your wick slips even a little bit during a burn it will be easy to crack.>>

4) can your pour candle wax in pottery as it can be pourous or can you coat the inside with something to keep it from breaking when lit? 

<< yes and no. The ceramic must be fully vitrified, non-porous and completely glazed. Plant pots are not suitable for candles. Pottery "can" be more durable than glass, but can also have catastrophic failure from something as simple as a hot coffee if not made well, or if it has a marginal glaze fit. >>

Sorry for so many questions and I appreciate any recommendations of where to look that provides greater detail on these items in question.

Regards, 

Tammy

• 2 months later...