Stearic acid in Q230?

Velma

So the 230 is performing ok for me, as is the 50/50 combo of 4730 & 415 I've recently tested. However, both feel too soft/sticky. I'm especially worried about the summer here in Texas with the softness of these waxes. 

Has anyone added Stearic Acid to 230, 4730 or 415?  I don't have any on hand to try but will order some if anyone thinks this may help. 

Do you mean 4630?

Adding stearic, or any other hardeners, will require a full retesting from beginning to end. By hardening or raising melt point you may need as little as a wick up, or a full change to your wick series. Often people will say stearic "locks up scent". It is usually because it takes more heat to get that fuel into the air. 

I give 4630 stays pretty stable in heat. I don't worry about sticky as much as slushy. You will need to test your candles in temp extremes to be sure. 

Whoops  - yes I meant the 4630.

Right now I am in the testing phase, so that is not a concern.   I've narrowed down my wax choices to either Q230  OR  a  50/50 combo of 4630 & 415.  Both perform well in containers and clam shells, however in molds, they are a bit soft for my taste.  So I would only be adding SA to wax specific use for molded tarts.  Wick choice is not a factor due to the usage I am looking for. 

I think the 4630 415 combo is a little too soft for melts. I would try adding more of a harder Pillar or votive paraffin to your blend. 

Ive added steric to 4630 at a percentage from 1-4%. At this level, I wasn't able to tell any change at all. It certainly didn't harden the wax like you are wanting. Vybar in my experience will harden it much faster, but it's too risky in trapping the scent. Too much vybar is needed to get the hardness you want in this blend without messing up the hot throw. Again, I suggest a harder paraffin wax be added. 

• 1 month later...