Jump to content
Belinda

What wax do you use for clams?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Nickie said:

I reached out to them for clarification on this recently. 

125 is 4630

129 is 4794

130 is 6006

141 is 4625

 

but please note, candlewic only purchases the base waxes from igi, then throws in their own additives to produce thier final product. So therefore, they are a like product, not an exact match to the IGI waxes. The consistency may NOT be exactly the same from thecandlewic waxes to IGI waxes. 

 

Thank you!! That is so helpful!

 

And here I thought the 129 was 4625... But actually that's the 141... Now I have to ponder this. 🤔

 

I tell you what, whatever CW is adding is some kind of magic ingredient, because even the duds I make with the 125 are still pretty good candles! Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

 

Thank you!! That is so helpful!

 

And here I thought the 129 was 4625... But actually that's the 141... Now I have to ponder this. 🤔

 

I tell you what, whatever CW is adding is some kind of magic ingredient, because even the duds I make with the 125 are still pretty good candles! Lol

Now I am thinking the 129 is blended with a bit of 4627 ,the messy greasy wax . I love CW 129 for wax melts . Thank you for the info ,good to know . If you find out the magic ingredients ,let us know lol 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Now I am thinking the 129 is blended with a bit of 4627 ,the messy greasy wax . I love CW 129 for wax melts . Thank you for the info ,good to know . If you find out the magic ingredients ,let us know lol 😀

I have a small amount if 141 on hand ,thinking I will purchase some 125 on my next 129 order and blend the 141 &125 to see if this will make a fantastic melt . I like blending wax and testing the results. I like the 4630 -4625 blend ,so thinking I will try CW waxes together that are the same .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 9:56 PM, Ravens said:

Belinda, I no longer make clamshells; I make wax brittle and package it in the 1/2 lb. coffee bags that I buy from Uline or PaperMart. 

The wax combo (4786 & 650) is hard, hard enough it would easily pop out of a clamshell, I believe.

Thanks! I will try that blend. I have both of those here. I use the coffee bags too and LOVE the primitive look with a cute label. That's my favorite way of packaging shaped tarts too!

I'm so glad to see you on here again too! I've missed your input and your humor! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, Ravens said:

Belinda, I no longer make clamshells; I make wax brittle and package it in the 1/2 lb. coffee bags that I buy from Uline or PaperMart. 

The wax combo (4786 & 650) is hard, hard enough it would easily pop out of a clamshell, I believe.

Welcome back!  I remember you seemed to of been an all paraffin gal.  Do you just like the looks of parasoy better?  I bet this blend is creamy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For years I made paraffin candles, but a year or so back decided to move away from burning paraffin for health reasons and decided to try my hand at soy tins.  GB 444 was recommended by a fellow candlemaker and it worked tremendously.  As per usual I ordered it in bulk so I was overrun with soy wax flakes.  I decided that I didn't want to burn the soy either and moved onto clamshells/melts.  Owing to the fact that I had about 40lbs of GB 444 I decided to use that for clamshells.  It has been a resounding success.  I load it up to 12% FO and both the cold and hot throw is amazing.  Yes, I do have a lot of frosting, but I make them exclusively for myself and friends/family who request them, so aesthetics are not high on my list as a selling point.  Fragrance is King!

 

Not the prettiest, I'll give you that, but certainly fragrant.

 

Edited to say:  I read in another thread about not adding color and just leaving the wax natural ro allow for the color fading and frosted look, and think that is something I may do in the future. The uncolored melts look awesome.

 

Melts.JPG

Edited by Margaritamama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Margaritamama, I really like the way your tarts look with the frosting! Seriously, it's like a soft pair of stone-washed denim jeans, or river rocks after they've dried in the sun. Prior to my foray into wax crafts, I always thought the frosting on soy was on purpose. ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Margaritamama, those look very nice! I've been blending some of KY's tart wax and TCS wax for clams and so far I love it. I haven't tested it for scent throw yet but I've used KY's wax as a stand alone before and it seemed to have great scent throw. Hopefully with more paraffin it'll be just as good if not better. I've never tried all soy but it sure is a thought. I do have a couple of soy clams that I got somewhere and the cold throw is very strong in both of them and they're at least 3 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Margaritamama said:

For years I made paraffin candles, but a year or so back decided to move away from burning paraffin for health reasons and decided to try my hand at soy tins.  GB 444 was recommended by a fellow candlemaker and it worked tremendously.  As per usual I ordered it in bulk so I was overrun with soy wax flakes.  I decided that I didn't want to burn the soy either and moved onto clamshells/melts.  Owing to the fact that I had about 40lbs of GB 444 I decided to use that for clamshells.  It has been a resounding success.  I load it up to 12% FO and both the cold and hot throw is amazing.  Yes, I do have a lot of frosting, but I make them exclusively for myself and friends/family who request them, so aesthetics are not high on my list as a selling point.  Fragrance is King!

 

Not the prettiest, I'll give you that, but certainly fragrant.

 

Edited to say:  I read in another thread about not adding color and just leaving the wax natural ro allow for the color fading and frosted look, and think that is something I may do in the future. The uncolored melts look awesome.

 

Melts.JPG

Hi ! Lol you got me wanting to try 444 soy for wax melts now .It is a never ending Adventure 😀These look awesome.I agree looks like distressed denim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Margaritamama said:

For years I made paraffin candles, but a year or so back decided to move away from burning paraffin for health reasons and decided to try my hand at soy tins.  GB 444 was recommended by a fellow candlemaker and it worked tremendously.  As per usual I ordered it in bulk so I was overrun with soy wax flakes.  I decided that I didn't want to burn the soy either and moved onto clamshells/melts.  Owing to the fact that I had about 40lbs of GB 444 I decided to use that for clamshells.  It has been a resounding success.  I load it up to 12% FO and both the cold and hot throw is amazing.  Yes, I do have a lot of frosting, but I make them exclusively for myself and friends/family who request them, so aesthetics are not high on my list as a selling point.  Fragrance is King!

 

Not the prettiest, I'll give you that, but certainly fragrant.

 

Edited to say:  I read in another thread about not adding color and just leaving the wax natural ro allow for the color fading and frosted look, and think that is something I may do in the future. The uncolored melts look awesome.

 

Melts.JPG

How long did you cure before testing the 444?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×