Best para-soy blend for container candles?

On 11/20/2017 at 1:59 AM, moonshine said:

ASO has a Midwest soy- it's their 100% soy  

I have been testing it and its a pretty nice wax, some FO's are hit and miss so far and it seems to need a long cure- like 2 weeks 

millineum is okay I still need to make more and see how I really feel 

which ones from ASO did you use and what wicks were you using?

C3....I used it years ago but not for long I didn't like the bubbles and didn't give a long enough chance but many people use it and if the changes affected where you are the biggest issue being discussed is having to wick up and some loss of throw as well

Talltayl uses it and has many good threads if you search C3 

If you can pick this up it would be worth trying out for sure if your wanting to use a soy / veggie wax rather than a parasoy or paraffin 

The soy candle you reference to trying to replicate was it a store bought brand?

I've tried all the ASO waxes...I think the throw was about the same as most...but it took some extra work to get them to look nice..Cottage cheese tops, but I tried it when I first started.  Millenium actually worked pretty good, but I would assume they were affected by the new laws in the US and had to change their waxes to???  I used HTP wicks, and our supplier here carries a very limited sizes.  Since then, I found a new supplier with more of a variety.   I have just received a coconut/soy blend wax that the supplier has said is very good...but I haven't had a chance to try it yet..hopefully this weekend.  The soy candle I referred to is made by Whitewater Premium Candle Co.  Their candles are available in gift and craft type shops in my area...not in any large retailers.

15 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

I don.t have C1 available here...the only company that has C3 here is all they carry....and they are going to supply the new Quantum waxes too...they are mainly a fragrance company (New Directions Aromatics).  I just received a Coconut/Soy blend wax, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.  The only cotton core wicks up here are Premier, and actually, I find they work pretty well.  I haven't bought any candles for a while, but I think I might get one from the company that got me into this...I actually saw a video they did with a news crew at there shop, and the wax that was in the video was NGI Advanced...their candle was awesome, but I'm not sure how it would be now that Advanced is gone..  One of these days, I will figure it out..lol

I've actually bought fo from New Directions, their margarita is awesome in C3

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 1:35 AM, Venetti said:

I've tried to find the answer to my question but was unable to. 

My question is this; what is the best parasoy for container candles?

I want the best HT/CT possible in a parasoy. 

Im trying to research a few but can't find any good information. 

Thanks in advance!

I just tried a coconut/soy blend and it poured beautiful...and had a great HT after only 48hrs. (I got impatient).. the only problem is...$$$$. 

I used to buy paddywax marketed as a Soy candle and the hot throw of a 4 oz jar covered my house I went online and on website it says they mix Soy with a food grade paraffin they do not say percentages not everyone is going to look at website for formulation but I remember feeling I had somewhat been fooled into thinking I was buying a all Soy product I learned after that it must say 100 percent Soy to be an all Soy product which are very few Soy waxes 

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2017 at 2:58 PM, Venetti said:

I'm terribly sorry catcatcandles. I've only just seen your reply. I'm a bit slow these past few weeks with being so busy. 

I've tried about every wick you could think of in IGI 6006 by itself with no luck. I'm very particular and am trying to find the perfect wick. 

The eco wicks in 6006 soot entirely too much for my liking. The entire jar ends up black when the candle dissipates. 

Most of the wicks I've tested in the IGI 6006 end up the same way. Lots of mushrooming as well. 

I've been testing IGI 6006 & GW 464. I got a 2lb bag of the 464. 

I use 5oz 6006 with 1oz 464. (For one candle/one pour.)

I've also tried 3oz 6006 + 2oz 464. 

The wick I've found to burn the best all around is the LX series. Obviously depending on your jar size and FO load, you'll have to test each size separately. 

The jars and smoke come out clean and the wick is self trimming. I love the LX series. 

How is your testing going with the 6006 and 464? I’ve also been trying EVERY wick and cannot get anything to work in straight 6006. I’m used to and love 646 but wanted a better hot throw. I was thinking of blending the two and curious how your testing went???

14 minutes ago, Ienne said:

You made me laugh! 

Yeah, I'm not enjoying this stuff but Husband will not be happy if we have to chuck all of it.  Was contemplating a beeswax, 25/75.  Any experience with that blend?

If you think soy is difficult to master, especially with the inconsistencies, beeswax is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. It is different from bag to bag. Plus, you need to find a wick that will burn beeswax cleanly, which leaves you with very few options. 

Id stick with either adding more paraffin or more soy and dial in from there. 

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

If you think soy is difficult to master, especially with the inconsistencies, beeswax is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. It is different from bag to bag. Plus, you need to find a wick that will burn beeswax cleanly, which leaves you with very few options. 

Id stick with either adding more paraffin or more soy and dial in from there. 

Thanks, TallTayl.  I think that's what I'll do.  Love your puppy, BTW!  Bet she/he loves to assist. 

6 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

Mix it with 4630 if u have any or even 6006. It will make it manageable until its gone. Or just chuck it with a big smile. I wasted too much time and money on that junk trying to make it work. Lol

Ohhhh....now you mention it, Husband says there's some 4630 kicking around.  I'll do some experimenting today and post any success in the next week.  

Thanks again - this is a lovely community! 

On 11/1/2017 at 2:28 PM, Flicker said:

This is a loaded question, it may yield you dozens of answers, none the same. ;)

However, I personally love the IGI 6006 and have been using it so long, that when I started it was still Dussek Campbell making it, then it went to BP, then to IGI. Yep, a long time. I personally love it. Enough soy to "keep it clean" enough paraffin to burn stellar and throw amazingly!

What percentage oil to you use per pound Flicker if you don't mind me asking.     Is there a long cure time too?

Trappeur

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 9:41 AM, Barbara AL said:

I like The Flaming Candle’s Problend 600 great Parasoy 

I've been using Problend 600 for about 2 years now and really like it. I used to be a 6006 user, but thought there was something better out there - and there was.

I'm constantly testing wicks, but can't seem to find the "perfect match" for an 8 oz. Candle Science mason jar. Any suggestions? Currently using a CD-12.

• 1 month later...

I love, love problend 600...always smooth tops, no need for repour. Just gotta work on my jar adhesion/wetspot issues

IGI 6006 comes in second for me. Juts wish it had a tad bit more soy content. It does smell parafin-ish

Edited by Testing123

@Testing123 I've been testing problend 600 and I agree with you that the tops are smooth with one pour. It's a beautiful wax. The hot throw doesn't seem any better to me than 464 though, which my primary reason for testing parasoy was to find better hot throw. Have you had good HT with the problend 600?

I am going through exhaustive testing with 12 oz. status jars right now and am finding good results with straight 6006 or 6006 mixed with 15 - 40% 464.    60% 6006 with 40% is burning really nicely but I am concerned the cure time will be too long to do throw tests in a timely manner.  

LX wicks definitely leading the pack when measuring soot, heat, mushroom.  

Zinc are doing great as well except for mushrooms.

CD's also doing great but at times got way too hot on longer burns.  

On 2/10/2018 at 11:51 AM, wthomas57 said:

I blended mine with the trashcan.

Stuff if just AWFUL!

Me too. I HATE it. Smelled like vinegar. I hate vinegar it is gross. All my melts smelled like vinegar. I even asked my whole family to smell my melts. I thought I was crazy lol Nope. .they all said vinegar. I didn't hint to what I thought the smell was. I'm glad I only bought 10 pounds of it to try it. Never again. 

Edited by ShelleyF
Typo