Best para-soy blend for container candles?

On 11/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, Gary in Canada said:

Hope I'm putting this in the proper thread...but I believe 6006 is a ParaSoy blend??  So if you make a candle with 6006 to sell...can you legally call it a "Soy Candle".??  I only make candles for myself and give aways to friends, my hairstylist, and servers at my local..lol.  But I have bought "soy" candles and Im just wondering if they are 100% soy, because they throw great.  I've been trying to duplicate them without any luck.  Is there any regulations on labelling??    

Since there are no candle police, I think manufacturers put whatever they want on their candles especially if the % of soy is greater than other additives.  I have this guilt thing and cannot lie to customers so I would put "soy blend" or "soy/paraffin blend" if I were doing it.  I also don't want the reputation of selling something that it wasn't if that makes any sense!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Since there are no candle police, I think manufacturers put whatever they want on their candles especially if the % of soy is greater than other additives.  I have this guilt thing and cannot lie to customers so I would put "soy blend" or "soy/paraffin blend" if I were doing it.  I also don't want the reputation of selling something that it wasn't if that makes any sense!

I appreciate your honesty kandledrazy... I have played around with pure soy for a while now, but just can't seem to get it to the quality of those "pure" soy candles I have bought..just makes me wonder if some of them are "cheating"??  Maybe they aren't, but the more I've got into it..I am REALLY curious how some of them get excellent throws out of "100% soy..  I thought I would be almost there with the hype of the Q210...and now Im back to square one...   I guess I better stick with my day job..lol....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary in Canada said:

I appreciate your honesty kandledrazy... I have played around with pure soy for a while now, but just can't seem to get it to the quality of those "pure" soy candles I have bought..just makes me wonder if some of them are "cheating"??  Maybe they aren't, but the more I've got into it..I am REALLY curious how some of them get excellent throws out of "100% soy..  I thought I would be almost there with the hype of the Q210...and now Im back to square one...   I guess I better stick with my day job..lol....

Some added like 15% FO. Which is crazy and not advised.

Most uae using a parasoy. If its over 50% soy, you can call it soy. Just cant call it all natural, or organic, or 100% spy, etc.

7 hours ago, Venetti said:

I'm almost 99.99% sure that if there is any soy at all in the candle it can be claimed as a 'soy candle.'

I'm not entirely sure, but almost positive. 

I think you're right Venetti...I've tried every wax available to me...all the temps...all the wicks, and I still can't duplicate the one I bought orignally...It's supposed to be a "soy" candle...but how do you really check to make sure?  It's a real "gray area"...

2 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

Some added like 15% FO. Which is crazy and not advised.

Most uae using a parasoy. If its over 50% soy, you can call it soy. Just cant call it all natural, or organic, or 100% spy, etc.

Thanks wthomas...I would like to try a parasoy....i think you use the 6006...but nobody up here carries it.  Our choices are soy, beeswax, or paraffin...no blends.  I have bought some "soy" candles just to compare to my own...and they seem to throw off a great scent...I don't know if its the way Im making them, or they have discovered the perfect formula...but It's driving me freaking crazy trying to figure it out..lol.   

7 minutes ago, Gary in Canada said:

Thanks wthomas...I would like to try a parasoy....i think you use the 6006...but nobody up here carries it.  Our choices are soy, beeswax, or paraffin...no blends.  I have bought some "soy" candles just to compare to my own...and they seem to throw off a great scent...I don't know if its the way Im making them, or they have discovered the perfect formula...but It's driving me freaking crazy trying to figure it out..lol.   

I use 6006 in about 1/3 of my stuff.

Those i jist call blends because they are only 30% soy.

Everything else i blend myself, other candles and wax melts.

I also use mottling parrafin in some jars.

The higher the soy... definitely less throw than parrafin. Apples to apples of course. You can get them similar by adding more fo or blending.

1 minute ago, wthomas57 said:

I use 6006 in about 1/3 of my stuff.

Those i jist call blends because they are only 30% soy.

Everything else i blend myself, other candles and wax melts.

I also use mottling parrafin in some jars.

The higher the soy... definitely less throw than parrafin. Apples to apples of course. You can get them similar by adding more fo or blending.

Im just curious..from what I understand, paraffin throws the best and seems to be very easy to work with.  Soy is difficult to work with, and doesn't throw as well.  So the only reason to have a little soy in the candle is so that it can be called a "soy" candle?  Maybe Im in left field...it doesn't really affect me, as I don't sell candles, but it's got my competitive juices flowing to try and get it right..

I like to cook too..and it took me a lot of time to get Montana type Ribs down pat..lol..same thing with candles...It's just bugging me that I can't get it quite right!!  I really appreciate and admire you folks that do it for a living... 

2 minutes ago, Gary in Canada said:

Im just curious..from what I understand, paraffin throws the best and seems to be very easy to work with.  Soy is difficult to work with, and doesn't throw as well.  So the only reason to have a little soy in the candle is so that it can be called a "soy" candle?  Maybe Im in left field...it doesn't really affect me, as I don't sell candles, but it's got my competitive juices flowing to try and get it right..

I like to cook too..and it took me a lot of time to get Montana type Ribs down pat..lol..same thing with candles...It's just bugging me that I can't get it quite right!!  I really appreciate and admire you folks that do it for a living... 

I have not personally ever thought that parrafin was "easier" to work with myself. Its easier to wick, sure... but other than that.. I dont think its easier. Parrafin cools much quicker making cleanup more difficult. Many parrafins shrink much more than soy requiring multiple pours... I dont have to repour any soy that I use. 

The REASON, though, that I do soy candles too is simple. Customers want it. At first I didn't worry about it as when I first started people didn't ask or care about the type of candle as much. Now... well, I cant do an event without about 1 of every 4 customers asking if they are soy candles. They dont know why they are asking and to be perfectly honest, they aren't educated at all. But that doesn't matter, they want soy because its the big craze right now. I provide what customer want.. or at least try to. In fact, I can barely get into a new store without them first asking if my candles are soy. Lol. Just the way it is right now. People tend to care much more now than they used to. Regardless if those concerns are misguided.

But to clarify on adding soy to your blend. If the soy is less than 50%, I just call it a blend or "with soy". If its over 50%, you can call it soy from what I understand. Gotta love American regulations right.... ridiculous. But.. live within the rules.

In my soy candles, for what they lack in throw compared to parrafin.. I just use a higher FO load. Plus they make up for it by burning a bit cleaner and slower.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

I have not personally ever thought that parrafin was "easier" to work with myself. Its easier to wick, sure... but other than that.. I dont think its easier. Parrafin cools much quicker making cleanup more difficult. Many parrafins shrink much more than soy requiring multiple pours... I dont have to repour any soy that I use. 

The REASON, though, that I do soy candles too is simple. Customers want it. At first I didn't worry about it as when I first started people didn't ask or care about the type of candle as much. Now... well, I cant do an event without about 1 of every 4 customers asking if they are soy candles. They dont know why they are asking and to be perfectly honest, they aren't educated at all. But that doesn't matter, they want soy because its the big craze right now. I provide what customer want.. or at least try to. In fact, I can barely get into a new store without them first asking if my candles are soy. Lol. Just the way it is right now. People tend to care much more now than they used to. Regardless if those concerns are misguided.

But to clarify on adding soy to your blend. If the soy is less than 50%, I just call it a blend or "with soy". If its over 50%, you can call it soy from what I understand. Gotta love American regulations right.... ridiculous. But.. live within the rules.

In my soy candles, for what they lack in throw compared to parrafin.. I just use a higher FO load. Plus they make up for it by burning a bit cleaner and slower.

I didn't even know soy candles existed until we bought this old farmhouse 7 yrs ago...we were in the local gift/craft store and saw soy candles...so I give it the sniff test, (now I know its the cold throw)..and it smelled great.  Bought it...brought it home..lit it...and wow..within no time our whole main floor had the smell of that soy candle.  Since then, I have tried to closely duplicate it, and haven't come close.  So Im just wondering if maybe it isn't a 100% soy candle... Maybe it is...maybe not.

I can see where consumers want an all natural candle...paraffin has a bad rap these days. We all want all natural, organic, vegan, non GMO, lactose free..It is 2017, but where does it end!     I just have a greater appreciation of you folks that do it as a living.  Candle consumers don't understand what goes into making the "perfect" candle...how much money is spent on testing.  I now know...lol...  

I'm still trying  to get there...and hopefully I will... If only the wax companies would produce a quality, consistent product.. 

1 minute ago, Gary in Canada said:

I didn't even know soy candles existed until we bought this old farmhouse 7 yrs ago...we were in the local gift/craft store and saw soy candles...so I give it the sniff test, (now I know its the cold throw)..and it smelled great.  Bought it...brought it home..lit it...and wow..within no time our whole main floor had the smell of that soy candle.  Since then, I have tried to closely duplicate it, and haven't come close.  So Im just wondering if maybe it isn't a 100% soy candle... Maybe it is...maybe not.

I can see where consumers want an all natural candle...paraffin has a bad rap these days. We all want all natural, organic, vegan, non GMO, lactose free..It is 2017, but where does it end!     I just have a greater appreciation of you folks that do it as a living.  Candle consumers don't understand what goes into making the "perfect" candle...how much money is spent on testing.  I now know...lol...  

I'm still trying  to get there...and hopefully I will... If only the wax companies would produce a quality, consistent product.. 

Obviously, I dont know about the candle you bought for sure .... but almost all "soy candles" on the market are soy blends.

Soy does have great cold throw (comparable or better than paraffin in my experience. But hot throw isn't the same without using a lot more

FO or without blending.Its one of the reasons so many people use 6006.... even though its tricky to wick.

I started with soy over 10 years ago and switched around until I found what I felt was the perfect soy candle- 415

throw is killer and zero soot seen even though it does, all candles do, and a nice clean burn with no trimming needed  

I then started playing with a parasoy so I could add a colored line - I never could get 415 to color without the dreaded ugly frosting and to me it was so much easier, all the way around other than finding that perfect wick that doesn't show the soot 

throw....back when 415 was 415 and consistent I didn't really think there was much difference, soy threw just as good 

granted I never to this day made an all paraffin candle but I have bought them and  I can for sure say Mccalls blows my soy out of the water in throw 😂

But it puffs black soot and I do not like that at all 

changes in soy have affected the throw I'm getting now which bothers me, I can wick down and it will work but I haven't put any out there for sale like that as of yet....trying to find an alternative and playing with 444 now - it doesn't seem to be affected like 415 but I am only into 1 test 

what type of soy is available to you Gary?

it could be done and I'm convinced it still can be done, just have to work around these changes 

I do not and will not use the new quantum waxes so I can't help you there but golden brands I may be able to help pinpoint some of the problems your having 

I also am a firm believer in being honest about your product - I wouldn't call a soy candle a soy candle unless it's 100 percent soy 

soy blend is fine because that's what it is if your adding paraffin, palm or bees but the people that call a blend a soy candle  because it has over a Certain percentage of soy are not people I want to buy from 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moonshine said:

I started with soy over 10 years ago and switched around until I found what I felt was the perfect soy candle- 415

throw is killer and zero soot seen even though it does, all candles do, and a nice clean burn with no trimming needed  

I then started playing with a parasoy so I could add a colored line - I never could get 415 to color without the dreaded ugly frosting and to me it was so much easier, all the way around other than finding that perfect wick that doesn't show the soot 

throw....back when 415 was 415 and consistent I didn't really think there was much difference, soy threw just as good 

granted I never to this day made an all paraffin candle but I have bought them and  I can for sure say Mccalls blows my soy out of the water in throw 😂

changes in soy have affected the throw I'm getting now which bothers me, I can wick down and it will work but I haven't put any out there for sale like that as of yet....trying to find an alternative and playing with 444 now - it doesn't seem to be affected like 415 but I am only into 1 test 

it could be done and I'm convinced it still can be done, just have to work around these changes 

I do not and will not use the new quantum waxes so I can't help you there but golden brands I may be able to help pinpoint some of the problems your having 

I also am a firm believer in being honest about your product - I wouldn't call a soy candle a soy candle unless it's 100 percent soy 

soy blend is fine because that's what it is if your adding paraffin, palm or bees but the people that call a blend a soy candle  because it has over a Certain percentage of soy are not people I want to buy from 

I agree... DO NOT use the quantum waxes.

And to clarify.. I said the REGULATIONS allow a candle over a certain % of soy to be called soy... it doesn't mean that I do it or advocate it. I make several different kings of candles. But it is allowed. And to be frank.. rules like that exists in all industries in this country and around the world. Examples.... "Caffeine Free" soda, coffee, and tea..... all still have caffeine. Sugar free might have little or no sugar, but they replace it with worse ingredients. So, lets be careful about acting too high and mighty here when talking about soy vs a soy blend.

Not to mention... many candle makers aren't doing that to be "shady", they are simply calling their candle consistent with the rest of the market. A candle maker calling their candle a soy candle when its 90% soy and 10% parrafin or an additive doesn't deserve (in my opinion) to be labeled as "the type of people I wouldn't buy a candle from". Lol, I think that's getting a bit stuck up to be honest. Again, they are labeling within the industry. 

And if we are going to really get serious about calling something soy or not...... we should all stop right now. Because NONE of us make 100% soy candle unless they are unscented, no dye, etc. Every candle has something in it that makes up at least a small % other than the wax, and in this case the soy. Because let's be honest here... the fragrance oils are BY FAR the most unsafe materials we use. If customers or anyone really cared so much about what they are burning in their homes, it would be the oils they asked about first. 

Of course unless you are talking about the new quantum waxes... I dont know what kinda s%^& that stuff if... but dont use it. :)

Sorry for the ranted response... I just dont think its fair of anyone to judge other people's character because they put soy on their candle instead of soy blend. It could simply be a mistake, ignorance,or just doing what is allowed in the industry. Considering most "soy candlemakers" put soy on their candles and most of the candles are parasoys.... I find it a little crazy to assume all those people are bad people. Lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Up here I have C3 available, (very close to me) I can pick up, but I've never tried it.  I've tried thee new Quantum waxes, but I am still trying to get them to work, without a lot of luck...and American Soy Organics, which for me is expensive, and I've tried them without a whole lot of success either.  One of my suppliers up here now has a "Canadian" supplier of a soy wax, and a soy/coconut wax.  I've ordered samples to see how they work out, but I haven't received them yet...not sure where they come from?  The supplier is canwax.com 

I really don't have much choice on a soy wax...my supplier only brought in 464 and other GB waxes when NGI discontinued their line...and now that the new Quantum waxes are here..that's sort of my choice..and to be honest...they are difficult to work with.  If I could try 6006, I would...but its not available up here..and to order from the US is too expensive.  So my only choices in soy are Quantum, American Soy Organics, and C3.  

I think for now, I will do the best I can, and keep giving my candles to friends, family and my hair stylist, and servers....they are very appreciative of them, and I enjoy making them. To me, they are good, but not perfect..but to them, they do enjoy them...and that to me that's what matters... 

6 minutes ago, Gary in Canada said:

Up here I have C3 available, (very close to me) I can pick up, but I've never tried it.  I've tried thee new Quantum waxes, but I am still trying to get them to work, without a lot of luck...and American Soy Organics, which for me is expensive, and I've tried them without a whole lot of success either.  One of my suppliers up here now has a "Canadian" supplier of a soy wax, and a soy/coconut wax.  I've ordered samples to see how they work out, but I haven't received them yet...not sure where they come from?  The supplier is canwax.com 

I really don't have much choice on a soy wax...my supplier only brought in 464 and other GB waxes when NGI discontinued their line...and now that the new Quantum waxes are here..that's sort of my choice..and to be honest...they are difficult to work with.  If I could try 6006, I would...but its not available up here..and to order from the US is too expensive.  So my only choices in soy are Quantum, American Soy Organics, and C3.  

I think for now, I will do the best I can, and keep giving my candles to friends, family and my hair stylist, and servers....they are very appreciative of them, and I enjoy making them. To me, they are good, but not perfect..but to them, they do enjoy them...and that to me that's what matters... 

go with C3... not the quantum waxes

go with C3... not the quantum waxes

I've tried the quantum...they are almost impossible to figure out!.  They look really nice when poured...but like you said in an earlier thread, the usual wicks that have worked in their other waxes, do not work in the Quantum waxes...the wicks sort of turn into like a little nub and die out!  I've tried just about every wick in them, and none seem to work.  Plus....when poured, they get this very beige look..not white.  

38 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I don't think I have any GB soy waxes available to me...for me to order from the US would be too expensive.   

yah its terrible stuff...

but as far as the beige or off white... that is going to be pretty much all soy. Won't be pure white

Yeah...but the Quantum is REALLY beige..more so than their old waxes...but that isn't the main problem with it..I just can't get it to burn right..  I am going to try the new products from canwax.com and see how they work out.  Maybe our laws didn't affect waxes here like they did in the US..but I'm not even sure if we have any Cdn manufacturers of wax.    

2 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

I agree... DO NOT use the quantum waxes.

And to clarify.. I said the REGULATIONS allow a candle over a certain % of soy to be called soy... it doesn't mean that I do it or advocate it. I make several different kings of candles. But it is allowed. And to be frank.. rules like that exists in all industries in this country and around the world. Examples.... "Caffeine Free" soda, coffee, and tea..... all still have caffeine. Sugar free might have little or no sugar, but they replace it with worse ingredients. So, lets be careful about acting too high and mighty here when talking about soy vs a soy blend.

Not to mention... many candle makers aren't doing that to be "shady", they are simply calling their candle consistent with the rest of the market. A candle maker calling their candle a soy candle when its 90% soy and 10% parrafin or an additive doesn't deserve (in my opinion) to be labeled as "the type of people I wouldn't buy a candle from". Lol, I think that's getting a bit stuck up to be honest. Again, they are labeling within the industry. 

And if we are going to really get serious about calling something soy or not...... we should all stop right now. Because NONE of us make 100% soy candle unless they are unscented, no dye, etc. Every candle has something in it that makes up at least a small % other than the wax, and in this case the soy. Because let's be honest here... the fragrance oils are BY FAR the most unsafe materials we use. If customers or anyone really cared so much about what they are burning in their homes, it would be the oils they asked about first. 

Of course unless you are talking about the new quantum waxes... I dont know what kinda s%^& that stuff if... but dont use it. :)

Sorry for the ranted response... I just dont think its fair of anyone to judge other people's character because they put soy on their candle instead of soy blend. It could simply be a mistake, ignorance,or just doing what is allowed in the industry. Considering most "soy candlemakers" put soy on their candles and most of the candles are parasoys.... I find it a little crazy to assume all those people are bad people. Lol

The cosmetic industry has to label their ingredients in their products- shampoos, conditioners have to label what's in their products -we could go on all day on what is required 

and sugar free and caffeine free....it's listed in the ingredients for the buyer to read exactly what's in there - high and mighty? I think your taking my comment a little to personal  - I never implied that You do this I was stating in general if wax types are not listed I won't buy 

I want to know what type of wax I'm burning when I buy a candle - it's as simple as that and if makers cant be forward as to what type of wax is in their product I won't buy from them - crazy? maybe but I do find it shady if a "soy blend" or even a soy candle doesn't list other ingredients if there are any like palm or bees or paraffin  - it's not like they are giving away their recipe

some people are very sensitive to paraffin- my brother in law has asthma attacks when paraffin is burning - others have a sensitivity to palm- etc etc etc - prettt sure I have a sensitivity to paraffin even though I make parasoy - my face feels on fire and my eyes itch 

and yes if your using 100% soy wax like 415 IS  / "soy candle" would fit the bill because it is - "fragranced with" is a give in that it has synthetic ingredients but the wax used is 100% soy

and I never said they were bad people I said I won't buy from them and that's my opinion and preference 

I do not use the words "100% soy" I use hand poured soy because I do use 100% soy, if I used 95 percent soy and say 5 percent palm I would label it soy blended with palm 

my parasoy will be labeled just that parasoy - a blend of paraffin and soy 

Edited by moonshine

2 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

ASO has a Midwest soy- it's their 100% soy  

I have been testing it and its a pretty nice wax, some FO's are hit and miss so far and it seems to need a long cure- like 2 weeks 

millineum is okay I still need to make more and see how I really feel 

which ones from ASO did you use and what wicks were you using?

C3....I used it years ago but not for long I didn't like the bubbles and didn't give a long enough chance but many people use it and if the changes affected where you are the biggest issue being discussed is having to wick up and some loss of throw as well

Talltayl uses it and has many good threads if you search C3 

If you can pick this up it would be worth trying out for sure if your wanting to use a soy / veggie wax rather than a parasoy or paraffin 

The soy candle you reference to trying to replicate was it a store bought brand?

Edited by moonshine

@Gary in Canada I found a YouTube video of that company you noted in your intro. In that video they were using (from memory) was cb advanced. Those cartons were stuffed into every nook and cranny of the production area of the video. 

Given that, the other part of the excellent fragrance equation is where they sourced their fragrance. That was not in the video. It is possible they were using something made for them in their fragrance lab, versus commonly retail available to us. 

10 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

Gary have you tried the C1?  It should be available if C3 is.  It is a blend of soy and palm waxes.  I used it for colored candles when I did that because it colors way better than C3.  I also found it was a bit easier to wick.  You do have to play with fo % because palm can't always hold as much.  At one point I even blended C1 & C3, but I lost all my old notes so couldn't say what the % I used of each.  It takes a while, but I was able to work out most of the kinks with C3.  I use cotton core wicks in my jars the 60C or 62C, most my jars are around 3.25-3.5" diam.  There are many scents out there from many suppliers that throw great in C3.  Don't try to compare 100% soy to paraffin for throw and definitely don't compare to major suppliers candles (they def cheat, lol).  Make a candle that you're happy with the look, burn & throw. 

I have soy candles right now from a mid sized supplier in Calif,  all their scents are signature scents and it burns horribly.  This company sells tons of candles.  The flame is huge on all 6 scents and I'm sure there is soot (dark jars so can't tell till they burn down enough). Melt pool over 1" in 30 mins.   Throw is good on some and decent on some.  I buy because I'm addicted but can't help but notice what happens when I burn them, it's in my blood!

On 11/20/2017 at 10:04 AM, kandlekrazy said:

Gary have you tried the C1?  It should be available if C3 is.  It is a blend of soy and palm waxes.  I used it for colored candles when I did that because it colors way better than C3.  I also found it was a bit easier to wick.  You do have to play with fo % because palm can't always hold as much.  At one point I even blended C1 & C3, but I lost all my old notes so couldn't say what the % I used of each.  It takes a while, but I was able to work out most of the kinks with C3.  I use cotton core wicks in my jars the 60C or 62C, most my jars are around 3.25-3.5" diam.  There are many scents out there from many suppliers that throw great in C3.  Don't try to compare 100% soy to paraffin for throw and definitely don't compare to major suppliers candles (they def cheat, lol).  Make a candle that you're happy with the look, burn & throw. 

I have soy candles right now from a mid sized supplier in Calif,  all their scents are signature scents and it burns horribly.  This company sells tons of candles.  The flame is huge on all 6 scents and I'm sure there is soot (dark jars so can't tell till they burn down enough). Melt pool over 1" in 30 mins.   Throw is good on some and decent on some.  I buy because I'm addicted but can't help but notice what happens when I burn them, it's in my blood!

I don.t have C1 available here...the only company that has C3 here is all they carry....and they are going to supply the new Quantum waxes too...they are mainly a fragrance company (New Directions Aromatics).  I just received a Coconut/Soy blend wax, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.  The only cotton core wicks up here are Premier, and actually, I find they work pretty well.  I haven't bought any candles for a while, but I think I might get one from the company that got me into this...I actually saw a video they did with a news crew at there shop, and the wax that was in the video was NGI Advanced...their candle was awesome, but I'm not sure how it would be now that Advanced is gone..  One of these days, I will figure it out..lol

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 9:30 AM, TallTayl said:

@Gary in Canada I found a YouTube video of that company you noted in your intro. In that video they were using (from memory) was cb advanced. Those cartons were stuffed into every nook and cranny of the production area of the video. 

Given that, the other part of the excellent fragrance equation is where they sourced their fragrance. That was not in the video. It is possible they were using something made for them in their fragrance lab, versus commonly retail available to us. 

Could be TallTayl...I think I may buy one of their candles this weekend to see how it is now. I wonder if they are going through all the problems with the new formulations that we are.. Maybe they do get their fragrances made for them...all I know is, they throw like crazy!!