Palm wax questions

Ugh.  I ordered a bunch of Sparkle Light from Peak last year when it was on sale.  I've got the wicking down pat with that wax, and now I'm almost out, and I can't find anyone else that carries it.  Is there another supplier for Sparkle Light that I'm just missing?

I can order Glass Glow, which I have used before, but I don't have my notes on that one, so I'm not sure if the wicking will be the same.   I use RRD's and status jars.  Would be willing to try CSN's...maybe..  But I've got the RRD's dialed in really good, and really hoping not to have to change anything if I can't find Sparkle Light.  Would there be any difference in the wicking between the two  types of palm?

Lastly, are inconsistencies likely between one batch of palm and the next?  I realize this can happen with any wax, but since it's a natural wax I wondered if maybe there was a greater likelihood.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I found the Sparkle Light and the Glass Glow wicking in my containers to be the same in the containers I make. 

I use CD's for these palm candles, and I never could get the wicking correct with CSN's in it. I've never use RRD wicks, so can't help you there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never found "sparkle light" anywhere else. 

onenthing I DO know, is if/when you decide to switch to glass glow, order all you think of might need, and a little more before the holiday season. It tends to go out of stock everywhere all at once. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

onenthing I DO know, is if/when you decide to switch to glass glow, order all you think of might need, and a little more before the holiday season. It tends to go out of stock everywhere all at once. 

Thanks for the tip.  I hadn't considered it would go out of stock, and I do need a good deal to get thru the holidays.

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

When using container palm wax 

candles you poke hoes in the semi hardened wax , did I read this right 

do you then pour hot wax immediately after the holes are poked ? 

Just now, Moonstar said:

When using container palm wax 

candles you poke hoes in the semi hardened wax , did I read this right 

do you then pour hot wax immediately after the holes are poked ? 

There are loads of ways to make them. That is one that works ok.

• Thanks 1

I also bought the sparkle light last year at Peaks when it went on sale. Honestly, I did not like it one bit and found it flawed. But I won't go into that. I just assumed I got some bad batches of wax.

I find that sparkle, crystal, and glass glow all work great with RRD's or CSN's. My preference is the CSN wicks over the RRDs.

The closest wax to sparkle is crystal palm. You can find it at Candlewic. Because Candlewic blends their own waxes in their factory they make a consistent and superior palm wax that never lets me down. Candles & Supplies used to carry it but not sure they still do.

If you buy crystal palm at Candlewic you can also pick up some RRD wicks there.

I went back with glass glow this year because it has always been my favorite container palm wax. It makes the nicest crystal patterns. My backup wax when I can't get the glass glow is Candlewic's crystal palm container wax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Candybee.  I was leaning toward purchasing Candlewic's palm, so that's great to know. 

I had good results with the Sparkle Light.  Plenty of crystals.  But I was only doing small batch and slow cooling them inside my wooden soap molds covered with a box.  I wouldn't have been able to do that with large batches, which may have made all the difference.

For anyone that may be interested...I've always used RRD wicks with all my palm candles.  I don't love the tall flame, but even with the larger flame the jar doesn't get too hot, so it works pretty well.  I've recently been testing with Premier wicks and will also be testing HTP's within the next couple of days.  The Premiers have a smaller flame than the RRD's.  I am encouraged by that, but I'm not sure I can get a clean jar at the end without it getting too hot.  I'm about 2/3 through my first tester jars.  I'll post my results when I have them.

26 minutes ago, pcbrook said:

I have been using the premiers in palm wax for a couple years.  That wick works great for me.

That is good to hear! I have some of those. And performas. 

What size premier would you suggest for a 16 oz salsa with GG?

hoping to do a side by side. I love glass glow in the winter months, they are sooooo cheery flickering behind the frosted wax film.

For my pint canning jars I start out with the 770s and go up and down from there.  But the salsa jars are straight sided if I remember right.  I guess I would start with a little bigger one like a 775 or 780 just to see what happens.    HTH

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcbrook said:

I have been using the premiers in palm wax for a couple years.  That wick works great for me.

I am kinda blown away by how well they are performing.   I have always used the RRD's because that's what Peak recommended, and once I figured them out, it worked.  But the lower flame height with the Premiers makes me so very happy.  

I am having good luck with 765 & 767 in the status jars.  The jar is cleaning up on the 4th burn and is still at a good temp. I've only tested 5 fragrances so far, but wow these Premiers are impressive.

• Thanks 1

I need to correct my previous post.  I made an error in my notes.  Thank goodness I had labeled the candles.

The Premiers that are turning me on in the sparkle light palm wax are sizes 775 & 777.  NOT 765 & 767.  I made an error in my notes, but thankfully caught it today before I poured more testers.  Didn't want to mislead anyone.

• Like 1

I am testing the RRD against the premiers in 16 oz salsa jars (Both of these are underwicked in this jar.) Both jars poured at the same time from the same pour pot. 

The RRD 40 burns almost identically to the premier 767, but look at the discoloration of the premier.

IMG_2211.JPGIMG_2212.JPG

Just now, TallTayl said:

Yes. All the same. No dye. 

I have no explanation for that!  For once I am speechless!  :o    I used to use the RRDs but I sometimes would get big balls of carbon on the wicks.  So much so that they would go out.  I never have that problem with the Premiers and I never saw discoloration to that extent.  There possibly might have been a little at times but it was never enough to get my attention like that candle would.  

So weird!

I have been testing the Premiers, but they are all heavily colored so I haven't had the discoloration in palm.  But I have seen that same discoloration when I tried Premiers in a paraffin blend I had......that I thought was a parasoy, but that's a different story for a different day.  

I'm using RRD 40's and 47's in status jars (I really wish there was a size between those two), but generally one or the other gets the job done.  I would have thought the salsa jar would wick about the same.  Shows what I know.

These salsa jars are pretty wide compared to the status I have on the shelf.

I just love how Palm burns. These slightly underwicked candles can be lit in early morning and extinguished late at night and always look perfect. I don't wick for a big melt pool with GG.

• 6 months later...

I'm bringing this one back up, because I'm super duper excited about the Palm wax I got from Candlewic, but like a dummy I totally forgot about the wicks.

I was thinking about ordering either CSNs from Candle Science, or premiers from Flaming. I will have both large and small containers, the 22oz apothecary and 8.5oz tumbler from EAP. Does either wick series perform better in large vs small containers? And any suggestions where I should start with sizes? All I've ever used are HTPs, so this is all new territory for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!