What wax do you use for clams?

Belinda

8 hours ago, Nickie said:

I reached out to them for clarification on this recently. 

125 is 4630

129 is 4794

130 is 6006

141 is 4625

but please note, candlewic only purchases the base waxes from igi, then throws in their own additives to produce thier final product. So therefore, they are a like product, not an exact match to the IGI waxes. The consistency may NOT be exactly the same from thecandlewic waxes to IGI waxes. 

Thank you!! That is so helpful!

And here I thought the 129 was 4625... But actually that's the 141... Now I have to ponder this. 🤔

I tell you what, whatever CW is adding is some kind of magic ingredient, because even the duds I make with the 125 are still pretty good candles! Lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Thank you!! That is so helpful!

And here I thought the 129 was 4625... But actually that's the 141... Now I have to ponder this. 🤔

I tell you what, whatever CW is adding is some kind of magic ingredient, because even the duds I make with the 125 are still pretty good candles! Lol

Now I am thinking the 129 is blended with a bit of 4627 ,the messy greasy wax . I love CW 129 for wax melts . Thank you for the info ,good to know . If you find out the magic ingredients ,let us know lol 😀

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Now I am thinking the 129 is blended with a bit of 4627 ,the messy greasy wax . I love CW 129 for wax melts . Thank you for the info ,good to know . If you find out the magic ingredients ,let us know lol 😀

I have a small amount if 141 on hand ,thinking I will purchase some 125 on my next 129 order and blend the 141 &125 to see if this will make a fantastic melt . I like blending wax and testing the results. I like the 4630 -4625 blend ,so thinking I will try CW waxes together that are the same .

• Like 2

On 11/12/2017 at 9:56 PM, Ravens said:

Belinda, I no longer make clamshells; I make wax brittle and package it in the 1/2 lb. coffee bags that I buy from Uline or PaperMart. 

The wax combo (4786 & 650) is hard, hard enough it would easily pop out of a clamshell, I believe.

Thanks! I will try that blend. I have both of those here. I use the coffee bags too and LOVE the primitive look with a cute label. That's my favorite way of packaging shaped tarts too!

I'm so glad to see you on here again too! I've missed your input and your humor! 

On 11/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, Ravens said:

Belinda, I no longer make clamshells; I make wax brittle and package it in the 1/2 lb. coffee bags that I buy from Uline or PaperMart. 

The wax combo (4786 & 650) is hard, hard enough it would easily pop out of a clamshell, I believe.

Welcome back!  I remember you seemed to of been an all paraffin gal.  Do you just like the looks of parasoy better?  I bet this blend is creamy!

For years I made paraffin candles, but a year or so back decided to move away from burning paraffin for health reasons and decided to try my hand at soy tins.  GB 444 was recommended by a fellow candlemaker and it worked tremendously.  As per usual I ordered it in bulk so I was overrun with soy wax flakes.  I decided that I didn't want to burn the soy either and moved onto clamshells/melts.  Owing to the fact that I had about 40lbs of GB 444 I decided to use that for clamshells.  It has been a resounding success.  I load it up to 12% FO and both the cold and hot throw is amazing.  Yes, I do have a lot of frosting, but I make them exclusively for myself and friends/family who request them, so aesthetics are not high on my list as a selling point.  Fragrance is King!

Not the prettiest, I'll give you that, but certainly fragrant.

Edited to say:  I read in another thread about not adding color and just leaving the wax natural ro allow for the color fading and frosted look, and think that is something I may do in the future. The uncolored melts look awesome.

Melts.JPG

Edited by Margaritamama
  • Like 1

@Margaritamama, those look very nice! I've been blending some of KY's tart wax and TCS wax for clams and so far I love it. I haven't tested it for scent throw yet but I've used KY's wax as a stand alone before and it seemed to have great scent throw. Hopefully with more paraffin it'll be just as good if not better. I've never tried all soy but it sure is a thought. I do have a couple of soy clams that I got somewhere and the cold throw is very strong in both of them and they're at least 3 years old.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Margaritamama said:

For years I made paraffin candles, but a year or so back decided to move away from burning paraffin for health reasons and decided to try my hand at soy tins.  GB 444 was recommended by a fellow candlemaker and it worked tremendously.  As per usual I ordered it in bulk so I was overrun with soy wax flakes.  I decided that I didn't want to burn the soy either and moved onto clamshells/melts.  Owing to the fact that I had about 40lbs of GB 444 I decided to use that for clamshells.  It has been a resounding success.  I load it up to 12% FO and both the cold and hot throw is amazing.  Yes, I do have a lot of frosting, but I make them exclusively for myself and friends/family who request them, so aesthetics are not high on my list as a selling point.  Fragrance is King!

Edited to say:  I read in another thread about not adding color and just leaving the wax natural ro allow for the color fading and frosted look, and think that is something I may do in the future. The uncolored melts look awesome.

Melts.JPG

Hi ! Lol you got me wanting to try 444 soy for wax melts now .It is a never ending Adventure 😀These look awesome.I agree looks like distressed denim.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Margaritamama said:

Melts.JPG

How long did you cure before testing the 444?

3 hours ago, Margaritamama said:

I generally let them sit for 7-10 days before using them, but I have had friends tell me that they use them 2-3 days after I've poured and they still smell amazing.

Have you ever added paraffin to the 444? I am thinking about adding a little 4630 to see what results I get .I do want the wax to still have the look you get from it thou .So excited to try the 444 alone & a mix 😁

On 11/25/2017 at 6:10 PM, katmeltswax said:

Have you ever added paraffin to the 444? I am thinking about adding a little 4630 to see what results I get .I do want the wax to still have the look you get from it thou .So excited to try the 444 alone & a mix 😁

No I haven't.  I really just started using the wax for melts because I had SO MUCH of it and didn't want to make candles anymore.  I have read that adding soy pillar wax works well, but I have had so much success with my 444 that I really don't feel the need.

1 hour ago, Margaritamama said:

No I haven't.  I really just started using the wax for melts because I had SO MUCH of it and didn't want to make candles anymore.  I have read that adding soy pillar wax works well, but I have had so much success with my 444 that I really don't feel the need.

Lol I am 444 shopping today ,always use paraffin,however your story has inspired me to give this wax a try.I have tried some soy in the past ,but never came up with a tart that could beat the paraffin.Thank you and I will let you know how this comes out for me .

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 11:44 AM, lovelyscents said:

I have only tested about a handful of oils in it and it performed VERY well, but once I got down to the bottom of the batch, I had particles or some type of additive that did not melt in my presto and it even transferred into my finished product (photos attached).  I love their oils and the tart wax I tried (aside from the last amount that had the unmelted pieces in it).

20171020_222344.jpg

20171020_223843.jpg

Update on this. Loren was unable to identify what this could be except that it could of been that batch, he has had no other complaints.  I am thinking that it had to be because it was the bottom of the bag that I had left?  Will try this wax again, I have received nothing but great customer service from Loren and the ladies that work for him.  Plus we all know how great their oils are!

Do let us know how your testing goes with that wax @lovelyscents!

I just got my shipment of CBL 130 and CBL 141 today! Candlewic ships so fast to me!! I'm pouring a few tarts in the CBL 130 tonight, I figure a week cure will be good? It looks like it's at least 50% soy. I know it's a little soft for tarts on its own, but I'm curious to see how it performs.

I'm planning on pouring some CBL 141 tarts tomorrow. I wish I had kept some of the tarts I made with the 129, because I can't tell much difference between the two, and I know the notes I took back when I was testing the 129 weren't very detailed. 😰

I know the 141 has a higher melt point, which has me speculating about fragrance longevity. So many factors to play around with!

• Like 1

I have been using 141 for years.  Very hard wax...pops right out of the clams and warmer bowls.   

Fragrance longevity is excellent. I have cut down on the fragrance load to about 5% per pound with most scents. 

Love this wax. 

I have blended  with 30% 125 but it didn’t make enough of of a difference to mess with it again.

Let well enough alone, I say! 

Sarah S....I have some 129 but never made tarts with it.   I will give it a go and see how it compares to 141...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

I'm planning on pouring some CBL 141 tarts tomorrow. I wish I had kept some of the tarts I made with the 129, because I can't tell much difference between the two, and I know the notes I took back when I was testing the 129 weren't very detailed. 😰

I know the 141 has a higher melt point, which has me speculating about fragrance longevity. So many factors to play around with!

My understanding after Nikki got clarification from CW is the 141 is 4625 and the 129 is 4794.  Therefore, the throw may seem similar, but many have noted 4794 a stronger but not as long lasting throw as 4625 in past threads.  Curious to hear your results, this craft is so subjective lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 11:15 PM, Nickie said:

I reached out to them for clarification on this recently. 

125 is 4630

129 is 4794

130 is 6006

141 is 4625

but please note, candlewic only purchases the base waxes from igi, then throws in their own additives to produce thier final product. So therefore, they are a like product, not an exact match to the IGI waxes. The consistency may NOT be exactly the same from thecandlewic waxes to IGI waxes. 

This statement makes sense because I was just wondering how their 130 could be 6006 when CW blend is 50/50 (I reached out to them) and 6006 is 70/30.

• Like 1

I know there have been some negative feelings towards the new EcoSoya waxes. However, I have fallen in love with the new Q230 for tarts/clamshells. I agree that it is a bit too soft to want to use it for pillars, but for clamshells it is perfect! I use a 9-12% fragrance load, add fragrance at 185*F and pour into my clamshells at around 170*F. They do take at least a week and a half to 2 weeks for the best cure, but it has been well worth the wait. The cold and hot throw has been amazing! I would definitely recommend giving that wax a try if you haven't. Oh, and the wax really holds color well which is a plus too!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, runner14jc said:

I know there have been some negative feelings towards the new EcoSoya waxes. However, I have fallen in love with the new Q230 for tarts/clamshells. I agree that it is a bit too soft to want to use it for pillars, but for clamshells it is perfect! I use a 9-12% fragrance load, add fragrance at 185*F and pour into my clamshells at around 170*F. They do take at least a week and a half to 2 weeks for the best cure, but it has been well worth the wait. The cold and hot throw has been amazing! I would definitely recommend giving that wax a try if you haven't. Oh, and the wax really holds color well which is a plus too!

Does your 230 have a strong vinegar type odor? I ordered both 220 &230 samples from Candlewic, could not get passed the horrible smell .I am glad to hear your getting good results .I have not heard many reviews on this new wax .

2 minutes ago, Candle husband said:

I am using the CBL 130wax from candlewic

I use it for clamshell and melts 

It's a para soy blend!

I really love this wax

Do you have to allow a cure time with the130 wax ? I use CW 129 often ,get great results with most scents .

On 2/13/2018 at 6:08 PM, Sarah S said:

Do let us know how your testing goes with that wax @lovelyscents!

I just got my shipment of CBL 130 and CBL 141 today! Candlewic ships so fast to me!! I'm pouring a few tarts in the CBL 130 tonight, I figure a week cure will be good? It looks like it's at least 50% soy. I know it's a little soft for tarts on its own, but I'm curious to see how it performs.

I use CW 129 & get very good results ,however I have never used the 141 to compare. I also  use a blend of 4625 &4630 .I just received some 464 & experimenting with a blend of 4630,4625 &464 , curious to see the results with wax melts .I do have a sample of the 141. The melting point is high ,so I was concerned how tarts may melt in low watt burners idk.