Do any of you have any experience with making glitter body spray ? Id like to use a base. I have Catalinas Hydrating Botanical Mist but I noticed it gets sticky on the skin when I use

a descent amount of FO (even staying within the recommended amount) so I was thinking about getting the spray base from The Candlemakers Store ? Anyhow, can either of these

be used not sure which would be better and also how is the glitter suspended, do you add something. I was think about using glitter I have from Mad Micas. Lastly will the glitter clog

the sprayer ? Sorry for the long winded questions :( 

I used to just use clyclo/fo/glitter when I used to make my glitter spray (but I only made it for myself and my daughter) - cosmetic grade fine is the glitter I used and it never clogged the sprayer. 

The glitter I've gotten from Mad Micas is super fine, so I'm sure it'd be fine as well. 

Sorry, I've never used a base, so can't help you there. 

• Thanks 1

I've used Catalina's before and never noticed that.  It has been a while and I only used it with EO.  Did you try the spray without fo just to see if it's the base or the addition of fo?  Like I said, it's been some time and the formula for the base may have changed since I used it.  Mad Micas glitter worked just fine in it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I've used Catalina's before and never noticed that.  It has been a while and I only used it with EO.  Did you try the spray without fo just to see if it's the base or the addition of fo?  Like I said, it's been some time and the formula for the base may have changed since I used it.  Mad Micas glitter worked just fine in it.

I noticed the less FO I used the less sticky it was. I even gave them a call + they did say the hydrating mist is a bit tricky to use with FO + can become sticky. She said the regular

Body Spray Base has much less issues with feeling sticky since it can accept more FO. I should have followed my gut and bought that one ??? IDK :( Maybe tacky is a better 

way to describe it ??? IDK to me they basically mean the same thing . I do like their A C +E lotion base and would love to try their Avocado Body Butter + The Whipped Body 

Mousse. They also have M+P bases that I haven't seen anywhere else like the Macadamia Kukui Sulfate free - Lots of great stuff on there :) 

I was even thinking of using cyclo like JCandle suggested but Im not sure how it feels on the skin etc.

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I was even thinking of using cyclo like JCandle suggested but Im not sure how it feels on the skin etc.

From what I remember it feels smooth and silky. Very light and like you are not even spraying anything, but if you touch it, it does feel a bit slick. (hope that makes sense, it's been years since I've made/used anything with cyclo)

However, because it's oil based, you have to be careful of getting it on clothes because it can stain. 

19 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I noticed the less FO I used the less sticky it was. I even gave them a call + they did say the hydrating mist is a bit tricky to use with FO + can become sticky. She said the regular

Body Spray Base has much less issues with feeling sticky since it can accept more FO. I should have followed my gut and bought that one ??? IDK :( Maybe tacky is a better 

way to describe it ??? IDK to me they basically mean the same thing . I do like their A C +E lotion base and would love to try their Avocado Body Butter + The Whipped Body 

Mousse. They also have M+P bases that I haven't seen anywhere else like the Macadamia Kukui Sulfate free - Lots of great stuff on there :) 

Try one with EO if you have any.  I honestly don't remember sticky as that would have bothered me.  I love her lotion and butter bases, actually haven't bought much there that I don't like.  I've been buying from her for a long time now and in the beginning she had very few bases but keeps adding product as she develops it.  I'm going to try her MP bases after the holdiays!

I found the Synthetic fluorphlogopite suspends well with no special base. Glitters and micas all settle quickly. 

I bought 4 oz here which will last me a lifetime: https://nurturesoap.com/products/super-sparkles-mineral-glitter

you use atiny pinch for a whole bottle. I just use my normal body spray formula (water, perfumers alcohol, FO/eo modifier, scent, preservative).

for a little color, some micas, like orange in my case, stained the water and suspended enough to look orange tinted. But you can use liquid or water soluble pigments or dyes. 

I love Cyclo as a base for sprays, I don't find it to have any stickiness at all, it feels very silky to me. I like to layer it with lotion though, because it isn't hydrating. Have you considered adding glitter to your lotion base? I think it sticks much better that way and it's less messy. But maybe the spray is a more fun project for what you have in mind. :)

I love the Mad Mica glitters, and Nurture has some great ones too.